E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Is anyone running KW Varient 1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Model Year: 2007
Default Is anyone running KW Varient 1?

I know the KW Varient 2 & 3 are poplar. Based on what I read the V1 is a pre set dampening. Is the pre set to stiff, does it have poor ride quality?
I need new shocks and I know the V1's are cheaper than an OEM setup. Any advice and review on the KW Varient 1 would be helpful. Thanks.
Btw - I just added 19" with 255 front and 295 rear
Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

I have Variant 1. Mines is set to around 3 threads from the lowest. It's really not a stiff ride, there is minor bouncing (considering how low it's at). The only reason I choose KW V1's, is cause for someone reason. I thought they were dampener adjustable. My original choice was BC BR coilovers (dampener adjustable). If I had a choice to do it over, I'd go with the BC's. They are not as expensive as the KW's. But I've had them on past cars & they performed really well.

Why is your tire set up really wide? What look are you going for?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by myxyzxo
I have Variant 1. Mines is set to around 3 threads from the lowest. It's really not a stiff ride, there is minor bouncing (considering how low it's at). The only reason I choose KW V1's, is cause for someone reason. I thought they were dampener adjustable. My original choice was BC BR coilovers (dampener adjustable). If I had a choice to do it over, I'd go with the BC's. They are not as expensive as the KW's. But I've had them on past cars & they performed really well.

Why is your tire set up really wide? What look are you going for?
Thanks for the input. My car sits low on the stock suspension and my front bumper is lower than normal. If I go with an aftermarket suspension I want to be as close to the current ride hide as possible so I don't scrape the front bumper anymore than I do now and a stiffer suspension would help with that. I called KW yesterday and they said I can make the V2 stiffer than the V1 because damping can be changed on the V2. Did you have the sports suspension prior to the V1's and if so is the ride stiffer than the stiffer the sport suspension?

My tires are wider to increase the sidewall and offer more cushion on these New York streets. The ride is great!!!
Old 10-19-2017, 06:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

@5fanatic, if you can afford it. Then go with the V2. But IMHO the BC BR (based off pricing) will out perform the V1 and maybe comparable to the V2 (if not better).

I should mention that even though I am 3 threads from bottoming out. The only reason I raised it to that level is because this was the wife's daily driver. Recently I got her a new Highlander so I took the BMW back & am driving it now. I am contemplating to set the coilovers all the way down to it's lowest setting ( I removed the bump stops on the C/O). This was the way I had it set up originally. Even then, the ride was not bad at all (I wished I could have gone lower).

Edit: The reason why I said comparable if not better.... I have had the BC BR on 2 cars. One was on an E46 M3, the other being a 92 Acura NSX.. Both cars handled really well.

Last edited by myxyzxo; 10-19-2017 at 06:25 PM.