E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Handbrake ASZE Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535d Touring
Unhappy Handbrake ASZE Problem

Hi guys

I seem to have got myself in to a bit of a situation.

I decided to replace the rear pads and shoes as the pads were showing around 2k left (and I do a few miles hundred miles a month) and the handbrake wasn't very effective,

I did the first side okay, but then on the second side the cable seemed to go slack.

Now I have no handbrake at all. Its an auto so its not too bad on the flat. But really want it sorting.

I had searched for how too's on this prior to starting and it seemed straight forward, it was only when this happened I heard of the ASZE (auto adjust thing) and how I should of obviously done something prior to starting.

Anyway, I didn't what can I do to sort it?

Please help, this may put me off trying anything mechanical again. My last car I could do anything with, this ones difficult.

Many thanks in advance

Tim
Old 01-11-2015, 09:29 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535d Touring

Right then. I sorted it. Might as well post reply to myself here just in case anyone falls in to this trap.

Fortunately I think the car helped me out doing what I should have done myself. Under the handbrake lever is a pale blue spring, this must tension the cable, in the middle running though is a silver clip. The idea is you compress the spring and move the clip across to hold it (what I didn't do). This releases some cable to allow you to replace the shoes more easily. To re tension the cable compress the spring a little then move the clip over to one side. Voila, spring releases and cables are taught.

Originally Posted by Mission1979
Hi guys

I seem to have got myself in to a bit of a situation.

I decided to replace the rear pads and shoes as the pads were showing around 2k left (and I do a few miles hundred miles a month) and the handbrake wasn't very effective,

I did the first side okay, but then on the second side the cable seemed to go slack.

Now I have no handbrake at all. Its an auto so its not too bad on the flat. But really want it sorting.

I had searched for how too's on this prior to starting and it seemed straight forward, it was only when this happened I heard of the ASZE (auto adjust thing) and how I should of obviously done something prior to starting.

Anyway, I didn't what can I do to sort it?

Please help, this may put me off trying anything mechanical again. My last car I could do anything with, this ones difficult.

Many thanks in advance

Tim

Last edited by Mission1979; 01-11-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: dodgy cut and paste