E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bavarian Autosport High Performance Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

Has anyone here used these before. I am getting quads soon so i have been looking for more performance parts to help with the loss when you go quad.
Advice needed thanks.

part number 5004 6
comes with all six coils for 259.95

"The core windings inside these coils have been modified to increase firepower and promote a faster, more efficient burn. This gives your BMW increased torque in the lower range of RPM and more horsepower in the upper range. Exact improvements depend on the current condition of your BMW's engine, but you'll definitely feel the difference. They'll also improve your fuel economy. Plus they come with new spark plug boots, making them an even better value. Installation is a simple, do-it-yourself procedure that takes about 30 minutes. Instructions included."

Also getting ready to buy Dinan Throttle Body
Old 10-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I' post='1029382' date='Oct 10 2009, 02:02 PM
Has anyone here used these before. I am getting quads soon so i have been looking for more performance parts to help with the loss when you go quad.
Advice needed thanks.

part number 5004 6
comes with all six coils for 259.95

"The core windings inside these coils have been modified to increase firepower and promote a faster, more efficient burn. This gives your BMW increased torque in the lower range of RPM and more horsepower in the upper range. Exact improvements depend on the current condition of your BMW's engine, but you'll definitely feel the difference. They'll also improve your fuel economy. Plus they come with new spark plug boots, making them an even better value. Installation is a simple, do-it-yourself procedure that takes about 30 minutes. Instructions included."

Also getting ready to buy Dinan Throttle Body
To me that seems a little insane for ignition coils. Is there any proven dyno numbers? I've heard the dinan throttle body is also way overpriced for the gains it produces. The word of mouth on this articular dinan mod is not very overwhelming. I personally don't have it but I think its kind of a waste. You're obviously doing quads for the look and sound and not the performance. If it was my car I'd just do the quads and be happy with the sweet sound and save the money for another mod. The power loss is minor for the tradeoff in sound and look so I wouldn't worry about trying to compensate for it in other areas. Good luck though in whatever direction you go.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

Originally Posted by JOHN' post='1029527' date='Oct 10 2009, 06:02 PM
To me that seems a little insane for ignition coils. Is there any proven dyno numbers? I've heard the dinan throttle body is also way overpriced for the gains it produces. The word of mouth on this articular dinan mod is not very overwhelming. I personally don't have it but I think its kind of a waste. You're obviously doing quads for the look and sound and not the performance. If it was my car I'd just do the quads and be happy with the sweet sound and save the money for another mod. The power loss is minor for the tradeoff in sound and look so I wouldn't worry about trying to compensate for it in other areas. Good luck though in whatever direction you go.
Thanks man, just seeing if any one has done this. I am just looking for something to replace the lost power.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Members

Thanks to the great information available on this forum, I changed the spark plugs on my 2004 530i this weekend and installed the new BavAuto ignition coils at the same time. I'm a rank amateur when it comes to car repairs, but with a socket set and a bit of patience it took me about 1 1/2 hours.

To answer your question, there is no question that after the tune up my car runs better and had more pep, especially in the low end range, and this is where BavAuto claims the coils will provide "some" increased performance. However, my car had over 85,000 miles and was long over due for a tune up, as it still had the original spark plugs. Thus, any improvement in performance could be due to simply changing the spark plugs. With that said, BavAuto recommends replacing the ignition coils around 75,000 miles due to potential deterioration of the rubber boots that cover the plugs, alhough my original ignition coils looked fine.

Thus, if your car has over 60,000 miles and you're going to perform a tune-up, then it certainly couldn't hurt to upgrade the coils. Simply replacing the stock coils would run you about $180-$200 anyway, so the performance coils aren't really an expensive upgrade.

IMHO BavAuto is a very reputable company, and I've only had very good experiences with them. If you have any further questions, I'm sure they'd be glad to answer them for you. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wanker' post='1030784' date='Oct 12 2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks to the great information available on this forum, I changed the spark plugs on my 2004 530i this weekend and installed the new BavAuto ignition coils at the same time. I'm a rank amateur when it comes to car repairs, but with a socket set and a bit of patience it took me about 1 1/2 hours.

To answer your question, there is no question that after the tune up my car runs better and had more pep, especially in the low end range, and this is where BavAuto claims the coils will provide "some" increased performance. However, my car had over 85,000 miles and was long over due for a tune up, as it still had the original spark plugs. Thus, any improvement in performance could be due to simply changing the spark plugs. With that said, BavAuto recommends replacing the ignition coils around 75,000 miles due to potential deterioration of the rubber boots that cover the plugs, alhough my original ignition coils looked fine.

Thus, if your car has over 60,000 miles and you're going to perform a tune-up, then it certainly couldn't hurt to upgrade the coils. Simply replacing the stock coils would run you about $180-$200 anyway, so the performance coils aren't really an expensive upgrade.

IMHO BavAuto is a very reputable company, and I've only had very good experiences with them. If you have any further questions, I'm sure they'd be glad to answer them for you. Good luck.
Thanks man.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

There was an article in eurotuner about these. Compared to old stock units, an s52 gained about 3.5whp on the dyno. It was recommended as a starter mod before any power adders like ecu flash or superchargers. I can scan the article if interested.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

I once asked about spark plugs, and a particular one called Pulsar or Pulstar (can't remember) and someone linked me to an article that said a spark plug is a spark plug, there's really no benefit to having an expensive one over the recommended one. I dunno what ignition coils are, but it sounds like they have something to do with spark plugs. I dunno how they are, but it seems like it might be a pointless mod.