E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIP and DMS remap

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M6 Silverstone II

I'm afraid that i might be without the LED eyebrows for a while as 23.2 also took out my DMS remap , And I wont be going back for CIP 24 any time soon !! At least i now had the perspective view on the Nav.

When i got the car back after its first dealer service (a 2004 535d @ 17000miles i changed the oil and filter myself at 10k ) my first impression as i left the dealer was that the remap was still there ,

infact i asked MERV THE DERV who lives locally to come and compare it to his DMS'd 535d.

He agreed that my car still felt quick but not like "standard" or DMS'd as we rember it ? It picked up well in first and second initially but then "ran out of breath".

My car used to roll back on hills and never changed down to first gear on coming to a stop ......now there is no roll back and it changes down to first almost every time.

BMW obviously changed the software for the gearbox aswell , actually for the better because it now changes up through the gears very early ie approx 17/18 krpm which uses the diesel's torque much better than it did before.

So I made the call to DMS and the guy came on Friday to reinstall their remap.

The DMS map had been overwritten by BMW and a new map to suit the new CIP was installed to my ecu..........OOO MMM GGG their latest map is absolutely awesome.

My car felt quick before with the original DMS software but this new map is even better , it really gives you a massive shove in the back from around 16k rpm onwards and with the gearbox just in D it puts a massive smile on your face.

Actually Merv if you see this post it would nice to compare the maps on our cars , obviously i had my remap done originally in 2005 so the maps may well be similar as you only had yours this year.

As i said i wont be going to have CIP 24 installed just for the eybrow LED's...............Oh and talking of LED's Cargymn sent me a new set of Resistors for their lights and they now work properly too ( with the added earth wire ).

So i'm now a happy bunny .............apart from the wife has sent my xbox360 and hddvd drive to santa ..... .

Nick
Old 12-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

It's one of lifes weird things, but BMW DON'T actually wipe the DMS code, they do as you say overwrite with new BMW code, however this creates a bastard lovechild code which is why your car post CIP still felt quicker than stock. I've no idea how BMW overwriting the DMS code can cause a merge of the 2 codes, but that's what happens.

DMS code is the bo11ocks.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:32 AM
Members

I had 23.2 installd, and will be taking it in to get version 24. If you plan on driving without the lights working correctly, remember that it is a safety issue to not have the side LEDs working.

Also, has anyone noticed that the perspective view does not list the street names? IMO, it is worthless!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='368657' date='Dec 18 2006, 09:32 AM
I had 23.2 installd, and will be taking it in to get version 24. If you plan on driving without the lights working correctly, remember that it is a safety issue to not have the side LEDs working.

Also, has anyone noticed that the perspective view does not list the street names? IMO, it is worthless!
I agree - even in 2D if you go to 1/2 mile you lose most of the roads making it all but impossible to find a more direct path between two points unless you are on major roads - a big deal out here in the country where there are plenty of two lane roads that don't show up unless you are dialed in so close you can't see where they go. My Tom Tom 910 is much better at half the price even if it does have half the screen. BMW ought to license their technology instead of screwing around with NavStar.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='368657' date='Dec 18 2006, 02:32 PM
Also, has anyone noticed that the perspective view does not list the street names?
And you need the street names because?

ABC
Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='368661' date='Dec 18 2006, 03:03 PM
I agree - even in 2D if you go to 1/2 mile you lose most of the roads making it all but impossible to find a more direct path between two points unless you are on major roads - a big deal out here in the country where there are plenty of two lane roads that don't show up unless you are dialed in so close you can't see where they go. My Tom Tom 910 is much better at half the price even if it does have half the screen. BMW ought to license their technology instead of screwing around with NavStar.
I must try 1/2 mile view in TomTom and ook to see which roads are shown.

BTW if by NavStart you mean NavTeq then they simply supply the data and leave it up to Nav manufacturers as to how to present it.

ABC
Old 12-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Members

Of course I read the street names...isn't the point of GPS to help you get around? Yea, the perspective looks cool, but it is virtually useless without street names.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='368664' date='Dec 18 2006, 10:10 AM
I must try 1/2 mile view in TomTom and ook to see which roads are shown.

BTW if by NavStart you mean NavTeq then they simply supply the data and leave it up to Nav manufacturers as to how to present it.

ABC
NavTeq - got it. At 1/2 mile on the BMW you see only major roads and no names. On the TomTom you'll have most roads, some names but, more importantly, you can see which will take you across the map rather than only major roads that may be more circuitous. The TomTom also automatically replans routes much faster if you decide to pass a preplanned turn point for whatever reason. Often, the BMW's will insist forever that you turn around and go back to the originally planned route unless you tell it directly to replan. If I could slave the video output off the TomTom to the screen on the BMW's dash I'd do it in a minute.