E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: If cost was not an issue, would you apply a clear bra?
1. Yes, seen one/have one, almost invisible, worth it.
33.33%
2. Yes, don't have one, good idea.
19.05%
3. Maybe, Iv'e never seen one, but sounds good.
22.62%
4. No, not worth the money
8.33%
5. No, seen one/have one, and cosmetically not appealing.
16.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicknec' date='Nov 1 2005, 04:50 PM
In my opinion this one of the better investments you can do with for your car. My e39 was loaded with chips on the front end. After a year + with my 545 with the clear bra, my car looks like new. I have the front bumper, hood, mirrors, and head lights covered.

I have the X-Pel kit and am very pleased. You can find an installer in your area on thier site.

http://www.xpel.com/
[snapback]192037[/snapback]

Excellant, these guys are right down the street from me, I call that destiny.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue (2006) premium package 330i Mystic Blue (2004) premium package, sport package

Originally Posted by nicknec' date='Nov 1 2005, 04:50 PM
In my opinion this one of the better investments you can do with for your car. My e39 was loaded with chips on the front end. After a year + with my 545 with the clear bra, my car looks like new. I have the front bumper, hood, mirrors, and head lights covered.

I have the X-Pel kit and am very pleased. You can find an installer in your area on thier site.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002. W203. C230 Kompressor::SOLD! 2004. E60. 530i.

In my opinion, I think the clear bra is really really worth it and useful.

I used autobahn 3M clear bra, the dealer installed it for me. Three days after I picked up my car, some one was backing up his car and hit my front bumper, luckily I had the clear bra, so I just have to change the plastic protection. It really protected from light hit in the bumpers and little rocks form the highway driving....

So, IMO, get it... It's really worth it.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Nov 1 2005, 03:07 PM
All kits are different, and the more coverage you get the more you pay.? Different markets can dictate higher costs as well - I'm sure that in Florida it's cheaper since a lot of tinting and stuff is done there for heat.

3M makes the only clearcoated film, which means you can wax it as you would paint.? The older generations of the film did fade, but this has improved quite a bit.? I went through a place that offers lifetime warranty on the work, and does the BMWs for several area dealerships.? They also do the film for Ferarri and Maserati of Washington which is close by.? The company they are affiliated with claims to be international - this is their website.

http://www.autobahndint.com/

They claim to have the only kit that wraps film under the front edge of the hood, where a lot of chips happen.? They removed the roundel on my hood when applying the film, so there is no cutout for it, the film is actually underneath.? I got the entire front, lights, mirrors, and edging for all four doors for $900 (they originally quoted me $1000).? That was the final cost, including tax.? I had researched and received quotes from about half a dozen places, and I couldn't do much better.? Plus the lifetime warranty that isn't tied to that specific shop was very compelling.
[snapback]191965[/snapback]
I can't find any info on the autobahndint site that tells you where to get it installed. Am I missing something?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Mr.PC' date='Nov 1 2005, 05:18 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Nov 1 2005, 03:07 PM']All kits are different, and the more coverage you get the more you pay.? Different markets can dictate higher costs as well - I'm sure that in Florida it's cheaper since a lot of tinting and stuff is done there for heat.

3M makes the only clearcoated film, which means you can wax it as you would paint.? The older generations of the film did fade, but this has improved quite a bit.? I went through a place that offers lifetime warranty on the work, and does the BMWs for several area dealerships.? They also do the film for Ferarri and Maserati of Washington which is close by.? The company they are affiliated with claims to be international - this is their website.

http://www.autobahndint.com/

They claim to have the only kit that wraps film under the front edge of the hood, where a lot of chips happen.? They removed the roundel on my hood when applying the film, so there is no cutout for it, the film is actually underneath.? I got the entire front, lights, mirrors, and edging for all four doors for $900 (they originally quoted me $1000).? That was the final cost, including tax.? I had researched and received quotes from about half a dozen places, and I couldn't do much better.? Plus the lifetime warranty that isn't tied to that specific shop was very compelling.
[snapback]191965[/snapback]
I can't find any info on the autobahndint site that tells you where to get it installed. Am I missing something?
[snapback]192058[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, I'm not sure they have it listed there. I was directed to the global site by the local shop I used, kind of the reverse of what you're trying to do. Maybe an email could get you started?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I wish i had installed one when i first got the car have a few ships now, I guess its too late now i do however have the head light and fog light covers that i am about to install. I think it may be cheaper to repaint the bonnet that to replace the head lights or covers.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Nov 1 2005, 04:25 PM
You can still get the bran installed over the few chips you have. In the week I bought the car before I was able to get the install done, I did get a small chip? or two. The installer said it was no problem installing over the chips.

I wish i had installed one when i first got the car have a few ships now, I guess its too late now i do however have the head light and fog light covers that i am about to install.? I think it may be cheaper to repaint the bonnet that to replace the head lights or covers.
[snapback]192065[/snapback]
Old 11-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by nicknec' date='Nov 1 2005, 02:50 PM

Thats the site I used back in 2003 when i needed someone to isntall clear bra on my MINI...

Look for those that have more starrs and have their own Design machine. Meaning they can cut the pieces at their shop. So if they mess up they can easily cut another piece. Usually it means they do more installs hence more experience.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I'm about to get mine installed by Invisiguard. Jeremy from Invisiguard is giving a deal to the Silicon Valley Chapter of E60 forum members since he's in the Bay Area.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I have it on my 330i and love it...defineatly will have it installed within the first couple of days of ownership. My tinter can do it. You can't see it unless your looking for it or the car is really dirty, then it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra-clearbra.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clear Bra