E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan 3.45 Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Anyone notice on Dinan's website that the 3.45 Diff they advertise is actually a Limited Slip Differential??? At least that's what they describe.

Click the link here and scroll down to "3.45 Differential-545 and 550 (Manual and SMG Only)" and read the last line.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:17 AM
Contributors

Good catch on the LSD fine print.

This may be the best bang-for-the buck investment for any manual/SMG E60 right now. The M5 gang is having a blast with the new Dinan differential too.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

i dont get it ? LSD is a rear diffrential that allows a limited amount of slip on any wheel once it has lost traction, whats so bad about it?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:02 AM
Members

theres nothing bad about a limited slip, in fact this will be the reason I'm going with the dinan diff ...awesome.

basically both wheels continue to get the same or near same amount of power regardless if one starts spinning, great for going sideways for daysss

Limited-Slip (or Traction Lok - the Ford name, or Posi-Traction, GM name) is a function of the differential allowing one wheel to spin only a percentage faster than the other. This has its advantages in allowing more traction, especially during hard cornering, because a normal or "open" diff will allow the inside wheel to lose traction and spin as fast as it wants, while the outer tire (with most of the traction anyway) just freewheels. This is generally opposite of what you want to have happen. A Posi unit will allow the inside wheel to spin only so much faster than the outside, at which time it transfers torque to the outer wheel, increasing power that's transmitted to the ground. This is achieved by several methods. The most common is with clutch packs in the differential that are set to a "breakaway" threshold. Another semi-common way is using viscosity (Viscous LSD's), which use a special differential fluid to control the amount of slip. A third method is a Torsen type, where there's a worm gear and pinion (the theory being the worm gear can rotate the pinion, but not vice versa). In effect, you can think of cars without Posi to be "one wheel drive" and cars with Posi to be two-wheel drive.
Picture a car rounding a corner; the inside and outside wheels have to carve differently sized circles. Because of this, they must travel at different speeds or independent of eachother. The non-drive wheels are no problem, but the drive wheels are connected to eachother via halfshafts, ring gear and driveshaft. This is where a normal OPEN differential comes into play. It allows the drive wheels to spin at different speeds when rounding a corner (the tires and drivetrain would bind and not corner as well without it). The problem with totally open differentials is that you cannot control how much and when they slip. Trying to accelerate on ice or gravel will usually result in only 1 tire spinning, producing plenty of smoke, but no go.

The limited slip differential does much the same job as the open, except (and nearly all OEM LSD's are like this...) there is a viscous fluid inside the differential that heats up and becomes VERY sticky/gooey when the two sides (either the two wheels or the two differentials - like on the Mitsubishi GTO and Eclipse AWD systems) spin at greatly different speeds (say, when one tire begins to spin wildly on ice or loose dirt...). The two sides are then locked together in order to prevent all the engine torque from going to the slipping wheel. It's basically a traction control device. High performance sports cars use them to put power down at a standing start and when powering out of corners. Trucks and minivans use it to keep the vehicle from spinning in adverse conditions (snow, ice, gravel, freak rain storms, etc.). Most AWD (as opposed to 4WD) systems emply some manner of viscous limited slip in order to transfer power to the other set of wheels when needed, but avoid it to avoid drivetrain wear and improve fuel economy. This is what Subaru means by "sending power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip...". Makes it sound like there's a big decision making process when you hit adverse
conditions, but not really.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

This is news to me. A few months back, I checked out Dinan's webpage and it was an open diff. Any case, that is great news that they are now offering LSD!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='369164' date='Dec 19 2006, 07:30 PM
This is news to me. A few months back, I checked out Dinan's webpage and it was an open diff. Any case, that is great news that they are now offering LSD!

Vegas, send a mail to Dinan and ask a) price b) how would react DSC
: - ))))))))))
Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

TOO short the six gears :

55-95-145-189-229-263 kmh

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 12-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Members

Is anybody in the works on the dinan diff? I'm anxious to hear the first sacrificial lambs experience. I altered the gearing on one of my streetbikes, simply swapped out front sprocket for one with less teeth and added 10 teeth to the rear sprocket, its a 600cc bike, relatively under powered bike, but now after the changem if you crack the throttle in any gear the front wheel is in the sky... amazing results for little $. sure it tops out at 140 now but I dont spend much time in triple digits so I could care less.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray/Black Leather 545i, 6SP Manual, Sport Package, Anthracite Maple Wood, Satellite Preparation. H&R coilover suspension, Radenergie 20's

Ok. This could be my answer to my lost torque due to my 20 inch rims. How much is this diff anyways? My 275/30/20's is approximately 6% bigger in overall diameter than my stock 275/35/18's. In turn I am now 6% off on my tripmeter and speedometer and also proportionally lost 6% torque. Can anyone confirm this to me. Or am i just going crazy on my observations and my analysis? Lol.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i stock. 2000 Jeep Wrangler non-stock =)

Go to bigger wheels you gotta lower you ring and pinion (numerically higher) ratio. You might pick up some top-end speed, but your accleration will suffer from the larger wheels, or overall increase in diameter.

Quick Reply: Dinan 3.45 Rear Differential