E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 (2009) retro fit heated seats ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:49 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520D msport
Default E60 (2009) retro fit heated seats ?

Hi every one

Just bought my first bmw last weekend, 2009 520d msport.

Love the car its great, but was mega mega disappointed to learn it doesn't have heated seats ?
It has electric seats in regard to movement etc, but no heaters !
This may seem unimportant to most in regard to performance, spec and looks etc..... But I have a wicked type of Arthritis called A.S, having heated seats makes journeys a whole lot easier.

So, my question is, can I retro fit the heated seats ? (Front driver and passenger)

I see where the blanked out heated seat buttons go, Are the seats made without the heating elements in them or would the be in there ? Any one has any advice on this I'd be really greatfull

Thanks guys.

Wonky.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:05 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Originally Posted by Wonky
Hi every one

Just bought my first bmw last weekend, 2009 520d msport.

Love the car its great, but was mega mega disappointed to learn it doesn't have heated seats ?
It has electric seats in regard to movement etc, but no heaters !
This may seem unimportant to most in regard to performance, spec and looks etc..... But I have a wicked type of Arthritis called A.S, having heated seats makes journeys a whole lot easier.

So, my question is, can I retro fit the heated seats ? (Front driver and passenger)

I see where the blanked out heated seat buttons go, Are the seats made without the heating elements in them or would the be in there ? Any one has any advice on this I'd be really greatfull

Thanks guys.

Wonky.

you can at the very least do aftermarket heated seats, which may be easier. I assume the heated elements would not be there and needed to be put in. I thought about doing my rear seats.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

This may help.. but not directly related.

On every single car I have modified (but not BMW) If there are heated seats available, then all the plugs will be there. You'd have to source new power heated seats that you may be able to get from a junkyard for 200 bucks or so... and a switch (probably same junkyard).

All you have to do is unbolt the seat and put in the new one, plug it all in. Then pop open that dummy cover and find the plug for the switch and you'll be okay.

A LOT of effort if these parts aren't readily and cheaply available.. What you really want is the heated steering wheel

Aftermarket heated seat covers are under $50 here in the US and you just throw the pad on and plug it to the cigarette lighter. Much easier option obviously.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:30 PM
New Members

Yes I've got an aftermarket one but it's crap.... Looks crap in such a nice car, and gets all bunched up... Moves when you get in and out etc..... It's not easy for me to shift around and manipulate it back into the right neat and tidy shape it should be in......
All my last motors have had them, I foolishly assumed this would too have leather and also powered seats......
You'd think it would cost bmw more to produce seats with and seats without then it would to just to them all !!!
I had a look under neath today as I'd dropped my ecig under the seat.... Loads of wires, plugs, motors etc.... Half expected to just see the plug for heater elements hanging there waiting for me....
Ever the optimist

I had figured seat swap may have been the easiest option......

Heated steering wheel just sounds divine.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Wonky, it requires new seats, a new dash panel with the buttons, and wiring as they have separate fuses and separate controlling modules built in AFAIK.

one alternative:
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...trofit-108722/
Old 01-23-2015, 10:27 AM
New Members

That's a bummer.... I mean Beemer.... I mean bimmer
Doh!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Lol great pun!

Depending on how bad your arthritis is, consider getting comfort seats - there's a pair on ebay for £300 right now. From what everyone tells me, these are the most sublime seats you will ever sit in. Although that listing doesn't mention that it's heated seats, I would like to think all comfort seats came with heated seats as the comfort seats alone were a £1000 option!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:19 PM
New Members

Thanks buddy, I'll take a look.....
Regarding the pun i made up all by myself, and what? Only having owned a bmw for less than a week !!!

Can any one explain to me why it's nit Beemer it's bimmer?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 BMW 528XI, 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 324cui
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Wonky
Thanks buddy, I'll take a look.....
Regarding the pun i made up all by myself, and what? Only having owned a bmw for less than a week !!!

Can any one explain to me why it's nit Beemer it's bimmer?
Beemers are the motor cycles.