E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Euro Spec Mirrors for US spec Cars

Old 04-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how many of you noticed the difference in cars when you take Euro delivery but one of them is the mirrors. The US DOT is set on us having a blind spot and having us look behind us for traffic. The mirrors in Europe are designed better and do not give you that blind spot. Everytime I have to rent a car I love the mirrors.
So, went out to ebay.de and bid on a set and won. It cost me ?131,67 for a set of the auto dimming mirrors. 1 mirror from the dealer costs ?206 before tax. I am still wating for delivery of the parts but after I install them I will take pictures.
Ebay also has the new M5 mirrors and the M5 Instrument Cluster. No shifter though. <_<
Old 04-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

i want to get those, too ! but i think it'll be a very difficult diy job, right ? well, at least for me :'(. in fact, i haven't seen those before. if any member who has the euro spec mirrors, could you please kindly post some pics? thank you !
Old 04-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Kigerka, maybe you can convince Hobi to get the mirror folding function to work on your car too. I'd think that would be a high demand custom retrofit over here in the USA...
Old 04-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

The Euro auto dimming mirrors is something i have wanted for a while ... and will be picking up when i travel to germany in a few months.
The are kind of weird at first to get used to, since they strech things a bit, however your blindspot is greatly reduced, and (not sure on the BMW ones - but MB's are) you can even see further down ... like a curb & so on.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 18 2005, 06:09 AM
Kigerka, maybe you can convince Hobi to get the mirror folding function to work on your car too.? I'd think that would be a high demand custom retrofit over here in the USA...
[snapback]116661[/snapback]

I second that.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Apr 17 2005, 11:56 PM
I don't know how many of you noticed the difference in cars when you take Euro delivery but one of them is the mirrors.? The US DOT is set on us having a blind spot and having us look behind us for traffic.? The mirrors in Europe are designed better and do not give you that blind spot.? Everytime I have to rent a car I love the mirrors.
So, went out to ebay.de and bid on a set and won.? ? It cost me ?131,67 for a set of the auto dimming mirrors.? 1 mirror from the dealer costs ?206 before tax.? I am still wating for delivery of the parts but after I install them I will take pictures.
Ebay also has the new M5 mirrors and the M5 Instrument Cluster.? No shifter though. <_<
[snapback]116569[/snapback]
I got mine from UK. I could not get it from US BMW dealer so I called my friend in London to order one for me. I only got the driver side. Passenger side was already convex in USA, no need to buy the passenger side mirror. I paid about 116 UK pounds for the driver side auto dim, wide angle mirror. The Euro mirror has a dotted line near the outer 1/3 of the mirror. This is the similar design as my Volvo's Euro mirror. I have that in my Volvo for several years and no need to turn my head when changing lanes.

Installation was piece of cake, less than 7 minutes. The trick was to turn the mirror to upper right corner as much as possible. This will make room in the lower left hand corner for our fingers to grep the mirror. Then use your fingers to grep the lower left corner and pull it out slowly and carefully. Once the mirror is out of the clips, then disconnect the electrical connectors. Installation is the reverse and make sure that you press the mirror with your palm to ensure that all the clips in the back of the mirror are "lock"/"click" back to the motor.

Hope this help.

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old 04-18-2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Apr 18 2005, 12:23 AM
i want to get those, too !? but i think it'll be a very difficult diy job, right ?? well, at least for me :'(.? in fact, i haven't seen those before.? if any member who has the euro spec mirrors, could you please kindly post some pics?? thank you !
[snapback]116575[/snapback]
I would post it when I can get hold of a digital camera.

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old 04-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Check it out. From ebay.de
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7969022973
Just order it and do it yourself. I would gladly be a POC (Point of Contact) for your ebay purchases or Euro parts orders. Most people on ebay.de do wire transfer or COD, not Paypal.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I don't know how many of you noticed the difference in cars when you take Euro delivery but one of them is the mirrors. The US DOT is set on us having a blind spot and having us look behind us for traffic.

I have a US car, and I do not have a blind spot. I just know how to adjust my mirrors the correct way.

Most people put their sideview mirros so they can just barely see the side of their own car on the inside edge. This is not the best way to use them. Seeing your own car is a waste of time. What you care about is the road.

I adjust my sideviews so that I have a continuous view from one side mirror that then transitions into my rearview mirror. This way, I can see a car move from my sideview then to my rearview. If the car passes me to a point where they leave the sideview, then I can see them in my peripheral vision. I never need to look over my shoulder.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 18 2005, 01:47 PM
I have a US car, and I do not have a blind spot.? I just know how to adjust my mirrors the correct way.

Most people put their sideview mirros so they can just barely see the side of their own car on the inside edge.? This is not the best way to use them.? Seeing your own car is a waste of time.? What you care about is the road.

I adjust my sideviews so that I have a continuous view from one side mirror that then transitions into my rearview mirror.? This way, I can see a car move from my sideview then to my rearview.? If the car passes me to a point where they leave the sideview, then I can see them in my peripheral vision.? I never need to look over my shoulder.
[snapback]116787[/snapback]
subterFUSE gets it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Euro Spec Mirrors for US spec Cars