E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

halogen lci conversion need help stat

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 525 i sport/navi

i started a thread explaing the conversion from an 07 to 08' hydrogen headlights and taillights. i would of posted the question there but since im pressed 4 time i got desperate. anyway, as far as wire connections, eric and i followed eveything to perfection. when we were done the lights came on w/ obvious idrive errors, i mentioned earlier that each section of the light work great independently, but when i put the headlights on the angel eyes dimmed in a profound way. i followed it up by dropping the car to the dealer apparently the tech has been putting some time trouble shoopting but after a few days he still got the error. mind you the rear lights have no erros(i had a break light constantly on) and now they work flawless. heres my dilema, i never bought a new lcm b/c the lcm change was only for xenon installed lights, no documentatin or pdf mentioned lcm differences between halogen. 2nd i would totally agree it was the lcm if the rears didnt work, than i thought maybe its a software issue and they just dont know what flash/code to put in..so if anyone has any idea what code? or if they truly believe its an lcm(mine was built 6/6) let me know the part number and what pins. inotherwords any help would be appreciated b/c they will have my car till tomorrow..thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

I posted a question on your previous thread regarding the errors you are getting. As you already know the main difference between pre-LCI and LCI headlights is the angel eyes lamp. From the pictures I've seen on realoem looks similar to pre-LCI xenon angel eyes lamp. I have also checked the part number but as it turns out is not the same. I'm assuming your error has to do with the angel eyes (correct me if I'm wrong) and this basically due to the fact that the new lamps draw more current (hence brighter angel eyes). If this is the only problem and you can't code the car for the new halogen headlights you can always use a relay to drive the angel eyes. The pre-LCI headlight uses 2 x 5W bulbs = 10W. Since P=VI ==> I=P/V=12/10=1.2A per headlight. We can now use a relay in series with a resistor to drive the angel eyes directly from the battery. I know is not the best solution but is similar to the one used by a lot aftermarket brands to run xenon lights. Please let me know about the errors since I'm planning to replace me pre-LCI headlights with LCI ones.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kekkos' post='724138' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:44 PM
I posted a question on your previous thread regarding the errors you are getting. As you already know the main difference between pre-LCI and LCI headlights is the angel eyes lamp. From the pictures I've seen on realoem looks similar to pre-LCI xenon angel eyes lamp. I have also checked the part number but as it turns out is not the same. I'm assuming your error has to do with the angel eyes (correct me if I'm wrong) and this basically due to the fact that the new lamps draw more current (hence brighter angel eyes). If this is the only problem and you can't code the car for the new halogen headlights you can always use a relay to drive the angel eyes. The pre-LCI headlight uses 2 x 5W bulbs = 10W. Since P=VI ==> I=P/V=12/10=1.2A per headlight. We can now use a relay in series with a resistor to drive the angel eyes directly from the battery. I know is not the best solution but is similar to the one used by a lot aftermarket brands to run xenon lights. Please let me know about the errors since I'm planning to replace me pre-LCI headlights with LCI ones.
that makes a whole lot of sense..if only i knew how to run a relay so even i do attemp a resistor directly from the battery, wouldnt i always deal w/ the same error?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Originally Posted by devious023' post='724997' date='Nov 19 2008, 03:16 PM
that makes a whole lot of sense..if only i knew how to run a relay so even i do attemp a resistor directly from the battery, wouldnt i always deal w/ the same error?
If you follow the propose setup I believe you will be ok.

halogen lci conversion need help stat-ae.jpg
Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Senior Members

What relay and resistor setup would you use? I may be wrong but wont the relay consume an amount of power?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Hi Dav530d,

I was looking at your thread and it seems that the above diagram is not quite right! The pre-LCI headlight has two feeds for the AEs (one for the right and one for the left) and not one for both AE. This mean that you will need two relays/headlight and not one! The value of the resistor (if needed) depends on the current required by the relay. Remember that the normal current now is 0.42A per AE (I=P/V=5/12=0.42A). There are automotive relays with very small power consumption, like this one which is only 1.2W. BTW how many AE lamps there are on the LCI headlight? If there is only one like xenon headlights (correct me if I'm wrong) then there is a problem
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

LCI use one bulb for AE like the pre LCI xenon.

All you have to do is run the two AE on Pre LCI halogen in parallel. 5W + 5W + 10W. Pre LCI xenon use 1 x 10W bulb.

To retrofit LCI you can just wire them to one relay.

Will try this, just looking for a cheap set of LCI lights. I have already bought a relay, just need to fool the on board computer.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dav530d' post='727472' date='Nov 21 2008, 05:00 AM
LCI use one bulb for AE like the pre LCI xenon.

All you have to do is run the two AE on Pre LCI halogen in parallel. 5W + 5W + 10W. Pre LCI xenon use 1 x 10W bulb.

To retrofit LCI you can just wire them to one relay.

Will try this, just looking for a cheap set of LCI lights. I have already bought a relay, just need to fool the on board computer.
jesus, and i thought this would be an easy connection. has any1 ever done this conversion on this forum before? seems odd that i would have to do so much manipulation to get it to work properly. or is it odd that i have no idea on how to run relays
Old 11-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by devious023' post='728455' date='Nov 22 2008, 05:47 PM
jesus, and i thought this would be an easy connection. has any1 ever done this conversion on this forum before? seems odd that i would have to do so much manipulation to get it to work properly. or is it odd that i have no idea on how to run relays
Is very easy to connect a relay. Send me the link of the relay you have bought and I'll help you with the wiring.