E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i Project Journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Hey Brian, are you going have it in by Saturday? If you are, I might stop and have a look if you dont mind.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wtlb
Cool!! I look forward to seeing more of your project. Good luck.
Thank you. Will post some photos up soon.

Originally Posted by nairb
Web site says 12 - 14 hrs.. Realistic?
Went over the installation manual and, well, yeah, it seems realistic. Will know for sure once we've got the thing installed and running.

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Can't wait to see it action.
ME TOO!!

Originally Posted by dsm
finally someone is getting it. Although im still unhappy its only a 100hp. I hope its even more than that. Anxiously waiting for the results. Be sure to take before and after videos please.
jjsigpi had it installed this past summer but he kept pretty low key about it. Didn't get a chance to take "before" video's, but will be sure to take some "after" videos for you and anybody else interested.

Originally Posted by ETNav382
Hey Brian, are you going have it in by Saturday? If you are, I might stop and have a look if you dont mind.
Yo. Car is at the shop now..will shoot you a text when it's ready. A test drive sounds good. Hopefully the weather will dry up around here.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

I agree. I would like to think they left some room for us to squeeze some power out these motors. If this works great on your car, and I do decide not to purchase this 911turbo, I would get that ess. They need to step it up and get with the program to help us 550 guys out. Just take your time and make sure everything is installed properly so nothing messes up with your car. I cant wait to see the results. If it gets to +400hp, that would be awesome.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by boots
I agree. I would like to think they left some room for us to squeeze some power out these motors. If this works great on your car, and I do decide not to purchase this 911turbo, I would get that ess. They need to step it up and get with the program to help us 550 guys out. Just take your time and make sure everything is installed properly so nothing messes up with your car. I cant wait to see the results. If it gets to +400hp, that would be awesome.
Yeah, if it works out okay then why not. Here are some photos so far:

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

building a beast!!! can not wait to see this.. good luck and def. subscribed
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jg525i
building a beast!!! can not wait to see this.. good luck and def. subscribed
Yeah, can't wait. Gonna drop by in a couple hours and check it out.

Good luck to you as well. Sounds like you've got some fun and interesting projects in the works!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Oh yea, almost done. Its like waiting to get to the center of a tootie roll pop.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by boots
Oh yea, almost done. Its like waiting to get to the center of a tootie roll pop.
Haha. Stopped by a couple hours ago and my tootsie roll almost popped. Here is another photo:

Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

OK, so....stopped by Carb Connection in Kirkland to give John the OEM intake today. Apparently the Dinan one needs a bit of massaging to make it work- a side project for me at a later date.

The supercharger installation was pretty much complete upon arrival. John hooked up a couple wires, added some fluids, then we loaded the tune and started the car up. It started on the first attempt. The car sounded great and idled smooth. We let it warm and John double and triple checked everything over. After we were confident that things were good we took it for a very short spin around the block. He didn't let me romp on the gas pedal because we still need to take various readings from the car (A/F, etc.) but I took it up around 3500 rpm's and the car felt healthy. One thing I immediately noticed was that the pedal felt "soft". Not the tension of the pedal itself, but how the engine responded to me pressing the pedal...it seemed like it took more press to get the RPM's to a specific range.

John wanted to keep the car for a little longer. He wants to check a few more things, change the plugs, and toss it on the dyno before he gives it back to me. While I'm the type of guy that wants the car NOW, I appreciate his attention to detail and desire to do things the right way. Look forward to throwing it on the dyno tomorrow.

The big question at this point will be whether or not the supercharger is delivering the full 7psi of boost. Apparently decatting, adding headers, and a full exhaust will do that (something related to backpressure)? Hoping John has a way to measure the actual boost- which he probably does.. If the blower isn't supplying the full 7psi of boost, the numbers may be much lower than the anticipated 100whp advertised by ESS but we might be able to solve that with a smaller pulley..will just have to wait and find out.

Here is another photo from yesterday when the belt was installed:

Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Hey West, did you have your car dynoed after you put the headers on? That way you also will have a better reading on how the charger will do on the dyno.

Quick Reply: 550i Project Journal