E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed K&N Filter

Old 11-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

So I decided to remove the charcoal filter earlier this week and ended up ordering the new K&N filter to replace the stock, orange filter. Definitely a noticeable difference and sound from the car. I'm sure it's much greater with the 550, but not a bad mod for $50. Next up, remap of the ECU by Superchips.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='351520' date='Nov 2 2006, 11:56 PM
So I decided to remove the charcoal filter earlier this week and ended up ordering the new K&N filter to replace the stock, orange filter. Definitely a noticeable difference and sound from the car. I'm sure it's much greater with the 550, but not a bad mod for $50. Next up, remap of the ECU by Superchips.

Just thought I'd share.
ya it is very good and easy mod
Old 11-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M Sport Package white 2002 996 C2 silver 1997 993 C2s red
Talking

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='351520' date='Nov 2 2006, 10:56 AM

Just thought I'd share.
does it need frequent clean-ups?

where did u order the filter?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by ferri' post='351557' date='Nov 2 2006, 12:06 PM
does it need frequent clean-ups?

where did u order the filter?
I ordered it from these guys... http://www.autoanything.com/. They were the cheapest and shipping was free in the US. Not only that, but I ordered it on Monday and got it Tuesday, even with the Free Ground Shipping...not bad.

As for cleaning, it does, but not that often. K&N has the million mile warranty. It's suggested that you clean the filter every 10K-15K miles. Personally, if I find the filter that dirty, I'll just buy a new one for $45.

I've had my K&N on my SUV for almost 3 years now and it still sounds great. But I'm sure that too, could use a cleaning or a new filter. Hmmm...thanks for reminding me. Now that you mention it, I'm going to order a new one for my truck now.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='351520' date='Nov 2 2006, 07:56 AM

Just thought I'd share.

based on your post, i just ordered mine (via paypal, too) - thanks!
(man, the things we come up with to spend money on )
Old 11-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by daydok' post='351585' date='Nov 2 2006, 12:45 PM
based on your post, i just ordered mine (via paypal, too) - thanks!
(man, the things we come up with to spend money on )
LOL! I just ordered a new filter for my truck 2 seconds ago too! I'm too lazy to clean it and since the cleaning kit costs $20, I figured I might as well just pay an extra $20 and get a new one.

Let me know what you think, when you get it. I would give the car a day or so before making any comments. The first time I drove around, it didn't seem too much different. But after a day or two of driving and pushing the engine to 5-6K rpms, you can now notice a difference.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i|Silver Gray/Black| Premium|Sport|NAV|Auto|PDC|Sunshade|

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='351589' date='Nov 2 2006, 12:49 PM
LOL! I just ordered a new filter for my truck 2 seconds ago too! I'm too lazy to clean it and since the cleaning kit costs $20, I figured I might as well just pay an extra $20 and get a new one.

Let me know what you think, when you get it. I would give the car a day or so before making any comments. The first time I drove around, it didn't seem too much different. But after a day or two of driving and pushing the engine to 5-6K rpms, you can now notice a difference.
Can you provide pictures and instructions on how to replace the filter. From what I've read, it sounds easy but I am mechanically challenged.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

i had done this as well. car pulls stronger (made up the performance loss from losing backpressure with my straight pipes) and i can hear a louder roar.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by low_ball_88' post='351594' date='Nov 2 2006, 12:58 PM
Can you provide pictures and instructions on how to replace the filter. From what I've read, it sounds easy but I am mechanically challenged.
for pics, try the charcoal filter thread in the parts forum. for the orange stock air filter, you dont need instructions. just pull it out and insert k&n.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by low_ball_88' post='351594' date='Nov 2 2006, 12:58 PM
It's pretty easy. Have a screw driver handy when you do it and maybe even a flashlight.

Since the new N52 engine has a different set up than that of the threads posted earlier on this forum, I'll tell you what to do.

Step 1. There are 3 clips (2 on top and 1 on the front, underside of the box). pull the black plastic piece of the top 2 clips towards you to loosen the metal clips. next, unlatch the metal clips that hold the top part of the filter box in place. for the 3rd clip, which is located at the bottom part of the box, near the front of the car, undo the black plastic piece with your finger. then take the screwdriver and prop the metal latch off the underside.

Step 2. Pop the air box filter off, latch side first. the side that's further in toward the engine, is attached to the lower portion of the airbox by a few notches at the bottom. it doesn't just pop off. you have to slide the top portion out and up. pull the top portion of the airbox slowly toward drivers side of the car to get the top portion off.

step 3. invert the top of the airbox slightly and just pry off the charcoal filter with your flat head screwdriver. there should be a little seam in there around the entire edge of the charcoal filter and the airbox to get your screwdriver in. you should be able to get the front and side portions. once you have these 3 sides off, just give the filter a twist and the back part should come out.

step 4. next remove the orange filter. if there's any debris or dirt under the air filter, in the airbox, remove it with a vaccum. replace the stock filter with your k&n.

step 5. put the top fo the airbox back on, by inserting that left side of the airbox that's closest to the engine, first. this is where those little notches and slots were, where there were no metal latches. you pretty much need to slide the top portion of the box back into those notches. you may need a flashlight to see down there, to make sure you get it in snug.

step 6. latch the bottom latch first. i used the screwdriver to place the metal piece back on the underside of the box and then pulled on the black plastic hinge with my finger to secure it. then do the top 2 and you're done!

sounds like a lot, but it's really easy. good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed K&N Filter