E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dopey Mechanic Removed Brake Sensor "Receiver"

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 06:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530Xi MT
Model Year: 2007
Angry Dopey Mechanic Removed Brake Sensor "Receiver"

I've been struggling for two days to replace my front brake pad wear sensor. The first day I struggled because I had confused the ABS sensor with the brake sensor. The second day I figured out that the receiver that I'm supposed to plug the sensor into has been completely removed from my car by a dopey local mechanic.

When I open up the box that should have both the blue ABS connector and the white brake wear connector, only the blue ABS connector is present. The white "receiver" collar is completely missing from the box, so I've got nothing to plug the new wear sensor into.

I removed the wheel well splash guards and started peeking around to see if the cable had been stuffed up inside for some stupid reason, but it appears to have been completely removed from my car.

Can anyone tell me: 1) What is the part number for the "receiver" side of the front brake wear sensor, and 2) Where is it supposed to run and what does the other end of the harness plug into?

EDIT: I'm such an idiot. I was looking on the wrong side of the car!!

Last edited by beekir; 08-24-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Are you sure you are not looking on the wrong side of the car? ... Go look at the other side
Old 08-23-2018, 07:12 AM
New Members

I'm going to smack myself if I'm looking at the wrong side of the car... Will report back
Old 08-23-2018, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

If it turns out to be on the other side... welcome to the "idiot" things we do!

https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/...an-idiot.3522/
Old 08-23-2018, 10:38 AM
New Members

I definitely look like an idiot on this one. I already hassled my mechanic over "his mistake," but today at lunch took a look behind the front driver-side wheel... There are two cables there!

I guess for my year E61, the front wear sensor is on the (US) driver's side and the rear wear sensor is on the passenger side. I swear somebody told me the front sensor was also on the passenger side...

Excited to go home and get this sucker installed so my brake light & on-screen warning will finally shut off after all these months. After that, I only have half a dozen more repairs to go...
Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Glad you got it sorted out!

Be sure to check out spoolstreet too. A lot more support over there these days
Old 06-15-2021, 10:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: 5 series

Originally Posted by beekir
I've been struggling for two days to replace my front brake pad wear sensor. The first day I struggled because I had confused the ABS sensor with the brake sensor. The second day I figured out that the receiver that I'm supposed to plug the sensor into has been completely removed from my car by a dopey local mechanic.

When I open up the box that should have both the blue ABS connector and the white brake wear connector, only the blue ABS connector is present. The white "receiver" collar is completely missing from the box, so I've got nothing to plug the new wear sensor into.

I removed the wheel well splash guards and started peeking around to see if the cable had been stuffed up inside for some stupid reason, but it appears to have been completely removed from my car.

Can anyone tell me: 1) What is the part number for the "receiver" side of the front brake wear sensor, and 2) Where is it supposed to run and what does the other end of the harness plug into?

EDIT: I'm such an idiot. I was looking on the wrong side of the car!!
i have the same problem here but for the left rear side of my E60 only the blue receiver is visible and the white receiver is completely missing inside the small box when you connect the sensor
Old 07-10-2022, 12:35 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i
Model Year: 04
Engine: M54 3.0L

Originally Posted by beekir
I definitely look like an idiot on this one. I already hassled my mechanic over "his mistake," but today at lunch took a look behind the front driver-side wheel... There are two cables there!

I guess for my year E61, the front wear sensor is on the (US) driver's side and the rear wear sensor is on the passenger side. I swear somebody told me the front sensor was also on the passenger side...

Excited to go home and get this sucker installed so my brake light & on-screen warning will finally shut off after all these months. After that, I only have half a dozen more repairs to go...
my us 04 530i has it on front passenger side.