E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Effort involved with installing back up camera and modmynav interface

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:45 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2005
Default Effort involved with installing back up camera and modmynav interface

Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 530i with the business IDrive. No nav. No back up sensors. No iPhone integration of any kind. I also have the kind of rear seats that do not fold down.

I have read and read and it seems that modmynav is the only real way to go to get a back up camera working correctly. I have not seen any other interfaces that seem to be used for people with a similar set up to mine.

On a DIY scale where do you rank the back up camera install? What about if you did the back and front camera?

From what I read there is no coding required which Is good since I am not familiar with it.

1 is placing in all weather mats
4 is plastidipping rims, replacing trim pieces of interior, changing filters, etc
5 is installing the Sport Mode Button
6 is doing led angel eyes, undoing headlight mounts, installing those Devils, then seeing the cables are fraying and having to apply liquid electrical tape to resolve that issue.
10 is retrofitting an entire modern nav iDrive system.

I have done everything except 10. Just trying to gauge if I can do it myself or if it is better to pay someone. I have three kids so it can't be an 8 hour affair. I don't need a back up camera but at the same time the price of it is about the price of a deductible from backing into someone so it may be worthwhile.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:02 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2010

There is another mainstream company that sells the rear view camera and there are lots of pics of installs on other BMW forums. Link below.

I am in the same boat as you deciding which way to go. My rear seats do not fold so you have to remove the rear seats to run the wire.

BMW 5-series - E60 and E61 Retrofits | Bimmer Tech - BimmerTech

Originally Posted by shervinj
Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 530i with the business IDrive. No nav. No back up sensors. No iPhone integration of any kind. I also have the kind of rear seats that do not fold down.

I have read and read and it seems that modmynav is the only real way to go to get a back up camera working correctly. I have not seen any other interfaces that seem to be used for people with a similar set up to mine.

On a DIY scale where do you rank the back up camera install? What about if you did the back and front camera?

From what I read there is no coding required which Is good since I am not familiar with it.

1 is placing in all weather mats
4 is plastidipping rims, replacing trim pieces of interior, changing filters, etc
5 is installing the Sport Mode Button
6 is doing led angel eyes, undoing headlight mounts, installing those Devils, then seeing the cables are fraying and having to apply liquid electrical tape to resolve that issue.
10 is retrofitting an entire modern nav iDrive system.

I have done everything except 10. Just trying to gauge if I can do it myself or if it is better to pay someone. I have three kids so it can't be an 8 hour affair. I don't need a back up camera but at the same time the price of it is about the price of a deductible from backing into someone so it may be worthwhile.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:00 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

I would say 7.. only because I read the info about the modmy nav and it was not my cup of tea vs the price. Running the wires for me wasn't hard once I figured out how that darned latch worked in the back seats.. but I shoved it through.. tight fit, much much easier with the wiggle of the seats.

Oh.. I didn't mention it, but I'm sure if you look up my posts, I just put in my own screen and my own camera. I don't know if modmynav and the power wires is trouble free, but the other thing I found out was that the rear backup lights weren't "constant" power so I had to use a relay to turn on my rear backup camera using the backup light. Getting into the rest of the dash is also not hard but a pain since I've gone there myself on a different occasion.

I hear you on the kid situation and when you say.. you don't have 8 hrs.. I'd say you'll need at least 4. As always, once I've done it once I can see how I could speed myself up a lot.. but some things just.. won't go any faster.. like running the wire through the trunk lid and through the car to the front.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:26 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i

I actually have the m-ask system so I could never afford to get a cic or anything like that but I found it actually pretty simple once you know what 2 hooks to undo you should be able slide a cable right thru. I made my own alternative back up camera using a 5" lcd that I fitted nicely where my change/ashtray is below the stereo