E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Charcoal Filter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I don't mean to hi-jack the other thread on this forum and from m5board about this topic however I figure I would put together a thread here for the record and make it sticky since its such an easy thing to do. Also, the steps given on m5board are overly complicated, but ofcourse, the M5 is another animal.

Let me start by saying that this filter exists only because some new U.S. law requires cars manufacturers to install it. It is supposed to keep vapors released by the engine from getting into the atmosphere. Now, it doesn't exist on any E60's outside of the US, so removing it causes no harm to anything. The fact of the matter is that removing this filter helps increase airflow to the engine allowing it to breathe more. How much more? Who know's... but it certaintly can't hurt anything! I definitly noticed an improvement, especially at highway speeds. Some members have mentioned that the engine sounds louder after removing the filter -- I don't notice any difference, however if it is louder then I like it. One other thing is that I now believe that the air filter itself should cleaned along with that entire area once a year. You'll see why below.

I know this applies for the 545 and 550, but probably all other U.S. E60's also?

The original thread on our forum for those interested is below:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=21740

First you're going to want to unclip the 5 clips holding the top of the plastic air box on. They're just regular clips where you push the plastic end down and the metal portion is released. The clip on the bottom right corner was a little tough to unclip due to the obstructions there. Use a long screwdriver from the top right side and you can do it.

Charcoal Filter Removal-.jpg

Next, you're going to want to loosen the screw on the clamp and remove the electronic sensor which I have already disconnected in the picture.

Charcoal Filter Removal-b.jpg

Then you can gently pop the top cover off and rotate it 180 degrees to see the charcoal filter. The filter is held on by clips from the other side. A screw driver can be used to pry off the filter slowly. I have already loosened the filter in the picture below. You can see the clip locations in the second picture. If you take off the filter and the clips remain on the box cover make sure to remove them. You don't want those things in your engine!

Charcoal Filter Removal-c.jpg

Charcoal Filter Removal-d.jpg

Hmm... do not remove... yeah OK.

Charcoal Filter Removal-e.jpg

By now the charcoal filter is removed and your job is done however I highly recommend to remove the orange air filter and to clean off the bottom side. Also you should clean out all the junk inside the bottom of the air filter box. I had a huge chunk of styrofome and some leaves in there as you can see. This should be a yearly service requirement along with the oil change IMO.

Charcoal Filter Removal-f.jpg

Charcoal Filter Removal-g.jpg

Make sure you clean everything our properly, especially the top portion of the air box cover where the charcoal filter used to be. Re-insert the orange filter, and put everything back together and let your engine breathe!

Charcoal Filter Removal-hi.jpg

Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

Lomag, who's better than you?!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

The bottom of my airbox was also filled with junk, including a large piece of styrofoam that looked just like yours!

I also cleaned the orange air filter by tapping it on a piece of newspaper on the ground, with the bottom side down, which released surprising amount of debris.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Members

Now you all should buy the K&N filter (like I did) and really let your car Breathe!! Those paper filters are really restrictive compared to the K&N (it's only like $50).
Old 02-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW

Does it really help?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

nice write up lomag but i only think the v8's have that extra filter.. i know my 525 doesn't
Old 02-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Sports Pkg Titanium Silver on Black SMG HUD

im gonna check and see if my 530 has it, im in canada so maybe we don't have this law or requirement but will be interesting to see, i will report back with any news. BTW is there a K&N filter that i can use for my car, if so whats the right part # or name??
Old 02-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

Brilliant!

Took about 5 minutes!

Lomag - looks like we have the same intake
Attached Thumbnails Charcoal Filter Removal-p1010393vb.jpg  
Old 02-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Bokke' post='234846' date='Feb 4 2006, 02:47 PM
Brilliant!

Took about 5 minutes!

Lomag - looks like we have the same intake
Your piece of styrofoam looks just like Mark's, so I went to the garbage in the garage, and guess what--the piece from my car is the same shape! I guess it standard equipment...
Old 02-04-2006, 03:34 PM
hmc
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Originally Posted by Hamann5' post='234835' date='Feb 4 2006, 02:31 PM
nice write up lomag but i only think the v8's have that extra filter.. i know my 525 doesn't
My 2006 525 (N52 engine) has it. I removed it yesterday.

The car feels more powerful but I hope someone has dyno data to confirm it.

Quick Reply: Charcoal Filter Removal