E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

B&B (Billy Boat) Stainless Exhaust is Defective

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

Title says it all. My Billy Boat (B& exhaust hanger failed at the rear tack weld and Company & Retailer is not willing to stand behind product in a way that is consumer friendly. They expect me to ship it back to B&B to have it rewelded. Hello??? What am I going to do in the interim???

If I still had the original exhaust, I would have to pay someone to remove it, have my original welded back on, ship it back, wait for repair, schlep it back to garage, pay to have repaired original exhaust removed, and pay for a second installation. Some other suckers might be willling to do it, I will not. Between the cost of installation, removal, re-installation, and MY TIME, I would save a fortune if I bought a Borla instead. I have had Borla on several other cars and never had a single problem with them. Can you suggest any other makers?

Personally, I would not purchase another product from either B&B or Bavarian Autosport in Portsmouth, NH.

For what it is worth, that is my advice. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 09-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

Why don't you fix the weld yourself? Or just take it to the place that originally installed/removed your old exhaust and have them do it. It's not that hard to do a tack weld, they might even do it for free since it would only take 5 minutes tops.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Well, B&B went out of its way for me when I had a problem.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:40 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by mcorliss' post='329653' date='Sep 1 2006, 12:05 PM
Title says it all. My Billy Boat (B& exhaust hanger failed at the rear tack weld and Company & Retailer is not willing to stand behind product in a way that is consumer friendly. They expect me to ship it back to B&B to have it rewelded. Hello??? What am I going to do in the interim???
You could enjoy that improved exhaust note for a couple of weeks until the repair was made. It would really sound great with no muffler.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='329673' date='Sep 1 2006, 01:49 PM
Why don't you fix the weld yourself? Or just take it to the place that originally installed/removed your old exhaust and have them do it. It's not that hard to do a tack weld, they might even do it for free since it would only take 5 minutes tops.
I have tried at about 5-6 different muffler shops in my area that claim that they do not work on stainess.

The place that put it on claims the same thing. What it comes down to is that frankly I do not have time to chase down a solution and felt that the suggestion that I send it back to B&B was not really practical.

RE: "Why don't you fix the weld yourself?" I am a banker not a welder. I will leave that to the pros.

Personally, I was mighty disappointed in how unresponsive B&B and Bavarian Autosport were. I will not be doing any more business with either of them. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Whether you care to...that is your choice. I am just warning you that I think someone who sells a product should stand behind it much better. If I owned B&B, I would be embarrassed and send the customer a new replacement item.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mcorliss' post='329851' date='Sep 1 2006, 07:00 PM
I have tried at about 5-6 different muffler shops in my area that claim that they do not work on stainess.

The place that put it on claims the same thing. What it comes down to is that frankly I do not have time to chase down a solution and felt that the suggestion that I send it back to B&B was not really practical.

RE: "Why don't you fix the weld yourself?" I am a banker not a welder. I will leave that to the pros.

Personally, I was mighty disappointed in how unresponsive B&B and Bavarian Autosport were. I will not be doing any more business with either of them. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Whether you care to...that is your choice. I am just warning you that I think someone who sells a product should stand behind it much better. If I owned B&B, I would be embarrassed and send the customer a new replacement item.
Wow, I'm suprised no one will weld it for you. If I'm understanding this correctly, the piece that broke looks like a rod bent into an L shape, right? That's BS that they said they don't work on stainless. A simple tack weld will do fine and it doesn't matter what type of steel it is. Granted the spot that they tack may not be corrosion resistant at that point but it's not going to fail in this lifetime if they do it right and no one is ever going to see that piece so who cares. And the place that you originally took it welded on your exhaust the first time right? Now all of a sudden they don't do stainless? Sue them then cause that's retarded that they would be able to do it once and not again. Either they lied the first time or they lied the second time, but they're negligent either way. I don't know why I'm getting worked up about this, sorry. But I'm with you, it's retarded when people don't back up their work. I'm surprised you don't know how to weld though, it's not very hard to learn, maybe you should just ask someone to show you real quick and then you can fix it yourself. Do any of your neighbors know how to weld, they could tack it on real quick.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mcorliss' post='329851' date='Sep 1 2006, 07:00 PM

Wow, I'm suprised no one will weld it for you. If I'm understanding this correctly, the piece that broke looks like a rod bent into an L shape, right? That's BS that they said they don't work on stainless. A simple tack weld will do fine and it doesn't matter what type of steel it is. Granted the spot that they tack may not be corrosion resistant at that point but it's not going to fail in this lifetime if they do it right and no one is ever going to see that piece so who cares. And the place that you originally took it welded on your exhaust the first time right? Now all of a sudden they don't do stainless? Sue them then cause that's retarded that they would be able to do it once and not again. Either they lied the first time or they lied the second time, but they're negligent either way. I don't know why I'm getting worked up about this, sorry. But I'm with you, it's retarded when people don't back up their work. I'm surprised you don't know how to weld though, it's not very hard to learn, maybe you should just ask someone to show you real quick and then you can fix it yourself. Do any of your neighbors know how to weld? They could tack it on real quick.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 520i

billy boat... what a name.. lucky i settled for eisenmann race
Old 09-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xxterxx' post='329937' date='Sep 2 2006, 07:02 AM
billy boat... what a name.. lucky i settled for eisenmann race

Well well well.....I believe it's only been a couple weeks (hello Znod) since I suggested to a few of you that you would eventually find this out. I will also never own another one of their products. The Eisenman is so far superior, and even the Remus (even in its non-stainless version) is better and fits better, IMHO.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Did it again. Oops. Ice???

Quick Reply: B&B (Billy Boat) Stainless Exhaust is Defective