E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

6 disc changer - check, mp3 - check, still no iPod love

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I ordered the iPod most interface (P/N: 65 11 0 036 448) last week and installed it today in my wife's car. She drives a 2006 530xit with build date of 09/05. She has a 6 disc changer in the glove compartment. The single disc CD on the head unit is able to play mp3s. The car has Bluetooth as well. When she inserts a CD containing mp3s the iDrive correctly displays MP3 in the menu, and song titles are displayed as well.

From all I have been reading this should have been a very simple plug and play. I disconnected the changer and hooked up the iPod interface. I then hooked up the iPod to the interface and voila I got the BMW symbol on the iPod. However, the iDrive never reads any data from the iPod. I can see the following menu in iDrive: MP3, CD1, CD2, CD3, CD4, CD5, CD6. Clicking on any of the CDx doesn't do anything. I never see anything in the iDrive that tells me it is trying to load the songs. I thought I might have too many mp3s on the iPod as there are some limitations with this BMW interface. So I wiped the iPod clean and put only one album on there. No change. I sat in the car for a few minutes, but the iDrive never reads anything from the iPod.

The iPod is a 16GB 4th generation nano. The users manual for the most interface leads me to believe that this thing should be compatible with it. The iPod is running firmware 1.0.2. Unfortunately I don't have another iPod with dock connector to test this thing with. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

I ended up driving to the dealership with the most interface connected, and they were feeding me complete bull. Told me that because I hooked it up myself they would have to reprogram iDrive and wanted to charge me 4 hours labor at $525. I was like, no thanks. So in the meantime I put the 6 disc changer back in and it works fine. Not sure what to do now. Any help/advise much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Marc
Old 11-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

I'm going to have the same dilemma in the near future as I have a cd changer and planning to buy the ipod interface, sorry I'm not much of a help.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by marcw' post='733876' date='Nov 28 2008, 09:19 PM
So I ordered the iPod most interface (P/N: 65 11 0 036 448) last week and installed it today in my wife's car. She drives a 2006 530xit with build date of 09/05. She has a 6 disc changer in the glove compartment. The single disc CD on the head unit is able to play mp3s. The car has Bluetooth as well. When she inserts a CD containing mp3s the iDrive correctly displays MP3 in the menu, and song titles are displayed as well.

From all I have been reading this should have been a very simple plug and play. I disconnected the changer and hooked up the iPod interface. I then hooked up the iPod to the interface and voila I got the BMW symbol on the iPod. However, the iDrive never reads any data from the iPod. I can see the following menu in iDrive: MP3, CD1, CD2, CD3, CD4, CD5, CD6. Clicking on any of the CDx doesn't do anything. I never see anything in the iDrive that tells me it is trying to load the songs. I thought I might have too many mp3s on the iPod as there are some limitations with this BMW interface. So I wiped the iPod clean and put only one album on there. No change. I sat in the car for a few minutes, but the iDrive never reads anything from the iPod.

The iPod is a 16GB 4th generation nano. The users manual for the most interface leads me to believe that this thing should be compatible with it. The iPod is running firmware 1.0.2. Unfortunately I don't have another iPod with dock connector to test this thing with. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

I ended up driving to the dealership with the most interface connected, and they were feeding me complete bull. Told me that because I hooked it up myself they would have to reprogram iDrive and wanted to charge me 4 hours labor at $525. I was like, no thanks. So in the meantime I put the 6 disc changer back in and it works fine. Not sure what to do now. Any help/advise much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Marc

Seems like it does need to be programmed. Go to another dealer and just tell them to have the software installed / retrofitted.

I recently went and got my bluetooth retrofitted on my 09/2003 production year e60 and they took out my Ipod integration software. I have to go back monday for them to reinstall it.

Kind of crappy and They better not charge me anything.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Contributors

Yes, you need to be bring it to the dealer and get your software updated so your auxilary input will be recognized through your i-drive. It cost about $140, but i've read that you could actually get it done for free if you show them the service bulletin.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by radz550i' post='733938' date='Nov 28 2008, 10:23 PM
I'm going to have the same dilemma in the near future as I have a cd changer and planning to buy the ipod interface, sorry I'm not much of a help.
sorry bro, but this was a pointless post.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Hi there,

I am also in the same boat.

Disconnected the CDC and plugged in the IPOD kit, and no success on the iDrive.

I am going to the workshop on Monday/Tuesday for the software upgrade, and will report back once i get it done.

Here , for programming its a fixed charge of US$30! no hourly base calculations!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Bring to a different dealer, shouldnt have to reprogram Idrive just retrofit. Thats a bunch of bull $525, they wanted to see if they can make a sucker out of you.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Members

Just a quick update. I brought the car to a different dealer and they fixed me all up for an hour labor ($120). I paid $224 for the part itself so I got it all total for $364. Not too bad. However, I quickly found out that the interface is not able to charge my 4th gen Nano. So there went another $24.95 for the Scosche passPort adapter. I hope BMW will come out with a different cable at some point that allows the new iPods and iPhones to be charged without needing an adapter.

As a side note.. the dealers paperwork indicates that the iDrive was upgraded via the Retrofit path. However, the hidden menu shows the same version as I had before the install. So I don't think my progman was actually updated.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi All

When you re-fit a CD-changer / I-Pod /TV / ACM etc. or anything els to the Audio ( M-ASK / CCC ) you will need to get it programed ,the newer BMW's don't find out them self thats there are new "hardware" ( like the older one's with I-Bus system's ) so that the computer know's that there is a "new kid" to play with , when your are running and older version software on your car than the BMW dealership have on there computer ( PROGMAN version ) , the car need to have its software opdated before thy can code your re-fit.

Some BMW dealership have older PROGMAN version's also ( on a second computer/LapTop ), and can therfor make the re-fit codening directly , but if thy are hook up on-line to BMW M?nich ( as the most BMW dealership's are in Denmark ) there computere's are up-dated automaticly ( userly at night ) , so only if thy have the second computer "hooked" up on there system thy can perform the "trick" , and do it for lees cost for the customer.

Resent version in Denmark is V31.2

I gees some are just "freindly" and do it for lees with there main system , and regards to them

This just to information
Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marcw' post='737533' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:11 AM
Just a quick update. I brought the car to a different dealer and they fixed me all up for an hour labor ($120). I paid $224 for the part itself so I got it all total for $364. Not too bad. However, I quickly found out that the interface is not able to charge my 4th gen Nano. So there went another $24.95 for the Scosche passPort adapter. I hope BMW will come out with a different cable at some point that allows the new iPods and iPhones to be charged without needing an adapter.

As a side note.. the dealers paperwork indicates that the iDrive was upgraded via the Retrofit path. However, the hidden menu shows the same version as I had before the install. So I don't think my progman was actually updated.
Hi Marc, what dealer did you goto that charged $224 for the part?