E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

3M clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

My 3M has been on for 3 years. I have a lifetime warranty. The company that did it does all the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati cars in Washington, DC. They also do many BMW dealerships. Autobahnd is the name. http://www.autobahndint.com/ Installers become licensed partners.

There aren't many kinds of film, mostly the difference is in the patterns and warranty. The company that did mine claims to be the only pattern that wraps the film under the leading edge of the hood - they actually remove the roundel to apply the film.

I did the headlights, side mirrors, full front, and the door edging. It's a great investment.

When the car is dirty it looks different from the rest of the car, but with a clean car it's indistinguishable. The 3M film is the only film that is clearcoated. You can wax it, etc...
Old 04-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='559073' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:36 AM
I couple of very reliable detailers have agreed on this. Long term there will be a noticible color difference (more pronounced in darker colors).

If you have a lifetime warranty, you just have them redo it once it discolors. If you're suggesting that the bra reduces sun fading or environmental damage - and that this will make the covered paint a different hue than the rest of the car... I would say that would be highly dependent on the amount of time the car spends in the sun and in harmful conditions. Mine is never outside for extended periods - it's always garaged since most of the places I go have garage parking, etc...

I suppose if you leave your car in a parking lot 8-9 hours a day 5 days a week, you have damaged paint as well as a damaged clearbra.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Nav, Xenon and PDC

When the car is dirty it looks different from the rest of the car, but with a clean car it's indistinguishable. The 3M film is the only film that is clearcoated. You can wax it, etc...
I'll second this. I installed the clear bra on my wife's MDX a few years ago, including the headlight/foglight and mirror areas. When the car is dirty, you can clearly see the clear bra, but after a quick wash you wouldn't notice a thing unless you knew exactly where to look.

As for whether or not it's worth it...well, I think it is. If you have a fist-sized rock smashing into your fender at 80 miles an hour, obviously this wouldn't be a great deterrent; however, it will prevent pebbles and pieces of asphalt that skip up and scrape against the car from leaving scratches.

I'm not sure about the paint discoloration effect, as I haven't ever taken the mask off the MDX, but again I'll echo UUronL here and suggest that if a car sits outdoors for hours at a time, you'll probably see some color difference in the paint eventually, as the weather will have different effects on the exposed vs covered areas of your car.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I talked with my friend that works the Auto auctions for Many dealers and body shops, He said under normal conditions It helps , and will increase the value of your car.

There was a but, If the car spends most of it time in the sun ( like here in the Deep south) they yellow and look very bad. So if you garage you car they are good, if you don't have a garage or leave it baking in the sun while you are at work don't get one.

Nuff said
Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, carbon black on black, sport automatic, M package (M-tech), Premium package, tech package, USB...

Thanks for all you inputs. Base on all your feedback, since I am working at a place with no covered parking, I don't think I will be getting it. Thanks again...
Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by 08E60' post='559189' date='Apr 10 2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks for all you inputs. Base on all your feedback, since I am working at a place with no covered parking, I don't think I will be getting it. Thanks again...
I just got my 545i Black Sapphire done with venture shield which includes a lifetime warranty. The whole hood, fenders, and front bumper which set me back $1200. If you have a black car i definately think you should put one on. The rock chips will pile up and in the long run you'll end up having to paint it.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Members

I agree......did it on my M5 and not looking back......and mine does sit outside 8-10 hours a day........
Old 04-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One
Unhappy

I decided to put one on 550i because here in FL there are way too many bugs that get smashed on the paint. And, if you don't immediately take them off it screws-up the paint; especially during "love bug" season [if anyone's familiar with that]..
Old 04-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='559314' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:44 PM
I just got my 545i Black Sapphire done with venture shield which includes a lifetime warranty. The whole hood, fenders, and front bumper which set me back $1200. If you have a black car i definately think you should put one on. The rock chips will pile up and in the long run you'll end up having to paint it.
I was looking into that since it seems stronger than the 3M one, but from all the pictures I've seen the Venture Shield looks a little "plasticky". Does it look that way in person?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='559083' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:03 AM
My 3M has been on for 3 years. I have a lifetime warranty. The company that did it does all the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati cars in Washington, DC. They also do many BMW dealerships. Autobahnd is the name. http://www.autobahndint.com/
That's the same company I was thinking of going with. What did you pay for product and install?

Quick Reply: 3M clear bra