E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Finalizing Winter Tire Decision

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 03:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order for European Delivery 550i SilverGrey Sports, Winter, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, NAV, HUD, comfort seats

O.k.

Car will get here from ED in 3-4weeks. Snowing here in N.E. (near Boston) on Thanksgiving day.
Want to finalize my decision.

TireRack has the ASA JH3 rims which I see others on this board have. They look o.k. to me.

The Dunlops look better to me than the Bridgestones

Questions.

1) 17 inch vs 18 in rims?

2) if 17's, the Dunlops offer a winter Run Flat or standard. Which one and why?

Thanks everyone. I want to put an end to this already (and start agoninzing over other minor matters )

Cyclist
Old 11-24-2005, 03:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

17" 245x45 Continental Winter TS810. The last model from Conti.

Very very high ultra performance tires for highways. OK maybe not the best for Alaska type winter

I have it and it is great.

(Also it is certified by MB for S classe winter tire)

And of course NO RF's, not even in summer. Ride quality poor.
Attached Thumbnails Finalizing Winter Tire Decision-continental_ts810s_big.jpg  
Old 11-24-2005, 03:39 AM
Members

My Ride: On Order for European Delivery 550i SilverGrey Sports, Winter, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, NAV, HUD, comfort seats

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='202806' date='Nov 24 2005, 07:34 AM
17" 245x45 Continental Winter TS810. The last model from Conti.

Very very high ultra performance tires for highways. OK maybe not the best for Alaska type winter

I have it and it is great.

And of course NO RF's, not even in summer. Ride quality poor.
Cool, really hard to know bout relaive merits of dunlop vs contis. see you went with 17's and the conti's are not runflats. Have conti's on my commuting/training roadbike and they are good.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

yep, I stick with 17" for the winter since winter is almost 5 months so why having the car ugly looking for half of the year with some 16".

and 18" for summer of course
Old 11-24-2005, 03:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

Based on my earlier posts, I intend to use the Pirelli Sottozero winter tires - Road and Track did a comprehensive eval of the run flat version of these tires this month (not available yet) and loved them - quiet and good traction -

I'll get the non- run flats unless the run flats are available when my car shows up.........
Old 11-24-2005, 04:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

You should also talk to your dealer Service Manager and get their opinion on winter setup. I really liked the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 ratings on tirerack. When I spoke with my dealer, they recommended the same. I am getting mine installed on Tue. (Bought the OEM Style 138 wheels)
Old 11-24-2005, 04:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='202823' date='Nov 24 2005, 08:13 AM
You should also talk to your dealer Service Manager and get their opinion on winter setup. I really liked the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 ratings on tirerack. When I spoke with my dealer, they recommended the same. I am getting mine installed on Tue. (Bought the OEM Style 138 wheels)

where do you buy oem style 138 wheels, do you get those on tire rack. I've googled it with no sucess.

thanks for the help
Old 11-24-2005, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

I have the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 Runflats on the ASA JH3 17" rims. You are correct in that they just look okay, but at least I am not subjecting my nice rims to the winter. They worked great in the snow we had last year. I did end up getting a flat and the dealer was able to repair it. It is a good thing, because when I called the Tire Rack in January to see if they had any more they were sold out. I really believe in run flats despite the compromise in ride. It has saved me twice already from having to stop at a bad time.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Or you can buy my setup with original BMW wheels and Performance winter tires for cheaper.

My winter tires
Old 11-24-2005, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kryptokat' post='202831' date='Nov 24 2005, 08:45 AM
Or you can buy my setup with original BMW wheels and Performance winter tires for cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8016623005
That link wasn't working, here is the post from the classifieds.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=18814

Quick Reply: Finalizing Winter Tire Decision