Clunking noise when I set my coils too low - 5Series.net - Forums

E60 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Old 05-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
New Members

Default Clunking noise when I set my coils too low

So I just got ISC Coilovers for my 2008 535xi and I put them down fairly far, just so the fender was slightly lower than the top of the tire with stock wheels and tires, and now there is a clunking noise when I drive that increases with speed and continues when I am in neutral. I am pretty sure that it is axle bind because it went away once a raised the coils up. Once I get bigger wheels I am hoping it will not even happen when I get the coils set where I want them; but does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this? Or know if it could be anything else? Thanks
liam_e60_535xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
New Members

Did you replaced your strut mounts.
DILLESTJAMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
New Members

You mean the collars that pinch around the bottom of the strut? No I didn't they're part of the main hub piece. The problem is only on the front by the way, I forgot to mention that in my earlier post.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
New Members

Any solution, i dont understand. When i installed coils on my e60 i also had the clunk. i replaced the top strut mount and i put 2 washers instead of 1 then the bolt after. maybe make a video so we hear the noise.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
New Members

I did replace my top strut mounts ( they came with the coilovers) but i did not put in washers. Im not totally sure how it could be the strut mounts because the problem is related to how low i set my coilovers and the speed i drive, it has nothing to do with going over bumps.
I called the dealership about the front axles on my car and apparently I bought it with the wrong axles because the part numbers didnt match. Not only do i have the wrong ones, but the ones i have are the same length and part number side to side when they are supposed to be different so I am fairly sure this is the problem, I just have to order new axles but bmw ones are super expensive.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
New Members

I had a similar issue when turning left while the ride height was set low. I adjusted my sway bar end links and it went away. You may need to lengthen the sway bar links.
AliensRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
New Members

Thanks Ill check that out too. my coils came with adjustable ones so they should be easy to mess around with
Old 07-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
New Members

Yeah you should always do an alignment after installing coils or any suspension!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensRGr8 View Post
I had a similar issue when turning left while the ride height was set low. I adjusted my sway bar end links and it went away. You may need to lengthen the sway bar links.
how did you lengthen them ? I am dealing with a similar situation.
535DREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
New Members

i think i need adjustable endlinks then
535DREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote