E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

535i Muffler Delete with video!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After researching exhaust options, I decided that I did not want to spend 1k on a Mangaflow system or even 2k on a RPI. I went to my local muffler shop and talked to them about my options. I settled on just a muffler delete from the axle back and running 3 inch pipe straight into 2 tips. Originally, I wanted to delete my muffler and resonators and run a Magnaflow muffler with tips but my exhaust guy told me to try the cheaper route first. I must say that I am extremely satisfied with the sound produced. Of course, you probably wont see any performance gains from this but you might feel faster due to the sound your car creates now. The best part is that I only spent $200 including labor.

Here's a quick video right after I got it installed. I'll take some better videos on my camera (not phone) soon. I want to get a drive by and launch video taped.

Last edited by ketchupfreak; 10-08-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

sounds pretty good on video but it might be bad in person. any drone?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jasperxli
sounds pretty good on video but it might be bad in person. any drone?
I actually think it sounds better in person than on video. That was taken from my galaxy nexus so sound replication isn't the best. No drone at all.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Sweet!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: None

It sounds good to me and what I'm looking for too! Do you know is there are any downfalls with doing with on 535i's because of the turbo and "needing back pressure"? I don't know much about back pressure but have read that our turbo 535i's need some of it to keep the performance?

Thanks for sharing the video!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Sport, Premium, Navi, Comfort Access, USB/iPod Bluetooth, Cold Weather Package, Bi Xenon Cornering Headlights

Which muffler did you remove, the full rear section?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

Sounds really good! Kind of sounds like my gt haus
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by G.Sauce
It sounds good to me and what I'm looking for too! Do you know is there are any downfalls with doing with on 535i's because of the turbo and "needing back pressure"? I don't know much about back pressure but have read that our turbo 535i's need some of it to keep the performance?

A ton of 335's have done this mod before which is why I was comfortable with doing it. As far as a loss of performance, I can say there is none.

Originally Posted by NYAWE60
Which muffler did you remove, the full rear section?
Yes I kept the secondary cats, and the resonators. I only deleted the rear muffler.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Shydee
Sounds really good! Kind of sounds like my gt haus
Awesome! How much was that exhaust?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by G.Sauce

I replaced the stock muffler with a high flow V8 Camaro muffler and ran a pipe to the passenger side for the quad dual look on my 535.
The exhaust drone was horrible and it messed up the performance of the engine.
I lost alot of low end boost and it didn't pull very hard up to. The gas mileage sucked.
Put the stock muffler back on, got rid of the nasty drone and got my power and gas mileage back.
I also thought that opening up the exhaust would give me more power but I was way wrong. These N54's want back pressure.

Quick Reply: 535i Muffler Delete with video!