E60 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Cruise Control: Upgrade to Stop & Go

Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 AM
  #1  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Default

I use my 2007 550I as a daily driver in stop & go traffic. It is factory equipped with Active Cruise Control, however it does not have the "stop and go" feature that BMW added in 2008+. As a result, when traffic slows to about 17mph, the ACC chimes then disengages. Has anyone updated a 2007 or earlier e60 with the stop & go feature in the Active Cruise Control?
I'm wondering if it could be done with a software update or if I would need to get a new ACC sensor/controller, etc. Any thoughts/suggestions?
jyamour is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM
  #2  
Senior Members
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,366
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default

Originally Posted by jyamour View Post
I use my 2007 550I as a daily driver in stop & go traffic. It is factory equipped with Active Cruise Control, however it does not have the "stop and go" feature that BMW added in 2008+. As a result, when traffic slows to about 17mph, the ACC chimes then disengages. Has anyone updated a 2007 or earlier e60 with the stop & go feature in the Active Cruise Control?
I'm wondering if it could be done with a software update or if I would need to get a new ACC sensor/controller, etc. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Compare the CC parts on RealOEM for both years. See if the controller and long/short range sensors are the same part number.
NoQuarter is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 06:49 PM
  #3  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks NoQuarter. It looks like the long range sensors that control distance are similar, however the MY2008+ have an additional short range sensor...
ACC no Stop & Go: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=66&fg=05
ACC with Stop & Go: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...57&hg=66&fg=20

I wonder how tough it would be to retrofit that short range sensor and a new control unit? Has anyone attempted this retrofit before?
jyamour is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 11:54 PM
  #4  
Contributors
 
BLooD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Essex, UK.
Posts: 2,553
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60
Default

Originally Posted by jyamour View Post
Thanks NoQuarter. It looks like the long range sensors that control distance are similar, however the MY2008+ have an additional short range sensor...
ACC no Stop & Go: http://www.realoem.c...099&hg=66&fg=05
ACC with Stop & Go: http://www.realoem.c...157&hg=66&fg=20

I wonder how tough it would be to retrofit that short range sensor and a new control unit? Has anyone attempted this retrofit before?
Have you done any searching?, member Benand has done this retrofit.
BLooD is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 02:37 AM
  #5  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by BLooD View Post
Have you done any searching?, member Benand has done this retrofit.
Thanks BLooD! I have been searching for a while, but couldn't find any info on the subject. Could you post a link?
jyamour is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 04:40 AM
  #6  
Contributors
 
BLooD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Essex, UK.
Posts: 2,553
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60
Default

Originally Posted by jyamour View Post
Thanks BLooD! I have been searching for a while, but couldn't find any info on the subject. Could you post a link?

Its there im not a forum search engine.
BLooD is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 02:11 PM
  #7  
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 31
Default

BenAnd and myself retrofitted ACC1, not ACC2.

For the stop&go feature a separate ECU behind the glove compartment is needed (somthing like ACSM or so). First gen ACC2 had just the long range sensor with all that was needed built-in. I remember that I read somewhere that with the stop&go feature BMW has redesigned the wiring for all the sensors in the front bumper and even introduced a separate CAN Bus channel just for it that needed to be separated from the rest of the car for crash security reasons.

It seems that each generation is not upgradeable to the next one.
ACC1 cannot be upgraded to ACC2 due to the byteflight/SGM/KGM change in 09/2005
ACC2 to stop&go due to completely different wiring - but this could be taken from a donor car

Good luck.
straba is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 03:49 PM
  #8  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by straba View Post
BenAnd and myself retrofitted ACC1, not ACC2.

For the stop&go feature a separate ECU behind the glove compartment is needed (somthing like ACSM or so). First gen ACC2 had just the long range sensor with all that was needed built-in. I remember that I read somewhere that with the stop&go feature BMW has redesigned the wiring for all the sensors in the front bumper and even introduced a separate CAN Bus channel just for it that needed to be separated from the rest of the car for crash security reasons.

It seems that each generation is not upgradeable to the next one.
ACC1 cannot be upgraded to ACC2 due to the byteflight/SGM/KGM change in 09/2005
ACC2 to stop&go due to completely different wiring - but this could be taken from a donor car

Good luck.
Thanks Straba! I'm going to see how many of the ACC2 system components I can find online for a reasonable price and try to wire it up. I'll document the process and post the pics online if anyone else is interested.
jyamour is offline  
Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 AM
  #9  
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 242
Default

I have 2007 model with ACC with Stop'n'Go from factory. I must admit that its most used feature on my car. Its not perfect but does work for majority of time. It will follow the car in front upto stop and can restart again on its own. This feature is by factory I believe that too from little earlier then mid-07, not sure why you are saying its from 08 only.
AI001 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
skidster
Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum
9
02-26-2004 06:42 PM
gonzo40
E60 Discussion
6
01-07-2004 01:38 AM
jmcaiado
E60 Discussion
8
11-30-2003 12:59 PM
Litster
Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum
2
08-12-2003 11:41 AM
Litster
Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum
3
06-17-2003 09:38 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Active Cruise Control: Upgrade to Stop & Go


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.