E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cold Air Vs Hot Air Intake

Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Carbon black m sport package 535xi. Natural brown interior with black diamond trim. Dinan stage 2.

Hey everyone,

I know this is a heated debate on all these forums, but has anybody other than the vendors have data showing their cars with and without each type of intake. If you talk to RPI of course they are gonna tell you their product is better. If you talk to burger, afe, injen, really any DCI they will say theirs is better. Both show dyno'd results. I say lets hear from the people using these products and see dyno results from these ventures! Who knows after all this maybe the stock one works best!

please help...i need an intake HAHA 535xi here!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

RPi with BMC filter on the stock air box.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon black m sport package 535xi. Natural brown interior with black diamond trim. Dinan stage 2.

Thanks,

Have you tried both (DCI as well). Seems this forum is filled with RPI fans. I may have to check it out! Any other suggestions?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Contributors

When I had my 535i I had the burger tuning dcis. The car constantly threw engine malfunction codes. I switched bAck to my stock box and the problem was solved. Member macfly had the injen intake and dyno tested it only to show a loss of power.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by dbae1978
When I had my 535i I had the burger tuning dcis. The car constantly threw engine malfunction codes. I switched bAck to my stock box and the problem was solved. Member macfly had the injen intake and dyno tested it only to show a loss of power.
+1

here's the dyno of that 535i + injen DCI

http://forums.5serie...__1#entry832216

***on other forums some will say DCI's are good for short runs/tracks...however for long drives or multiple consecutive runs, heat soak is inevitable...followed by an eventual limp mode as the turbo's will get too hot....I think with the 335i's most get away with DCI's as they can couple that set-up with an FMIC, so it may offset the heat soak a bit. Unfortunatley with our 535's, we don't have an FMIC option, the engine anatomy is different from the 3 series making it harder/impossible to mount an FMIC to our engine..

I do remember coming across one thread on n54tech where a member tested his stock box vs a DCI set-up and measured his 1/4 mile times on his vBox...his times were better with the stock box...

IMO: it comes down to personal preference like anything else, if you want to hear your turbo's spool a bit more and don't mind some performance loss and risking possible limp modes, go with the DCI. For peace of mind and what seems to me common sense, go with the stock box and larger surface area air filter.....

GL with your decision...

Gene

***RPI seems to be the only manufacturer of an intake system (Ram Air Scoop) that compliments the stock box. Proven products and proven gains...simple reason why so many of us favor RPI products....

If you look on other forums, early posts from vendors would mock the idea of an air scoop and only push their HAI's...amazing how those same vendors now offer air scoops as well or at least an aftermarket air filter replacement for the stock box....now what does that tell you...
Old 04-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Hotdocta
Hey everyone,

I know this is a heated debate on all these forums, but has anybody other than the vendors have data showing their cars with and without each type of intake. If you talk to RPI of course they are gonna tell you their product is better. If you talk to burger, afe, injen, really any DCI they will say theirs is better. Both show dyno'd results. I say lets hear from the people using these products and see dyno results from these ventures! Who knows after all this maybe the stock one works best!

please help...i need an intake HAHA 535xi here!
most of those dyno's performed with those DCI's by the vendor/manufacturer were performed hood up/open, so heat soak was much less/absent. But I highly doubt you'll be driving around hood up or hoodless daily..