E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Changing VCGs, what else should I change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:40 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i
Default Changing VCGs, what else should I change?

First post...I am installing new valve cover gaskets in my 05 545i, prod date 02/05. I've read through many posts on this forum and ordered many extra parts to change out, in addition to the vcg's. From the forum, I compiled a list of other parts to change. I'm curious if I missed anything, as far as parts or special tools? Here is what I ordered:
valve cover gaskets kit (with screws, misc other gaskets)
spark plug tubes
vanos solenoid o-rings
exhaust camshaft pos. sensor/o-rings
valvetronic motor gaskets
upper timing cover gaskets
timing chain tensioners
alternator bracket gasket
waterpump
radiator drain cock/plug
I will be tackling these jobs in my garage, over a 2 to 3 day time period.
History of the car: purchased in June 2016. I've installed a new battery (registered by indy), alternator, active steering control unit (registered by dealer, vehicle inspected as well), transmission pan/filter/mech sleeve, rectangle adapter gasket in transmission, e-box fan, disa valve-the part at the back of the intake, thermostat, moved mpm and the other module out of the spare tire well.
The only issues with the car this month, oil all over 4 spark plugs and boots, CCC just failed (would reboot and work half the time for the last few weeks, screen is now completely blank/fan runs nonstop on the back of the CCC, SOS light on dash)
The vehicle has 158,000 miles and I plan on driving it for several more years. (I do 12,000 to 14,000 miles a year.)
I love working on BMWs, it is my therapy.
Previous bimmers: 1994 318is, 2001 330i, 2004 Z4 2.5.
Current projects: 2005 545i, 1973 Porsche 911T

Thanks for any help!
Go Sox!

Last edited by maine545i; 05-07-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:32 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eccentric shaft sensor gaskets at the top rear of the valve covers.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:40 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '03 745Li 130,000 miles
Default How is this project going?

Originally Posted by maine545i
First post...I am installing new valve cover gaskets in my 05 545i, prod date 02/05. I've read through many posts on this forum and ordered many extra parts to change out, in addition to the vcg's. From the forum, I compiled a list of other parts to change. I'm curious if I missed anything, as far as parts or special tools? Here is what I ordered:
valve cover gaskets kit (with screws, misc other gaskets)
spark plug tubes
vanos solenoid o-rings
exhaust camshaft pos. sensor/o-rings
valvetronic motor gaskets
upper timing cover gaskets
timing chain tensioners
alternator bracket gasket
waterpump
radiator drain cock/plug
I will be tackling these jobs in my garage, over a 2 to 3 day time period.
History of the car: purchased in June 2016. I've installed a new battery (registered by indy), alternator, active steering control unit (registered by dealer, vehicle inspected as well), transmission pan/filter/mech sleeve, rectangle adapter gasket in transmission, e-box fan, disa valve-the part at the back of the intake, thermostat, moved mpm and the other module out of the spare tire well.
The only issues with the car this month, oil all over 4 spark plugs and boots, CCC just failed (would reboot and work half the time for the last few weeks, screen is now completely blank/fan runs nonstop on the back of the CCC, SOS light on dash)
The vehicle has 158,000 miles and I plan on driving it for several more years. (I do 12,000 to 14,000 miles a year.)
I love working on BMWs, it is my therapy.
Previous bimmers: 1994 318is, 2001 330i, 2004 Z4 2.5.
Current projects: 2005 545i, 1973 Porsche 911T

Thanks for any help!
Go Sox!
I have the passenger-side cover off ( I have an '03 745Li) and all seals replaced. I can't get the cover back on. The spark plug tubes are aligned with VC and are halfway in and I had all the bolt engaged. As I tightened the bolts, I heard a loud snap. I took the cover back off and found that I had crushed one of the three positioning clips that are under the cover. They appear to simply hold the cover in place, so I will make sure the cover is lined-up better (for the clips) and try again. I used a shop & Vac with a large straw taped into it to clean out the plastic pieces. I used this trick for the pieces of the grommets that broke off and fell in during removal as well. ( I found out that by gently grabbing the grommets with vice grips during VC removal, they don't break - then remove the grommets from the VC it's out of the engine).

Please let us know what's happening with your ride.

Thanks, Dave
Old 05-31-2017, 06:07 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Regan
I have the passenger-side cover off ( I have an '03 745Li) and all seals replaced. I can't get the cover back on. The spark plug tubes are aligned with VC and are halfway in and I had all the bolt engaged. As I tightened the bolts, I heard a loud snap. I took the cover back off and found that I had crushed one of the three positioning clips that are under the cover. They appear to simply hold the cover in place, so I will make sure the cover is lined-up better (for the clips) and try again. I used a shop & Vac with a large straw taped into it to clean out the plastic pieces. I used this trick for the pieces of the grommets that broke off and fell in during removal as well. ( I found out that by gently grabbing the grommets with vice grips during VC removal, they don't break - then remove the grommets from the VC it's out of the engine).

Please let us know what's happening with your ride.

Thanks, Dave
I just finished putting everything together on my 545. I followed the Bentley manual to a T, but it obviously doesn't offer the little tips and tricks that these forums do. I did take gfactor's advice above and bought new eccentric shaft sensor gaskets. Thank you for that gfactor. This job took me about 20 hours over the last three days. That included cigar breaks and puzzle solving/googling. Thanks for the advice on the clips on the edge of the valve cover, Dave. One side had no clips and the other had 2 and a half. One was broken in half. I had the VC on and noticed the one with the clips was not seated correctly, so off all the bolts came.
I did end up breaking a valve cover bolt off, "luckily" it was in the timing cover. So off came the VC, again, and the vacuum pump, and then I was able to get a dremel in there at the correct angle to cut a slot in the exposed bolt, then back it out with a flat head screwdriver.
I didn't have trouble getting either of the VC's off and out. I did remove the fuel rails and also the air vent plastic shield at the back of the engine bay.
Unfastening the positive battery cable gave more leeway on the left side, as well as bending the oil dipstick tube out of the way.
I used my flexible magnetic pickup tool A LOT. I dropped many bolts and nuts into the bottom plastic tray attached to the bottom of the car. I had to remove it while reassembling the wiring and hoses as one nut was lost. I should have stuffed shop rags into the spaces below the places I was working.
So, the car started, no error codes, just reset actuve steering and I am back in business.
Thanks for responding. Best, Will