E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i suspension change Bilstein vs KW

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Model Year: 2007
Default 550i suspension change Bilstein vs KW

Hi all,

My 550 has the Oem sport package and the springs are flattening out. Time for change and I was choosing between the options listed below. They are similar in cost, I don't track my car, I will put 19" s on at some point but will stay close to the recommended specs for wheels and tires. I do have the Wald frt bumper which is lower than Oem sport so I don't want to much of a drop and I don't want some bouncy cheap feeling suspension either. Please advise which is close to Oem but a slight upgrade for handling without sacrificing ride quality. Thanks!!!

KW varient 1
Or
Bilstein B12
Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Are the B12's coilovers? I went with the Bilstein sports paired up with Eibach prokit and I must say the ride comfort is as smooth as oem (sport pkg). Just a tad more firmer while making aggressive turns and the drop was noticeably lower but exactly to my taste. Good luck
Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by 5fanatic
Hi all,

My 550 has the Oem sport package and the springs are flattening out. Time for change and I was choosing between the options listed below. They are similar in cost, I don't track my car, I will put 19" s on at some point but will stay close to the recommended specs for wheels and tires. I do have the Wald frt bumper which is lower than Oem sport so I don't want to much of a drop and I don't want some bouncy cheap feeling suspension either. Please advise which is close to Oem but a slight upgrade for handling without sacrificing ride quality. Thanks!!!

KW varient 1
Or
Bilstein B12
Wassup bro?... I cant speak for Bilsteins but I would say KW V1, I recently installed a pair of ST Coils which are made by KW. EXACTLY the same as V1's, only difference is V1's have stainless steel body (lifetime warranty) and ST's have Galvanized steel body (5 year warranty). Dampening is pre-set and not adjuststable not something I intended on messing with anyway. Ride feels great coming from stock sport suspension myself, it is a TAD firmer than stock but that is to be expected with a suspension upgrade. Noone notices i have made the switch, car is not bouncy AT ALL or jarring just right. I have no complaints. Some will say go with the V2 or V3 all depends on what you're looking for, I would get the V1's. Check out the ST's fraction of the price same EXACT coilover same company besides the 2 differences i mentioned above. Hope this helps
Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60

i have ST Coilovers as well with no complaints and my ride height is pretty low
Old 06-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Are the B12's coilovers? I went with the Bilstein sports paired up with Eibach prokit and I must say the ride comfort is as smooth as oem (sport pkg). Just a tad more firmer while making aggressive turns and the drop was noticeably lower but exactly to my taste. Good luck
Thanks for the reply. The B12 is the same as the pro kit you have . Do you have a pic of your car with the new kit so I can see the drop and are you running 19's (wheel & tire specs please)

Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Wassup bro?... I cant speak for Bilsteins but I would say KW V1, I recently installed a pair of ST Coils which are made by KW. EXACTLY the same as V1's, only difference is V1's have stainless steel body (lifetime warranty) and ST's have Galvanized steel body (5 year warranty). Dampening is pre-set and not adjuststable not something I intended on messing with anyway. Ride feels great coming from stock sport suspension myself, it is a TAD firmer than stock but that is to be expected with a suspension upgrade. Noone notices i have made the switch, car is not bouncy AT ALL or jarring just right. I have no complaints. Some will say go with the V2 or V3 all depends on what you're looking for, I would get the V1's. Check out the ST's fraction of the price same EXACT coilover same company besides the 2 differences i mentioned above. Hope this helps
I went to the ST site and they didn't have suspension kit or coils for a 2007 550. Should I be looking at a different site?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by 5fanatic
I went to the ST site and they didn't have suspension kit or coils for a 2007 550. Should I be looking at a different site?
They have them Part Number 90203 (http://www.stsuspensions.com/product...ver-kit-5.html) ... They have to build them out takes a couple days. Shoot Acuteperformance a PM Dayne or Michael can help you out cheaper then direct order. I ordered mine through them.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Those are same I think http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FY0DOgodP1wATQ and they have $100 rebate with free shipping.
How do you know if these are manufactured by KW. Why it carries deferent name and not KW.? Just wondering because I am also thinking to put the coilovers. Price seems attractive for STs but really do not want to spend that money and time on something that I'll regret as I do with many aftermarket parts. Except RPI exhaust.
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Margal
Those are same I think Welcome to bavauto.com | ST Performance Coilover Kit and they have $100 rebate with free shipping.
How do you know if these are manufactured by KW. Why it carries deferent name and not KW.? Just wondering because I am also thinking to put the coilovers. Price seems attractive for STs but really do not want to spend that money and time on something that I'll regret as I do with many aftermarket parts. Except RPI exhaust.
Thanks.
It's a well known fact, you can look it up just about anywhere. Also if you go on the website and click the about us tab tells you all you need to know. Not to mention the number for ST is KW's number. The suspension is identical to V1's besides the colorway, install instructions identical, only difference is galvanized steel body (5 year warranty) vs stainless steel body (lifetime warranty). Price difference almost half. Definitely check out the site I wondered the same before buying them. At the price point its a no brainer in my opinion.

Last edited by Quarta2six; 06-10-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
It's a well known fact, you can look it up just about anywhere. Also if you go on the website and click the about us tab tells you all you need to know. Not to mention the number for ST is KW's number. The suspension is identical to V1's besides the colorway, install instructions identical, only difference is galvanized steel body (5 year warranty) vs stainless steel body (lifetime warranty). Price difference almost half. Definitely check out the site I wondered the same before buying them. At the price point its a no brainer in my opinion.
Great description I couldn't have said it much better myself.

The only downside to the ST is if you live in an area where it snows, the shock body will start to rust after a season of driving it in the salt and snow.

If you look at the bottom of the ST website it says KW North America Inc. so you know its legit!

Quick Reply: 550i suspension change Bilstein vs KW