E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Android aux in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i sport package blacked out rims, factory otherwise for now.
Default Android aux in?

So Im considering having the 3.5 mm jack installed for my android to hear music. I wad wondering though, since I already have the apple jack, with the plug and all that, is there any way to use that so I dont have to pay so much money? Like does some sort of bluetooth adapter plug into that so I can use android? Im looking for a used ipod or something, but if theres any possible way to use that plug?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

You already have the USB jack in the center console? If so, I would just find a used ipod nano and load up all your songs on it and keep it tucked away inside the console and not worry about adding more things to the car just to get music.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i sport package blacked out rims, factory otherwise for now.

Well, my issue is that I use Android everything lol. Its not the usb in the console, its just the apple plug coming from under the carpet in the passenger side footwell. I did buy a used ipod, and it does work, Im just not a fan of apple. I dont like that I have to pay for every single song, even songs that had the rights lifted from them 30 years ago, and literally everything costs more money. Which wouldn't be that bad in itself, but when the alternative offers so, so much more being open source and all. I just cant fathom the appeal to apple products other than security reasons I suppose. So I bought a used ipod, now I need to buy a special cord, and a subscription to iTunes. To replace the 570 songs in my Galaxy phone you know? Its okay though, because it is just for the car. For the time being anyways. Im thinking I may just end up pulling the apple stuff out instead of just adding even more to the car, then sell it and have the Android 3.5mm jack installed. I do enjoy the functionality of the idrive with ipod and visa versa, but its not a deal breaker by any means. If I didnt enjoy BMW's wonderful engines, handling, and seamless shifting abilities so much, the apple only thing would piss me off a bit lol. I had a Ford Fusion for a while, that had sync, and with Android it worked flawlessly, even the buttons on the steering wheel, and voice command. I figure if Ford can do it, BMW certainly can. From what I understand the new BMW cars do support Android to some extent. It should be within 2015 when I can trade up to an F10 M5, or at least a newer M5, even still an E60. Either way thanks for the response.

Last edited by EvilDave83; 08-25-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: auto-correct stupidity
Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

I didn't know you have the ipod adaptor that replaces the CD changer, is that correct? I've been using the Aux jack in the glove box with my old android. Since then, I switched over to an iphone which syncs better over BT and able to display the addressbook now. Android wasn't able to display the information. So I still use the Aux for android or iphone for music.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Boost7
I didn't know you have the ipod adaptor that replaces the CD changer, is that correct? I've been using the Aux jack in the glove box with my old android. Since then, I switched over to an iphone which syncs better over BT and able to display the addressbook now. Android wasn't able to display the information. So I still use the Aux for android or iphone for music.
Yeah, its run from behind the glove box, but is longer and comes into the cabin. It also replaces the cd changer, correct. Whats strange, is that my Galaxy S4 bt sync perfectly with my car. So contacts, recent calls, missed calls and everything at displayed on my idrive, and can be controlled with the mouse and steering wheel buttons. It seems, at least through our conversation that there are more options than any of us may have realized on these cars lol. All I do is activate Bluetooth in my pull down menu on my Galaxy, then the car does everything else. I wonder what version your idrive is? What color is your screen? Thanks for the replies BTW.