E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

exhaust mod choice - second thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I am about to install the RDS quad exhaust - but having second thoughts and need some input.

The exhaust system is two mufflers and uses an x-pipe to remove the second resonator. I have heard the system on a 645 in this configuration. It was not bad, although you could definately hear it and feel it a little. It was louder than I wanted.

The dealer told me it was quieter than the B&B, which I have heard sounds good, but one member removed it due to his wife.

I am planning on installing the RDS but leaving the second resonator. I don't want to give up the smooth engine feel and don't want a lot of annoyance on the freeway. I want some sound, but not the vibration - the car is way too smooth.

The mufflers are big 17" x 10" ovals, but they are straight through.

What do you think - do I go for it or not. I guess I could sell it and get back half of my money if it is too loud for the wife.

My second choice was the Hamann quad system which I liked the sound, but did not care for the configuration of the system.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Hey jsal...on impulse, I just want you to get it just cause no one I know has. I can't provide any valid inputs on the sound and vibrations but the RDS exhaust has got to produce a bit more horsepower than the Hamann or Eisenmann quads.

I really like the RDS system and really want a quad set up but I guess my desire to have all Dinan performance parts supersedes everything else. Wonder if I can convince Dinan to produce a quad system.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I have no idea about RDS....but I can tell u B&B can get really loud. I have the B&B and both resonators removed and I can tell you....its loud as hell esp. at 1000-2000rpm range....sounds good but I'm not sure if I like the resonance that much
Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I've read on this forum that removing only the 2nd (rear) resonator doesn't make it that much louder. IIRC, member JDN removed his and said he couldn't tell the difference.

Originally Posted by jsal' post='230983' date='Jan 28 2006, 11:57 AM
The exhaust system is two mufflers and uses an x-pipe to remove the second resonator. I have heard the system on a 645 in this configuration. It was not bad, although you could definately hear it and feel it a little. It was louder than I wanted.
If you had heard it and thought it was too loud, why did you buy it?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but a stock 645 is louder than a stock 545, so maybe the 645 with RDS is louder than the 545 with RDS?

Also AFAIK, resonators cancel out sound, not vibrations. So removing a resonator should not introduce vibrations.

If you install it and change your mind, it might be a pain because you would've had to cut the passenger side of your diffuser in order to install the 2nd muffler. If you then remove the 2 mufflers then you'd be left with a hole in your diffuser. That would be my biggest concern.

If I were you I'd just get it installed and keep it installed, unless it sounds like crap. To hell with how loud it ends up being!

If that's not an option for you and you need a quieter aftermarket exhaust, I can suggest the Remus. Mine has gotten approval from several women as not being too loud or annoying
Old 01-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i black sapphire metallic, black interior, premium package, cold weather, premium hi-fi, bi-xenon, fold down seats, 6 disc changer, automatic/steptronic.

Yo buddy! I am curious on how the RDS quad exhaust looks like..do u mind sharing me some pictures or websites i can take a look at?

Thanks!
new_genz
Old 01-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by new_genz' post='231064' date='Jan 28 2006, 12:04 PM
Yo buddy! I am curious on how the RDS quad exhaust looks like..do u mind sharing me some pictures or websites i can take a look at?

Thanks!
new_genz
Here you go. The first is just the quad exhaust conversion. That's what Jsal ordered. The second is their complete Power Exhaust which includes 2 stainless steel manifolds (headers), high flow cats, X-pipe and quad exhaust conversion. I think the Power Exhaust system also includes EMS tuning and total price will be well over $10K.

exhaust mod choice - second thoughts-rd_quad_exhaust.jpg
exhaust mod choice - second thoughts-rd_power_exhaust.jpg
Old 01-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I still love my B&B.
Listen to the sound clip in my sig. For a 6-speed (traditional) or an SMG I think the B&B is "Great!" (especially the downshifts!!!!!) I can see how there can be some resonance issues with the auto due to the fact that it likes to hang out around 1,500 to 2,500 RPM (where the resonance is most pronounced).
Also listen to JDN's clips for his exhaust.
I wouldn't F with the resonators - but that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Just be sure to post some audio/vid once you're done.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Well, I have spent the day cutting the rear apron. I still need to form the tunnel (not necessary, but will make it complete), then paint.

I think the RDS will produce some good flow - straight through muffler. With the comment of the second resonator not making much difference - this is what worries me.

I know I would like the sound but my wife would not and I just don't want to comprimise the smooth feel of this car.

I think I may send it back and order the Hamann, unless I can get them to let me try it and report the results (sound and G-meter). Think they will go for it?

The Hamann system I listened to at Bimmerfest last year sounded really good. I am not big on the configuration, which I still think is cheesy, but it does have the look and sound.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Contributors

$10K for just an exhaust and a chip seems like a waste. Might as well get supercharged for the price.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='231316' date='Jan 29 2006, 04:24 AM
$10K for just an exhaust and a chip seems like a waste. Might as well get supercharged for the price.

Here's the breakdown of prices given to me by Carrozzeria Designs:

RDSport Competition Header set $3855

RDSport Metal Matrix Sport CATS $3550

RDSport X-Flow Downpipe $880

RDSport Rear Silencer (Quad Pipe Conversion) $2660

I think there was a mistake though because the X-flow downpipe should be included with the quad exhaust conversion for the $2660 price.

Yes very expensive. I think RDS claims a 25hp gain just for the Headers. (I wonder how much total hp for the complete system). Considering that you can spend close to that to get the Dinan CAI, throttle body and exhaust to get about the same total increase in hp (25)....then you're looking at closely related $/hp numbers though.

Hmm....if the Headers were a little south of the $3K mark, I might consider getting it.

But you're right. I think for about $10K, you can get a VF-Engineering supercharger.

Quick Reply: exhaust mod choice - second thoughts