E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Backrest Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Good test run today. Got a brief video of the motors operating from the seat switches and when the door opens and closes.

Something to notice is how fast the motors move when tightening the side bolsters.

See Video

Here is a pic of a complete assembly
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo-1-.jpg

Last edited by NoQuarter; 09-24-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work!!! Did you wire the Active backrest width with the centre console switches? In the beginning you said that you will try not to wire them. How did you proceed?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Originally Posted by zagato
Great DIY write up! Congrats on your progress!

I just checked my 06 option list and see that I have option 456 installed (full electric comfort seats), If I where interested in doing this retrofit, would I need to do the exact same thing you are doing, or is it just a case of coding in my case?

Looking forward in your reply.

Keep up the good work!
Option 456 is required to be able to include this add-on option 4MF. You will still need to add the new modules and motors like I am doing.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by toniboni
Great work!!! Did you wire the Active backrest width with the centre console switches? In the beginning you said that you will try not to wire them. How did you proceed?
I have not installed the switches yet and the motors are working from the seat buttons. What I have not been able to get is for the active backrest control to show up in iDrive. I will continue testing some programming options to see if I can get it to come up. If not, then I will install the switches and see what happens.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

Some extra info on who makes the system:

http://www.newmaterials.com/Customis...orts_seats.asp
Old 02-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Complete success!

I have the passenger seat set fully installed and everything is working.

The buttons are required for this to work. I could not get an iDrive menu option to show up until I installed the switches. After I plugged in the switches and started the car, pressing the button causes the seat settings to display in iDrive for a few moments to show the selection. I'll get some more pics up another time.

Jim
Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations, that i was hoping to hear from you. The bad thing is that the seat is only active when you press the button. if it was active all the time i think it would be better. Great DIY. Could you post what is needed to be coded?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by toniboni
Congratulations, that i was hoping to hear from you. The bad thing is that the seat is only active when you press the button. if it was active all the time i think it would be better. Great DIY. Could you post what is needed to be coded?
I can't say exactly as I had option 4MF coded for months before I had done some other coding for other projects. That said, I think it was just 4MF added to the FA and and an NCS expert default code of APPL, and maybe KOMBI. I never made any manual changes to get it working - just default expert code.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

So here is the button and screen display:

Active Backrest Retrofit-photo11.jpg

Active Backrest Retrofit-photo12.jpg

Be sure to attach pop-tart cardboard to the seat rails to keep from scratching the car when removng the seat
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo13.jpg

Drilling out the pop-rivets that hold the original motor and slider mechanisms is really easy but be sure to catch ALL the metal pieces to keep them out of the seat moving parts amd leather covers. This is a pic looking at the side of the seat with the leather removed.
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo14.jpg

This pic shows the the slider part attached to the side bolster with hog rings. Pretty easy to reattach if you have hog ring pliers and hog rings
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo15.jpg

Be sure to account for all the metal bits when you remove the exisiting motor and sliders
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo16.jpg
Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

A few final notes for this project:

- The coding is pretty simple - although I can't EXACTLY which steps were required. An update to the FA with 4MF and a code of the BGM, CAPPL, and KOMBI.
- The switches seemed to be required. No interface to the backrest settings without pressing the button.
- With the cables already made, this is a 1 day project
- Remove both seats. Seats are easiest to remove out the rear door with the rear seat out.
- Tap into the PT_CAN BUS and route pt_can_high, pt_can_low, 15wakeup to each area under the seats

Each Seat
- Open the leather side flap areas on the seat, remove rivets, remove hog rings attaching side bolster to drive mechanism
- Pull existing motor out the back
- Insert new motor into position but not all the way
- Attach motor plugs before inserting motor fully into position. It is hard to reach plugs afterwards.
- Route cable under seat
- Attach new module under seat and attach cables

- Install seat and attach pt_can_high, pt_can_low, 15wakeup
- 30amp power and gnd can be re-used from existing under seat connections

- Install new switches in dash console
- Code for option 4MF

Quick Reply: Active Backrest Retrofit