E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

constant power for reverse light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:14 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54
Default constant power for reverse light?

Hey guys... I'm embarking into my own camera installs for a rear backup. I'm still debating the new navtool, but vague email responses about their product, plus the prices although lower, are still high. I put a camera into the family minivan a few years back, and I revisited it and was pleasantly surprised at the mega drop in prices for cameras and lcd screens.

So... I read one comment that BMW uses a pulse and not a constant 12V to the rear brake light and I was wondering if anyone could verify this, or give me an alternative. I figured I would try to find out this info before I go tearing into my trunk, hook it up.. and then have to think of alternatives.

Also, it's mentioned that the LED that is powered by the camera to replace the license plate light will cause an error. Does this error simply pop up on startup, and disappear, or is it constantly nagging (for those that have error LCD's).

I "think" I found the correct coding for the lights as well.. if anyone can verify:

kaltueberwachung_kzl
warmueberwachung_kzl

And.. another quick question about a switched power source that's easy from the dash.. I was thinking of making my way to the cigarette lighter, but if someone has a better idea I'm all ears.

It certainly looks nice on the kitchen table, rear camera with reference lines, I have 2 sizes of monitors a 4.3" and a 7". The 7 is nicer, but I'm trying to figure out the best spot. Ideally it's in the ashtray, but the 7" is a behemoth. It looks like it might fit decently by the driver's side vent by the gauge cluster.. ie not in the way, but filling up the space and maybe letting that vent still blow some air
Old 10-24-2015, 07:02 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

I used a tap from my reverse light. Works fine for me. No errors what so ever Only difference my camera is part of the trunk handle.

- You can also disable the Reverse light check, that may help fix the pulsing issue if you have one. ( Mines isn't disable though)

Last edited by JeremyR; 10-24-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:03 AM
New Members

Awesome info, thanks! Yes those codes are for warm and cold check of the lights. ..I think. .. haha. I also considered tucking the old light inside the trunk so it will technically not throw a code.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:25 AM
New Members

Just to update people.. the reverse light wire is definitely not good enough to run the camera. I have no idea how the heck it "pulses" maybe it's so fast my volt meter cannot detect it. I had everything wired up and I tested it, with a fuzzy camera. I broke out the ac/dc adapter and just plugged it in, it worked. I tested with the volt meter, it said 12.5.. so as I recalled that one comment about the BMW reverse wire, I used an automotive relay to trigger it, and it works without a hitch. It's a sweet looking camera picture and works great. I got a humongous 7" screen that is sitting in front of my shifter right now. Works for me.