E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Backup camera and front camera install

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up the front and backup camera package from member mentholguy. The whole package was very well done and the diy instructions were good. I emailed Kris a couple of times over the weekend and he was very helpful and responsive.

Since I have a 5 series with the new navigation system I had to go back and forth between the 3 series instructions and the 5 series.

A few things that I would add to the diy instructions:
1) I would recommend disconnecting the battery before doing the install.
2) I would wrap the wires in electrical tape especially when routing them across metal edges.
3) Don't close the trunk with the battery disconnected. Found out the hard way. I had fold down the seats from the inside and pull the emergency release lever.
4) There is a hidden screw on new 5 series that Kris points to in his instructions when removing the glovebox. It is behind the trim and insulation on the right side.
5) Use some towels or something to protect the leather area below the nav screen and the center console. I would also cover the plastic nav screen cover to prevent scratches.
6) I used a awl to punch a small hole in the firewall gasket just below the other wires and then a little oil on the front camera wire and wire fish. It worked very well.
7) I only really had to do the driver's side instructions for the front camera install as the large plastic piece was split in the middle.
8) I found routing the AV cables up behind the fuse area of the glovebox to work the best.

Some pics of the install:

I looked for a coated trim tool at two local auto part stores and only found metal ones that I was afraid would scratch the trim. I found this tool at Home Depot. It was coated and worked great.

This tool worked great for removing the torx screws on the nav screen.

Picture to show where you need to pry the trim off from. There is one more connection point to the far left.

Picture to show the connectors for the climate control trim.

Trim around the ashtray - showing connectors.

Driver footwell trim removed.

Front camera while driving:

Backup camera:

Old 02-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d m sport brabus forfour 2008 cbr1000rr 2005 cbr1000rr 2001 rc51

cool

this is what i want on mine...just not decided which route to follow
Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by wolfgang0524
Backup camera:
Hi

Does the guiding lines one the camera move with the steering wheel angle?

Thanks,
Thomas.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Looks great !!! I wish you have pics on installing the front camera and routing the wire back into the cabin.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Looks great !!! I wish you have pics on installing the front camera and routing the wire back into the cabin.
Overall, the front camera install was easier than I was planning. Have you seen the diy instructions from mentholguy or doba_s?

Once the driver footwell trim is removed, the wiring bundle that goes through the firewall is easily visible in the upper left corner. It isn't very easy to see the path to get the wire from the footwell to the center console. I put my head in the footwell area looking at the base of the center console and shown a light from the center console pointing down. I was able to see where the light went through and could then route the wire through there. The picture I took trying to show the location didn't come out very well.

On the engine side; once the air filter stuff is removed, the firewall gasket is easy to see and within easy reach. I was actually surprised how high it was. Once I pushed the wire through the firewall gasket, I routed the wire along with some of the other wires, taping it along the way. Once I reached where the hood release cables ended, I wasn't real happy with how I routed the cable. I may see if I can figure out a better way sometime in the future.

In order to finish the routing on the inside, I routed the cable up inside the trim toward the driver and away from the steering column. I used some electrical tape to secure the wire. I should probably go back in at some point and figure out a better way to secure it. You definitely don't want the wire anywhere close to the steering column.

I'll try to post a few more pics.

Let me know if this was as clear as mud.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

i too did this. great product hes selling. very ez to install. very affordable.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by thomassteen
Hi

Does the guiding lines on the camera move with the steering wheel angle?

Thanks,
Thomas.
Anyone? I'm interested in this upgrade, but want to know how OEM it is. Also, are you using the OEM BMW Multimedia interface to get the video feed into the I-Drive?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by thomassteen
Anyone? I'm interested in this upgrade, but want to know how OEM it is. Also, are you using the OEM BMW Multimedia interface to get the video feed into the I-Drive?
The lines don't change angle. I saw that on an X6 that I test drove. I'm not sure how useful it would really be, but it definitely looked cool.

This setup does not use the OEM ACM unit. Since you are in Europe, you can certainly go that route. I've heard rumors of someone getting an ACM unit to work in the US, but I thought I also heard other people having issues getting it work.

This setup uses an interface box that intercepts the idrive output and allows you to switch in other video signals. It came with a plug and play wiring harness that made the wiring connections easy, although it was a little tricky getting all the wires to fit behind the radio box.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

There is no issue in getting the ACM to work in the US except that it is not sold in the US. Its the same case with the UK as well. Infact I bought my ACM from the US! ofcourse it was imported from Germany.

A few years ago the ACM was better than these Video interfaces but I feel now they have surpassed the ACM in some ways. The ACM used to be nice because its integrated with the idrive but now even these devices are.

These devices now do some clever PIP stuff that the ACM does not do, these devices also use the full screen for video whereas the ACM still uses only a smaller screen even on the wide screen, I think its done to maintain the aspect ratio.

The ACM has inputs for front and rear cameras and will switch between them automatically. These have started doing that as well. The ACM suffers in that you cannot use the Front Camera interface over 25mph but you can view the back!

The ACM only has one Video input which you have to hack a bit to plug an aftermarket DVD.

So today I think these devices are probably better than the ACM.

BUT THE ACM IS OEM and will not void your warranty - You decide.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the feedback both of you.

I am not sure - I think I prefer the OEM route....

Quick Reply: Backup camera and front camera install