E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Electronics going haywire after dashcam/screen installlation

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 01:02 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 525i
Model Year: 2004
Default Electronics going haywire after dashcam/screen installlation

I have a 2004 BMW 525i E60 that has had many problems since I had an after-market android screen for the iDrive along with Blacksys CH200 front and dual dash cam.

The problems started happening when I had a car stereo store do the initial installation.

Initial Problems
1. Reverse light immediately shorted out (has since been fixed via relay) and died.
2. Front right headlight stayed on after car was turned off. (but turned off finally after starting the car a few times.).
3. Car constantly displaying "Increased Battery Discharge warning"

I just dealt with the initial problems and didn't do anything about it but then after replacing a cable of the after-market android screen...

Problems NOW

1. New after market screen NOT turning off when car is turned off, keys removed, doors locked, etc. (needed to disconnect car battery so it didn't die)
2. A. Car's cruise control light comes on intermittently when driving. B. Rear driver's license lights flicker when car is starting and when car is turned off. C. Other lights flash intermittently, D. Windshield wipers come on randomly
3. Original iDrive AUX disconnects and reverts to FM radio every time I play a video for more than a few seconds
4. Subwoofers do not work (but the rest of the speakers do) when music/video playing from the new after-market screen unit most of the time but turns on every once in a while
5. iDrive dial and menu buttons only work in original iDrive but not working when the new after-market screen unit is in use.
5. When I use a pin to push the reset button of this aftermarket unit, the cars' lights flash, and engine RPMs go up and down very fast, everything basically freaking the f' out.

Thes is the product that was installed by the stereo install people.

http://www.dvdgpsnav.com/aftermarket...-optional.html
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produc...nt=44010361543

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking for the causes of all the problems?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530D
Model Year: 2006

Hi

I have one of these fitted into my E60, its basically plug and play and you cant really go wrong, im very happy with mine.

Did they fit the correct unit, CCC and MASK units need different screens.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 AM
New Members

Default Fixed!

Turns out it was simply the main wire harness coming loose that all the cars electronics to go haywire. I guess the technician that installed it was careless and/or lazy and didn't plug it in securely.

I'm happy with it, night and day compared to the original 6.5" ancient tech.

Does your sound soind as good as the original idrive? What settings have you tweaked if any? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530D
Model Year: 2006

Yeah this cars are very sensitive with their electrics and get upset very easily...

The sounds are very good, i have Logic 7 my only issue is you have to crank the volume up high, because the aux default volume while the engine is running is set very low, i have looked into a workaround but thus far have come up blank.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

Originally Posted by Misterbish
Yeah this cars are very sensitive with their electrics and get upset very easily...

The sounds are very good, i have Logic 7 my only issue is you have to crank the volume up high, because the aux default volume while the engine is running is set very low, i have looked into a workaround but thus far have come up blank.

install a volume increaser.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:30 PM
New Members

Default Do you have a link?

A volume increaser? Is that a device? Code? Like a new amp?