E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Help please - BMW E60 retrofit folding side mirrors with self dimming

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Ok as per title I have just purchased some electric folding and self tinting side mirrors for my production date 2005-02-03 E60 530D.

Now I only have the standard window switch without the mirror fold button, is this the only new part I require to make the folding mirrors work? I think I have read on here somewhere that my car might have the right looms already installed?

I will be going to my dealership to have the keys programmed also so the mirrors fold/unfold when the car is locked/unlocked.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by 530D Lee
Ok as per title I have just purchased some electric folding and self tinting side mirrors for my production date 2005-02-03 E60 530D.

Now I only have the standard window switch without the mirror fold button, is this the only new part I require to make the folding mirrors work? I think I have read on here somewhere that my car might have the right looms already installed?

I will be going to my dealership to have the keys programmed also so the mirrors fold/unfold when the car is locked/unlocked.

Thanks for any advice.
You car has door modules which makes this job much easier than when I did mine (no door modules on mine), the modules will need coding for them to be able to control the new mirrors, it`s not as straight forward as you may be thinking it is.
Also and sorry to rain on your hopes but you may find the auto dimming will not work, to this day I have not been able to get the auto dim working and I still don`t know why. When you goto to get the key fob folding set argue the hell out of your SA as he will more than likely say it`s impossible, all they need to do is load up the car/key memory settings and set comfort folding active.

If you fancy a trip to grays, I can help fit the mirrors and do the coding for you. Let me know.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD
You car has door modules which makes this job much easier than when I did mine (no door modules on mine), the modules will need coding for them to be able to control the new mirrors, it`s not as straight forward as you may be thinking it is.

Also and sorry to rain on your hopes but you may find the auto dimming will not work, to this day I have not been able to get the auto dim working and I still don`t know why.
So to summarise all that is needed is the window switch panel with mirror fold button and some coding? I am not overly fussed on the auto dim feature althoughit would be nice.

My local dealer has done the coding for someone else with auto fold mirrors and he has the bill still, so I will present that if they start scratching there heads!

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Yes it is, who`s doing the actual coding to enable the mirrors?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Members

Yes it is, who`s doing the actual coding to enable the mirrors?
I was going to use Dick Lovett Swindon main dealer for the coding, however I might call upon your help once I have sourced the window switch panel, maybe some coding in exchange for beer
Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530D Lee
I was going to use Dick Lovett Swindon main dealer for the coding, however I might call upon your help once I have sourced the window switch panel, maybe some coding in exchange for beer
What ever mate ill be glad to help out.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Members

What ever mate ill be glad to help out.
What a star, all I need now then is to find a window switch panel with the mirror fold button, know any going spare? otherwise a trip to the stealership I think
Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I don't have the window switch but I can fold my mirror from the remote key fob after coding, the window switch is only in use if you want to fold the mirror on demand.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Members

Okay I might have sourced a LHD switch panel for my RHD car, is it possible to remove the actual switches from the plastic panel and maybe dremel out a square hole on my original panel and re insert the new switches?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Contributors

The switch block will separate from the panel.

Quick Reply: Help please - BMW E60 retrofit folding side mirrors with self dimming