E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed Dinan Free Flow exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie here. I have a 2007 550i (blk/tan, sports pkg, step, nav, logic 7, etc.) and just had the Dinan free flow exhaust and 19" oem style 166 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires installed today. Also had the side skirts from the M package installed. Wheels/tires/sideskirts look great on the car. However, the SOUND of the new exhaust is incredible and in my opinion makes the car. When the dealer pulled my car into the service bay you could hear a nice low rumble as the car approached. Not loud and trashy. Just a nice low mellow rumble. Dealer claimed that my car was the first 550 on which they installed the dinan exhaust and most of the service guys came over to say how much they liked the sound.

I was afraid the exhaust might make the car sound like a 70's era muscle car or souped up mustang. I am happy to report that is not the case. On the highway you can barely hear an increase in the exhaust. Sounds stock. But at idle or just pulling away from a stop sign it has an unmistakeable sound of power, but in my opinion, in a "classy" way. To me, it sounds very similar to the new jaguar xk, which is widely reported to have a great sounding exhaust. I found myself driving in the manual mode on the way home just to keep the revs up and listen to the sweet sound!

At $1,399 the exhaust is not cheap. However, for those of you on the fence about whether the exhaust is worth it (as I was for a couple of months) my response is absolutely. Dinan exhaust does not scream out look at me, but rather gives just enough rumble to let others know your car is near and that it is serious. In fact, if I had to chose between upgrading the wheels/tires or the exhaust, I would recommend going with the exhaust first. Even my wife (a non car enthusiast), who did not know about the exhaust upgrade, commented that my car sounded nice pulling into the driveway. Shocking.

Tony
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

It's always good to hear a happy camper.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeap. I love Dinan exhaust. I'm waiting for new version coming out.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Members

My Ride: Fully loaded Dinan Tuned E60 545i Sports Sedan, featuring Dinan high flow intake system, Dinan free flow exhaust, Dinan high flow throttle body, Dinan Stage 3 Performance Engine Management Software, Dinan camber plates, Dinan carbon fiber strut tower brace, Dinan 19" lightweight forged wheelset, Dinan/Brembo GT big brake system, Dinan Polished Aluminum Pedal Kit, BMW "M" footrest, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT's, OEM rear deck spoiler, OEM sun/wind deflector, OEM illuminated BMW door sills, debadged (official "Dinan 5 badging"/emblem earned).

Originally Posted by tgueno' post='344055' date='Oct 11 2006, 11:20 PM
Newbie here. I have a 2007 550i (blk/tan, sports pkg, step, nav, logic 7, etc.) and just had the Dinan free flow exhaust and 19" oem style 166 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires installed today. Also had the side skirts from the M package installed. Wheels/tires/sideskirts look great on the car. However, the SOUND of the new exhaust is incredible and in my opinion makes the car. When the dealer pulled my car into the service bay you could hear a nice low rumble as the car approached. Not loud and trashy. Just a nice low mellow rumble. Dealer claimed that my car was the first 550 on which they installed the dinan exhaust and most of the service guys came over to say how much they liked the sound.

I was afraid the exhaust might make the car sound like a 70's era muscle car or souped up mustang. I am happy to report that is not the case. On the highway you can barely hear an increase in the exhaust. Sounds stock. But at idle or just pulling away from a stop sign it has an unmistakeable sound of power, but in my opinion, in a "classy" way. To me, it sounds very similar to the new jaguar xk, which is widely reported to have a great sounding exhaust. I found myself driving in the manual mode on the way home just to keep the revs up and listen to the sweet sound!

At $1,399 the exhaust is not cheap. However, for those of you on the fence about whether the exhaust is worth it (as I was for a couple of months) my response is absolutely. Dinan exhaust does not scream out look at me, but rather gives just enough rumble to let others know your car is near and that it is serious. In fact, if I had to chose between upgrading the wheels/tires or the exhaust, I would recommend going with the exhaust first. Even my wife (a non car enthusiast), who did not know about the exhaust upgrade, commented that my car sounded nice pulling into the driveway. Shocking.

Tony
Simply couldn't agree with you more here! As Dinan themselves puts it, the overall tone is very sporty, yet civil. I love the throaty growl the system produces when compared with the almost too muted stock exhaust system. To me, it's just sounds "right." Not overwhelming, but again, you know you have something there. At any rate, you enjoy now and BEST REGARDS!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Where's ECF? He's all about Dinan.

And, when you (ECF) read this when are you getting your Dinan badge?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Yep, another Dinan exhaust lover over here too!!! And hey, my name is also Tony!

I love the sound at start up also. You hear a nice VROOMMM....and then it settles into a mellow low tone. BTW, it looks like they raised the exhaust for the 545 from $1399 to $1499. They also raised the cold air intake another $100 as well.

On a side note, my530i, just curious what you mean about waiting for a "new version" to come out?

Vegastrashed, I registered for my Dinan badge but apparently they're making a new one for the E60 and it's not out yet.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Contributors

I brought my car in for Dinan to do R&D for new, if not better, free flow exhaust. R&D Engineer released my car today after doing some testing and he'll send his drawing to manufacture for production version. The one he tested on my car is not stainless steel, so I'll wait for final productoin version which is 30-60 days from now. The deal is $0.
The problem is everything is done verbally, so I'm not sure if Dinan is trustable Keep my fingers cross.
I was told by the engr that when there is product, he'll call me in for installation which takes about a day.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Oh NICE!! I wonder what's wrong with the current exhaust though. Also, for people who have already purchased the current system, would they be able to upgrade to the newer version for free?

Or maybe they're coming out with a quad system????
Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Contributors

According to engr, the current exhaust is done such a way that they're labor intensive and they're losing money on every single one they sell so they need to make a new breed so that it will be less labor intensive.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Contributors

Welcome aboard Tony. Your comments make me want to run right out an get the Dinan exhaust.
Would you say your 550 now sounds more like a 650?
Are you going to add the throttle body or any other Dinan goodies?
We need

Quick Reply: Installed Dinan Free Flow exhaust