E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Header install on n52

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:40 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Kasmo
Iv been searching and looking too. Yesterday i found out that a guy with a 07 328 E92 (n52 engine) slapped a turbo on it last year, and has been driving with no problems since. He has it set up where he has 3 modes of boost, low, mid and high. On mid boost he says he is in the 420hp range....

He spent about 9-10k on the build tho. So there is that. He said the most challenging part was the actual tuning. When i saw that i was like yea supercharger seems more cost effective then anything compared to that hahaha. Id be content with 300-340 hp. haha I feel like thats more then enough in a 5 series.

Sorry to throw post off topic lol
hi, any links to the builds?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ,retro sport button,comfort seats,m5 front and rear swaybars,pullbars,550 brakes kit with slotted and drilled rotors,upper strut brace,lower 2pt brace,3im,power box,m5 eom wheels,m5 rep bumper and skirts.
Model Year: 2007

Hi,I saw that post too,its a great build. They all said for years that the n52 want able to handle boost,within reason,anything is possible. I see this taking off only because of the singles coming out for the n54.and with port injection,fueling is sufficient. The tread is all over e90post. Only time will tell to see what OT can handle. Beside my header install,I'm doing a sex nod kit. Keep the power modest till needed. I find there is not many guys nodding here on the n52. There is power to be made,its modest and pricey.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

However, I hear the transmission might not be able to handle the extra power.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: ,retro sport button,comfort seats,m5 front and rear swaybars,pullbars,550 brakes kit with slotted and drilled rotors,upper strut brace,lower 2pt brace,3im,power box,m5 eom wheels,m5 rep bumper and skirts.
Smile

That guy is running a manual trans out of a n54,that ranks is good to at least 600ft lbs,the auto would be safe at 450 ft lbs of torque. Plenty for a street do car.that guys has a swap from auto to n54. The guy is very talented,read all his posts. Were finding out that these motors are reliable up to a point, the liners are a big factor with cylinder pressure,along with fuel. Depends how much money you have,and how much you want to sink into this. A n54,nn54is the only was to go looking for serious power. The n52 could run at a safe 450 if it was tweaked a bit. There is no telling what this motor is capable of.or how well it will hold,until someone pushes is. Any takers
Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 AM
New Members

What I don't understand,it that tree here alto of good moods to de done on the 5 to make it even more enjoyable to drive,but so little have done it. BMW at inskip charger $125 an hr. I can't justify that,there are alto of small guys who love BMW who would take the time to help you and get your car up and running. A car is a car..no matter what is is.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

We should just make a " Ultamite N52 Thread" with all the finding for the N52 engine. lol. I know there is a lot of guys there that want modest power. And if not that, people want to be a bit unique. N52 was always looked upon as a weak engine if you think about it. The N54 kinda blew it out of the water. Dont get me wrong i have thought about swapping my N52 drive train for a N54 drivetrain... iv seen engines and transmissions for sale on craiglist. The only thing that sucks that i feel like a bunch of coding has to be done if you are doing a swap.

Regardless, i wish the supercharger kit was a bit cheaper, 5k is a lot. If they sold it for like 3,500 id jump on it right away. But whatever, i want to mod my N52 and have a bit more power but like we see everywhere its pretty pricey. I got the N52 with 218 hp and I got AWD, so at the wheels im probably making like 180-170. Would be nice to get a bit more UMPH out of it. Everytime i look at that supercharger I think... wouldnt it be just better to get a E30 and throw in a E36 M3 drivetrain into it? lol
Old 05-11-2016, 05:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: 528i - Everything but Comfort Access & MTech
Model Year: 2009

I'd be interested in seeing what all is involved in fitting the AA headers! There's a nice power gain there, for sure!

I called AA awhile back and was told they don't fit due to the slightly different piping, but, IIRC, at least one person has fitted them on a 5, I just can't remember where I read it. I believe it was someone on e90post, but I could be mistaken.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:39 AM
New Members

Hi,well the headers themselves will fit ,there made to fit the n52, I see why they won't bolt up,its the midpipes. Its going in for some paint next week. I have been looking of and for the most feasible way to mount the pipes. The n52 all share the same midpipes diameter 50mm or 2". The n54 are 60 mm pipes either 3 or 5 series,unfortunately they are of different shape. I would like to weld flanges to a n54 exhaust,the pipe is bigger,but it would run better in the higher rpm,along with the headers,and if I swapped it for a n54 intake,I could see 170mph with the right gear. I know there is talk about going to bigger exhaust pipes and loosing torque,but these cars lack it anyway,I cruise at 80mph were the car belongs,with the right mods,I believe this thing could be a beast. I think theirs is potential if you know were to apply it,and with the nos in running,ill be in good hands. By the way,AA never mounted there headers on an e60,shows that one
Old 05-18-2016, 03:45 AM
New Members

HI,just want to shoot an update, well now I see what I have in store for this. I have seen the the 3 exhaust midpipes and this may bee the better way to go. The aftermarket pipes are larger,I'll have to see what an exhaust shop will charge,that is if they'll touch it. I'd rather have mandrel bends than crushed bends. I'll take any info on this
Old 10-15-2016, 09:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: LCI M5 Alpine White III
Model Year: 2008
Engine: S85

JuniorB, have you put the header on yet, it's been really quiet these days.

Quick Reply: Header install on n52