E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Advise on new disks

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 05:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 520D E60 M Sport
Default Advise on new disks

Hey everyone,

So it looks like my front disks are on there way out so I thought if I'm replacing them then I might as well get some drilled and grooved ones, however I don't really have or want to spend a fortune. Has anyone here upgraded there disks? If so where did you purchase from? I have checked a couple of sights and there seems to be two sizes, would that be correct? Sizes in diameter and thickness.

Also a flat hub and a step hub....

Anyway would getting a bigger size make a difference to the car? I know they would look nicer through the alloys..

Any help is appreciated and feel free to add links to parts and sites you have used. Would probably do the back disks as well while I'm at it.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:48 AM
New Members

Probably should of added why I'm replacing them. The steering wheel is starting to shake when braking slowly, however if I press them hard she will stop without the wheel shaking.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Smokie365
Hey everyone,

So it looks like my front disks are on there way out so I thought if I'm replacing them then I might as well get some drilled and grooved ones, however I don't really have or want to spend a fortune. Has anyone here upgraded there disks?
Drilled and grooved brakes are not necessarily an upgrade, except arguably for the looks. Just replace yours with OEM or Zimmermann. An upgrade might be had with changing the pads however.
Respectfully, Bob P.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM
New Members

Pads would have to be replaced with new disks wouldn't they?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Default Rotors

Hey everyone,

So it looks like my front disks are on there way out so I thought if I'm replacing them then I might as well get some drilled and grooved ones, however I don't really have or want to spend a fortune. Has anyone here upgraded there disks? If so where did you purchase from? I have checked a couple of sights and there seems to be two sizes, would that be correct? Sizes in diameter and thickness.

Also a flat hub and a step hub....

Anyway would getting a bigger size make a difference to the car? I know they would look nicer through the alloys..

Any help is appreciated and feel free to add links to parts and sites you have used. Would probably do the back disks as well while I'm at it.

I just purchased a brake kit from R1 Concepts for $326.00 i got the drill and slotted rotors the black zinc edition. 4 rotors brake pads and sensor cables. Its a nice kit. I found it on ebay but i went ahead and call R1 Concepts and got a sale deal. I would of paid about 80 bucks more from ebay. Im waiting for the indy guy to get back in town for the install. I have a 07 550i.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005

Pads would have to be replaced with new disks wouldn't they?
Yes, but those could be upgraded. Just stick with OEM and upgrade the pads. Drilled and slotted discs are not an upgrade, but they do look cool, I guess, just like painted calipers.

Salut, Bob P.