E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Has anyone modded their 535i/N54 EXHAUST SYSTEM??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:22 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: N54 535i, C6 Z06
Model Year: 08

Please keep us posted
Old 03-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

Magnaflow are good mufflers, but somehow I don't like their sound. To me it's on the louder hollow exhaust tone. Something you'll hear on a muscle car, so if you like that exhaust tone then go for it.

Also I remember one of the local guy with a 530 here in the BayArea did his setup with Magnaflow and it drone like crazy, regardless of what resonator he tried out. He ended up with a borla center muffler to fix the problem.

- post #13 - https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...2/#post1536050

Last edited by Boost7; 03-20-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: e46 m3, e61 535 x drive touring
Model Year: 2005, 2009
Engine: n54, s54

I have the ar dp with a muffler delete with 2 vibrent resonators welded to the tips sounds pretty good. I am going to cut off the secondary cats off soon since they seem to be going bad and develop a rattle
Old 04-03-2018, 05:31 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535i M-Sport / FBO + Meth
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

FINALLY getting this done today! I’m excited and a little nervous... more excited!
I HAVE TO REMEMBER to get before and after videos, hope I don’t forget. I will post ASAP.

Here’s the plan, to recap:
- get rid of secondary “caterpillars” and replace with same size straight pipe
- replace the flattened oem sections (where it goes up and over cross-brace/bracket) with same sized straight pipe
- (leave OEM center muffler/resonator)
- cut off both mufflers and replace with a single Vibrant 1142 3" Ultra Quiet Resonator (
Amazon Amazon
)
And
- Twin, double-walled, slant-cut exhaust tip

// Radar //
Old 04-03-2018, 05:54 AM
New Members

Here’s a vid of the OEM system. I’ll do another of the new one and post as well, ASAP.

You can check it out here:
Old 04-03-2018, 06:04 AM
New Members

Old look with oem tip(s):

Has anyone modded their 535i/N54 EXHAUST SYSTEM??-a57c31a2-432d-41ec-9557-5d318478e636.jpeg
Oem tip
Old 04-03-2018, 02:48 PM
New Members

Default Good and BAD

Update:
Got all the work done today and it looks fantastic! It sounds really good but it might be a little loud for my taste… Might want to put another resonator somewhere back farther to soften it up a little bit more. Not sure yet, maybe I just need to get used to it.

I have a problem though.
On my way home it was smoking like crazy. I’m mean, so much smoke that I pulled over to see if my bumper was on fire! LOL. Like embarrassing-for-a-BMW amount of smoke.

I posted it up on N54Tech.com asking if now it’s just running way too rich. I do have a little bit of “soot” on the inside of the muffler tips already and I only drove about an hour and 15 minutes home. Not sure what’s going on. A little worried to be honest.

I got a reply from someone saying that he thinks it’s because I got rid of the secondary cats, but it seems like way too much smoke for that. I’m sure there’s some people here who posted above ^^^ that deleted those cats as well, and can attest to whether or not it creates that much smoke - please chime in!
The guy also said he would bet that I have leaky turbos. Last time I logged a run I was running at about 18 psi max, so that seems unlikely, but I really don’t know much about turbo cars… This is my first one and I’m 52 years old.

If anyone has anything, throw it out there, I’m all ears.

Thanks and I’ll post up a video of the exhaust system from underneath and another one of it running once I get my son over to the house later this week.

// Radar //
Old 04-05-2018, 05:06 AM
New Members

Holding off on posting anything till I get this smoking issue fixed.

My advice to anyone looking at modding their exhaust...
DO NOT remove the secondary c-a-t-s unless you are prepared to deal with the smoking issue, should you end up with one.

// Radar //

P.s.
I think I’m also going to be looking into a Sound reducer (muffler) to install inline on my system. It’s a little too loud for a classy sedan like this. It’d be more suited to a 3 series and a 25- yr old driver vs a 5 series with a 52 yr old driver. Lol (no offense to 3 series, I have one too and love it equally)

Last edited by radarcontact; 04-08-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: Alpine White E60
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54 Cobb Tuned

Awwww man I truly feel your pain, I am going through the current phase of a smoking tail pipe. I wah-luurd out my cats a few weeks back, after running for what felt like two days I noticed the smoking.

I kinda just figured it was my turbos because I just hit 90k and when I looked under with a light I can see some oil buildup on the outside of the front turbo. I had just ordered a BMS catch can and a Rob Beck PCV valve, I am going to replace the valve cover and/or gasket this week. If that doesnt help than I will be replacing some turbos

As for the exhaust portion, I have spent many hours looking at other peoples set ups and I am going to shoot for 2.5 the whole way, with maybe a X-pipe or some sorta dual tip resonator. If I can get a new rear bumper in time than I will pho sho be doing quad tips, or maybe two chunkys!
Old 04-08-2018, 06:42 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by haamburglar
Awwww man I truly feel your pain, I am going through the current phase of a smoking tail pipe. I wah-luurd out my cats a few weeks back, after running for what felt like two days I noticed the smoking.

I kinda just figured it was my turbos because I just hit 90k and when I looked under with a light I can see some oil buildup on the outside of the front turbo. I had just ordered a BMS catch can and a Rob Beck PCV valve, I am going to replace the valve cover and/or gasket this week. If that doesnt help than I will be replacing some turbos

As for the exhaust portion, I have spent many hours looking at other peoples set ups and I am going to shoot for 2.5 the whole way, with maybe a X-pipe or some sorta dual tip resonator. If I can get a new rear bumper in time than I will pho sho be doing quad tips, or maybe two chunkys!
Well, the way I understand it, just because the turbos make things smoke doesn’t mean they are going bad, or need replacing. That might not be true, I know very little about turbos, this is my first.

I think a big 3” high flow c-a-t and a nice high flow muffler (Flowmaster DBX maybe) will make me happy. Too loud and too “young” a sound for,this old guy! But damn, when I hit the pedal... WOW! It is scary mean sounding! Want to keep some of THAT!