E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DoingItRight: Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start one of these to keep a list of all of the mods I will be doing as well as to share and learn a thing or two. I recently joined the BMW community and cant wait to see how far I will take this car with mods.
All comments are welcomed.. Enjoy!

Vehicle:
2008 BMW 528i
Auto
Sunroof
Navi
Alpine White on beige.

And that's pretty much it... on to the mod list!

Exterior:
Umnitza full Mtech kit with fogs.
Hamann front lip painted flat black.
AC Schnitzer trunk spoiler painted Alpine White.
AC Schnitzer roof spoiler painted gloss black.
Flat black kidney grills.
Roof painted gloss black.
Rear diffuser painted flat black.
RPI red air intake scoop.
Fenders and quarter panels were rolled.

Interior:
Black OEM floor mats.
AUX cable.
2012 Map CD from bmwnav.net

Wheels and Tires:
M172 wheels with machined faces.
19x8.5 et25 225/40/19 TOYO T1R with 20mm spacers.
19x9.5 et18 245/35/19 TOYO T1R with 25mm spacers.
Vizion Motorsport TPMS.

Purchased but haven't yet been installed..
BBS RS II in original silver color.
20x9 et20
20x10 et25

Suspension:
H&R Race Springs. (50460-88) FOR SALE
BC Racing coilovers

Brakes:
HAWK PC rear brake pads. (HWK-HB458Z.642)

Lighting:
DTEC V7 LEDs for angel eyes
6000k low beam bulbs.
RDash LED license plate bulbs.

Last edited by DoingItRight; 01-04-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Thats quite a list you got there...welcome...

If you haven't purchased them already may I suggest that you get Mtec License plate LED's instead of the RDash...they will match much better with 6000K or 8000K HID AE as they are 7000Kish and ultra bright.

Waiting on pics
Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MORI3L
Thats quite a list you got there...welcome...

If you haven't purchased them already may I suggest that you get Mtec License plate LED's instead of the RDash...they will match much better with 6000K or 8000K HID AE as they are 7000Kish and ultra bright.

Waiting on pics
Thank you. but i do already have the Rdash but thinking about downgrading to just regular replacement led bulbs since the Rdash leds are extremly bright and you can see the plate from miles away lol which is not something to be proud of lol in my opinion.. but maybe the brightness will grow on me.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by DoingItRight
Thank you. but i do already have the Rdash but thinking about downgrading to just regular replacement led bulbs since the Rdash leds are extremly bright and you can see the plate from miles away lol which is not something to be proud of lol in my opinion.. but maybe the brightness will grow on me.

I felt the same way when I first upgraded to housings coming from led replacements. Then after a week I felt like my car had the sexiest ass on the road. There isn't much lighting you can do back there and this just makes everything stand out. Because its a BMW its okay to put those ultra-bright housings back there. Not ricey at all. A touch of classy if you will.

Take advantage of the fact that you drive this beautiful machine. There's not too many cars that can get away with putting 3 HID kits in the front of the car and still look classy.

Just my two cents
Old 08-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Members

I felt the same way when I first upgraded to housings coming from led replacements. Then after a week I felt like my car had the sexiest ass on the road. There isn't much lighting you can do back there and this just makes everything stand out. Because its a BMW its okay to put those ultra-bright housings back there. Not ricey at all. A touch of classy if you will.

Take advantage of the fact that you drive this beautiful machine. There's not too many cars that can get away with putting 3 HID kits in the front of the car and still look classy.

Just my two cents
Yeah I agree, the back does stand out nicely with bright license plate bulbs.

As far as the front, I'm a little confused about all the lights. My car is the LCI so i have the OEM xenons and the color seems pretty decent to me but i do want to change the angel eyes bulbs to HIDs just not sure if i want to do 8k or 6k. Really want it to look as OEM as possible and similar to the 2013 models.

Then, there are fogs.. If i do 8k angel eyes, i was thinking about doing 6k HID fogs. I really like when there's a contrast between headlights and fog lights.

And not really sure what is the function of the inner lights (closer towards the grill) but i do know they light up with which ever direction the steering wheel is turned???
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 528i 6MT, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation

And not really sure what is the function of the inner lights (closer towards the grill) but i do know they light up with which ever direction the steering wheel is turned???
they are cornering lights. they turn on when you turn and when you reverse. i don't really see any advantage to them.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mo858
they are cornering lights. they turn on when you turn and when you reverse. i don't really see any advantage to them.
Ohh okay, so pretty much the basic 4 bulbs that can be changed in LCI headlights are:
1. Angel eyes bulbs
2. Low/high beam bulbs to a different color since they are already xenon
3. Cornering bulbs
4. Turn signal bulbs

btw what is the size of the turn signal bulbs and side markers bulbs?
I'm not looking to change the turn signal ones to LED but wanted to get the ones that are chromed to not have the amber look to the headlight. Also, are there error free side markers LED amber bulbs?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome mod list. Make sure to keep us updated with pics.

One suggestion to save on money and your cars resale value, maybe vinyl wrap the roof instead of painting it. Several have done it on here and it looks great. Just a thought.

Enjoy the modding!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

Yeah I agree, the back does stand out nicely with bright license plate bulbs.

As far as the front, I'm a little confused about all the lights. My car is the LCI so i have the OEM xenons and the color seems pretty decent to me but i do want to change the angel eyes bulbs to HIDs just not sure if i want to do 8k or 6k. Really want it to look as OEM as possible and similar to the 2013 models.

Then, there are fogs.. If i do 8k angel eyes, i was thinking about doing 6k HID fogs. I really like when there's a contrast between headlights and fog lights.

The oem xenons are 4300K...your bulbs may have already color shifted so they look a little whiter then normal but they will most definitely look horrid as soon as you change your AE(you will see the yellow). I recently did a 50W 6000K D2S retrofit. It's a little brighter then stock yet they are ultra pure white. This has been the best solution that I have found so far. Most people will get a set of 6000K D1S bulbs in which case they will lose brightness.

As far as getting your car looking like 2013 models....go 6000k all the way. With everything. This is the same look I went for and it worked out pretty good.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iamnatio
Awesome mod list. Make sure to keep us updated with pics.

One suggestion to save on money and your cars resale value, maybe vinyl wrap the roof instead of painting it. Several have done it on here and it looks great. Just a thought.

Enjoy the modding!
Thank you! The roof has some damage on it and needs to be resprayed so i figured might as well paint it black. I'm familiar with vinyl and had few of my previous vehicles roofs wrapped but on the bimmer, i'm not really concerned with the resale value due to having many younger cousins in my family who buy all my cars from me after i get bored with them lol
btw, how do you post pictures on here? i tried through flickr but it didnt work..

The oem xenons are 4300K...your bulbs may have already color shifted so they look a little whiter then normal but they will most definitely look horrid as soon as you change your AE(you will see the yellow). I recently did a 50W 6000K D2S retrofit. It's a little brighter then stock yet they are ultra pure white. This has been the best solution that I have found so far. Most people will get a set of 6000K D1S bulbs in which case they will lose brightness.

As far as getting your car looking like 2013 models....go 6000k all the way. With everything. This is the same look I went for and it worked out pretty good.
Hmm interesting... do u have a link to the retrofitting? Is it as simple as taking out an old bulb and installing the new one? And honestly, i know the oem bulbs are 4300k but mine look pretty damn blue still.. more like 5 or 6k maybe because my car only has 30000 miles on it..

Quick Reply: DoingItRight: Build Thread.