E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Carbon Fiber Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Hi Guys,

I am getting ready to wrap my rear diffuser in Carbon fiber overlay. I ordered 3M 3D carbon sheet. Before I waste my time I wanted to know if there is any interest in DIY on this?

Let me know....

Thanks...
Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by syrousd
Hi Guys,

I am getting ready to wrap my rear diffuser in Carbon fiber overlay. I ordered 3M 3D carbon sheet. Before I waste my time I wanted to know if there is any interest in DIY on this?

Let me know....

Thanks...
I'd like to see some more wrap work.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545
Model Year: 2004

I'm in LA - maybe you can do mine if ur successful with yours
Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I did mine, it's pretty straight forward. A couple pointers if you don't mind me adding my 2 cents in here, as I will be re-doing mine to improve it.
1. Get the Primer and I would apply a coat on the back side of the diffuser and maybe on the left side or around the exhaust areas. There is a negative surface here and stress will always be on the material... I think the primer will help this.
2. Make sure you wrap the overlay completely around so that the entire edge is solid and not trimmed to the edge. I think the material should then come around and contact the primer surface area for better adhesion or to eliminate the edge peeling. I trimmed mine to the edge and I think I will re-do.
3. Clean the back side very well for max adhesion.
4. Invision the orientation or direction of the weave and lay it out before you order or start cutting. Do you want the pattern to go to the left or the right (45 deg)
Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I did mine, it's pretty straight forward. A couple pointers if you don't mind me adding my 2 cents in here, as I will be re-doing mine to improve it.
1. Get the Primer and I would apply a coat on the back side of the diffuser and maybe on the left side or around the exhaust areas. There is a negative surface here and stress will always be on the material... I think the primer will help this.
2. Make sure you wrap the overlay completely around so that the entire edge is solid and not trimmed to the edge. I think the material should then come around and contact the primer surface area for better adhesion or to eliminate the edge peeling. I trimmed mine to the edge and I think I will re-do.
3. Clean the back side very well for max adhesion.
4. Invision the orientation or direction of the weave and lay it out before you order or start cutting. Do you want the pattern to go to the left or the right (45 deg)
Tony, thanks for the pointers. I am not new to wrapping I just haven't done the diffuser yet. I wrapped bumpers,hoods,quarter panels, etc. Also it is the first time I am using the M Di-Noc and I heard you dint need any primer all you need is just a very clean surface area. Also I am not going to remove the diffuser since I am very comfortable using the hard squeegee with heat gun combination. I am anxious to see this new 3M Di-Noc. I will report back!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by syrousd
Tony, thanks for the pointers. I am not new to wrapping I just haven't done the diffuser yet. I wrapped bumpers,hoods,quarter panels, etc. Also it is the first time I am using the M Di-Noc and I heard you dint need any primer all you need is just a very clean surface area. Also I am not going to remove the diffuser since I am very comfortable using the hard squeegee with heat gun combination. I am anxious to see this new 3M Di-Noc. I will report back!!!
Great can't wait to see it. Actually, I will wait to do mine again until read read your DIY. I only know about the primer becasue the company I purchased the material from recommended this. I didn't use it and was thinking that maybe it would have been a good idea around edges and perhapes the backside where I notced later a little lifting. Another issue I had or seem to have was when I heated and stretched the material it seems to lose a little of the adhesion properties. Not sure if this is normal or something I was doing wrong. So for my re-wrap, I don't think I will be removing the bumper to get to the diffuser as a stand alone, so clearly looking forward to your DIY!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by p3style
I'm in LA - maybe you can do mine if ur successful with yours
For sure!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 528i 6MT, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation

any updates on this DIY? wanting to wrap my diffuser as well!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mo858
any updates on this DIY? wanting to wrap my diffuser as well!
Yes,posted the DIY today...enjoy!!!