Ceramic verses Ceramic - 5Series.net - Forums


E60 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2017, 05:40 AM   #1
New Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: pa
Posts: 37
Default Ceramic verses Ceramic

I see there are ceramic brakes pads for sale that have a warranty of one year and other ceramic pads that have a warranty of 2 years.

They are both made out of the same material !

Can you really determine the difference between one ceramic pad and another ceramic pad?
scottalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Members
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,193
Default

What are you expecting out of a brake pad warranty? That they will last X number of miles or something?
NoQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
New Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: pa
Posts: 37
Default

I see there are Pelican Parts front ceramic brakes pads for $32 and there are front ceramic brake pads for $132.

No one at the store could tell me if there was a difference in quality.

Does the $32 pad last 10,000 miles and the $132 pad last 50,000 miles?

For $32 I could change the pad every 2 years and still be ahead.

Does Pelican Parts qualify all their vendors and parts? If so, doesn't it make sense to go with $32 pads?
scottalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Senior Members
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,193
Default

Check out FCPeuro

When the pads are used up, send them in and they will replace them
NoQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
New Members
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montreal Quebec Canada
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalexander View Post
I see there are ceramic brakes pads for sale that have a warranty of one year and other ceramic pads that have a warranty of 2 years.

They are both made out of the same material !

Can you really determine the difference between one ceramic pad and another ceramic pad?
Probably the same difference as non-ceramic pads. Just as there are differences among metallic and semi-metallic pads, there are differences in ceramic pads. Type of ceramic, binding materials etc. and price, of course. BTW, unless you are racing, tracking etc., there really isn't any advantage in using ceramics, even disadvantages in normal everyday use.
FormerE30Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Vendor - Starter Primary
 
PelicanParts.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Harbor City, CA
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalexander View Post
I see there are Pelican Parts front ceramic brakes pads for $32 and there are front ceramic brake pads for $132.

No one at the store could tell me if there was a difference in quality.

Does the $32 pad last 10,000 miles and the $132 pad last 50,000 miles?

For $32 I could change the pad every 2 years and still be ahead.

Does Pelican Parts qualify all their vendors and parts? If so, doesn't it make sense to go with $32 pads?
Hello Scott - What's your vehicle info and what pads are you looking at exactly?
PelicanParts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
New Members
 
BostonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner View Post
there really isn't any advantage in using ceramics, even disadvantages in normal everyday use.
not entirely true. ceramic pads tend to produce less dust than semi-metallic pads. they do have less initial bite, however.
BostonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
New Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: pa
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com View Post
Hello Scott - What's your vehicle info and what pads are you looking at exactly?
I have a 2010 528i e60 with 2 wheel drive.

The brake products I'm looking at are the following:

Front $46 Part #: D-8918-SC-INT
Brake Pad Set D8918SC - Meyle Ceramic - D-8918-SC | Pelican Parts


rear pads:
call and ask them for Meyle pads list the frontís but for the rear that are about $40



retaining clip front $14.75: Part #: 34-11-6-757-253-M4
Retaining Clip 34116757253 - Ate - BMW - 34-11-6-757-253 | Pelican Parts

retaining clip rear $ 9.50 Part #: 34-21-6-758-059-M4
Brake Pad Retaining Clip 34216758059 - Ate - BMW - 34-21-6-758-059 | Pelican Parts

sensor front: $14.50 Part #: 34-35-6-789-492-M584
Brake Pad Sensor 34356789492 - BOWA - BMW - 34-35-6-789-492 | Pelican Parts

sensor rear: $13.50 Part #: 34-35-6-789-493-M584
Brake Pad Sensor 34356789493 - BOWA - BMW - 34-35-6-789-493 | Pelican Parts
scottalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
New Members
 
BostonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalexander View Post
I have a 2010 528i e60 with 2 wheel drive.

The brake products I'm looking at are the following:

Front $46 Part #: D-8918-SC-INT
Brake Pad Set D8918SC - Meyle Ceramic - D-8918-SC | Pelican Parts


rear pads:
call and ask them for Meyle pads list the frontís but for the rear that are about $40



retaining clip front $14.75: Part #: 34-11-6-757-253-M4
Retaining Clip 34116757253 - Ate - BMW - 34-11-6-757-253 | Pelican Parts

retaining clip rear $ 9.50 Part #: 34-21-6-758-059-M4
Brake Pad Retaining Clip 34216758059 - Ate - BMW - 34-21-6-758-059 | Pelican Parts

sensor front: $14.50 Part #: 34-35-6-789-492-M584
Brake Pad Sensor 34356789492 - BOWA - BMW - 34-35-6-789-492 | Pelican Parts

sensor rear: $13.50 Part #: 34-35-6-789-493-M584
Brake Pad Sensor 34356789493 - BOWA - BMW - 34-35-6-789-493 | Pelican Parts
i've never used meyle break pads but have had good experience with other parts from them.

the akebono euro pads seem to be popular choice for the E60/E61 along with zimmerman rotors.

glad to see you are planning to get the sensor and anti-rattle clips as well. the process for replacing pads on these cars is very straightforward. sometimes the sensor can be tough to remove.
BostonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #10
New Members
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montreal Quebec Canada
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJon View Post
not entirely true. ceramic pads tend to produce less dust than semi-metallic pads. they do have less initial bite, however.
I don't consider "less dust" as a performance advantage, but maybe a "cosmetic" advantage.
FormerE30Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:12 PM.


All content Copyright © 2012 by Internet Brands, Inc.