E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bike Rack question for e60

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i: Premium PKG, Automatic, Cold Weather PKG, Xenon Headlights, Sat Prep;

Wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions for my problem. Have been a long time road bike rider and had purchased an extensive amount of Thule roof rack equipment that I used on my 1995 325 until I purchased my 525 in December. Thule has not made a fit kit for the e60 so I was forced to buy the base roof rack for the e60. I was hoping to be able to utilize my Thule bike rails with the BMW based on privious posts here on the forum that alluded to the existance of a possible connector for the two. When I contacted BMW NA they gave me the following response:

"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding BMW accessories for your 2005 BMW 525i. We appreciate your enthusiasm for our vehicles.

Unfortunately, we do not have a connector designed to support the Thule bike rack equipment. However, there are 2 lockable Cycle holders for the rack support you have purchased. These locks may work with the Thule equipment, but because they were not designed for this purpose, I cannot confirm if they will or not. Please contact the parts department at your local BMW center for pricing and availability of the locking systems. "

Basically their response was that I was going to have to purchase a couple of hundred dollars worth of BMW bike holders and the investment in Thule equipment would be gathering dust in the basement.

Any suggestion or do I just suck it up and spend the extra cash on the BMW equipment?

Thanks,
Old 05-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by mikereyno' date='May 28 2005, 10:20 AM
Wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions for my problem.? Have been a long time road bike rider and had purchased an extensive amount of Thule roof rack equipment that I used on my 1995 325 until I purchased my 525 in December.? Thule has not made a fit kit for the e60 so I was forced to buy the base roof rack for the e60.? I was hoping to be able to utilize my Thule bike rails with the BMW based on privious posts here on the forum that alluded to the existance of a possible connector for the two.? When I contacted BMW NA they gave me the following response:

"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding BMW accessories for your 2005 BMW 525i.? We appreciate your enthusiasm for our vehicles.?

Unfortunately, we do not have a connector designed to support the Thule bike rack equipment.? However, there are 2 lockable Cycle holders for the rack support you have purchased.? These locks may work with the Thule equipment, but because they were not designed for this purpose, I cannot confirm if they will or not.? Please contact the parts department at your local BMW center for pricing and availability of the locking systems. "

Basically their response was that I was going to have to purchase a couple of hundred dollars worth of BMW bike holders and the investment in Thule equipment would be gathering dust in the basement.

Any suggestion or do I just suck it up and spend the extra cash on the BMW equipment?

Thanks,
[snapback]134074[/snapback]

Seems to me that your complaint should be with Thule for not making a BMW rack fitment and not with BMW for not making an adapter for their rack that will work with Thule. BMW racks are made by Saris...check their website for any info, but I think you are out of luck.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

They are simply trying to make you buy their stuff.