E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Old 06-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

Just to clarify, the basic idrive controller for the pre-LCI mask system is totally compatible with the CIC upgrade? Does the CIC show vehicle details etc? such as service intervals, and errors/malfunctions as with your original system?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg520d
Just to clarify, the basic idrive controller for the pre-LCI mask system is totally compatible with the CIC upgrade? Does the CIC show vehicle details etc? such as service intervals, and errors/malfunctions as with your original system?
Yes it does, gonna get you a couple of screen shots.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Contributors

Old 06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

Thats very impressive man, looks a really professional install, did you buy the unit preprogrammed from Patryk? How much programming was needed upon installation?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport pkg
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N54

Glad that it all went well. Can you tell us a bit more about the coding process. I read somewhere that you need to hookup your laptop to your car and Patryk will connect to it remotely to install the codes. How does this work? How long did it take, did you have to remain in your car all the time it was coding. Sorry for all these questions, just curious.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Just did another session with Patryk. Got the DVD-in-Motion activated If you want this feature it run for $189 and got it done for free. No need to install a module.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...26fca532418a42
Old 06-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kakalika
Glad that it all went well. Can you tell us a bit more about the coding process. I read somewhere that you need to hookup your laptop to your car and Patryk will connect to it remotely to install the codes. How does this work? How long did it take, did you have to remain in your car all the time it was coding. Sorry for all these questions, just curious.

You have 2 options.

Option 1:You can either source the CIC, CID and Controller yourself and pay Patryk for just the coding. You will need a XP laptop with a DCAN interface that he can supply you with with a refundable deposit. Once you done with it you can ship it back to his US address and you will get your deposit back. The coding itself is about 1-2 hours. He's also able to clear codes.Yes, i had to stay in the car, he will ask you questions via Skype, will need to verify certain things.Believe me you'll want to watch the coding session. You will learn a lot about your car.

Option 2: He's also able to supply you with the CID, CIC, and controller coded to your car based on your VIN number, at a package price.The only thing just have to do is install it.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Nelson,
As a result of being one of the first to do this, you are sure to field a barrage of questions from those of us with the same interest. Your continued feedback is appreciated.

Gap issue with AC console, Thats only because i have a pre-lci. LCI owners will not have this issue. Is not as bad as it looks, will replace it when i find a deal on a used one.
Based on your earlier statement regarding the spacing on the AC console. Is this because the LCI trim that comes with the CIC unit does not exactly fit our pre-LCI AC console, or visa versa? If it is as I think, it would mean we have to actually replace the AC console/unit to the LCI version for a perfect fit, or can we use our pre-LCI trim for this area?

I'm actually choosing the path of least resistance and purchasing the CIC and CID from Patryk along with all cables etc, which means he will do all the coding prior to shipping the unit to me. I've already sent him a down-payment and he is in the process of verifying that we can get FSC codes for my car. Wish me luck.

Would you mind also listing all the coding extras you chose for your system. I'm definitely interested in DVD-In-Motion and also have a few other goodies in mind. I want to make sure I have a full list of coding requests for Patryk before he ships my kit. I'm also going to purchase the DCAN interface regardless so we can do remote coding if needed and then coding updates in the future once Voice control codes are available etc.

I also have to remember to choose the North American / Canadian NAV maps. If there is anything else you can think of that I need to remind Patryk of, by all means please let me know.

BDW, your install looks great!!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Members

Can you clarify this statement I found on another board in relation to your retrofit? Does what you have done have HD radio out of the box or do you still have to purchase and code the IBOC module (HD Tuner) @ $950 for the unit?

--------------

Originally Posted by Technic View Post
HD Radio is not part of the iDrive, it is a separate module like the one in the illustration above. So there's no "swap" possible, it is either having the module and the coding or having nothing.
Technic's correct.

Just to clarify, HD Radio is a separate module for those equipped with CCC (08 only). 2009+ iDrive models (CiC) have HD integrated within the Car Infotainment Computer (radio).

As a bonus, all iDrive-equipped M3s for 2010+ also have Sirius integrated within the CiC if specified when ordering - requiring CiC replacement if buyer's remorse kicks in after the vehicle is delivered.

--------------

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG