E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2009 E61 ICE Upgrade Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport
Default 2009 E61 ICE Upgrade Options?

Hi,

I've got a Jan 2009 build E61 535d M Sport with basic iDrive system. It includes the smaller display with a single slot CD and 8 programmable buttons. It has no navigation or USB or iPod integration although it does have CD changer prep according to the spec sheet. Having looked in behind the glovebox I can see a single cable wrapper in foam tape but I think it's maybe only a power cable as I can't see the green fibre optic cables. It does have an AUX socket but this is cumbersome to use with my iPhone. I have confirmed that I can play MP3 audio from the CD player and I get track names displayed in the iDrive too. Am I correct in describing my system as "iDrive Business M-ASK" ? It's not CCC or CIC is it as these both have nav if I understand correctly.

Here are the relevant options from the VIN to spec lookup:
S698A Area-code 2 for DVD
S661A Radio BMW Business (C43)
S694A Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer

I'm looking for a system which will provide audio and podcast connectivity for my iPhone 5 as well as handsfree telephone capability. I want to be able to control everything from the iDrive, including looking up telephone numbers and audio/podcast tracks. I've looked at the Dension Gateway 500S + BT system and spoke to a dealer in Glasgow this afternoon. He said that they don't stock them anymore as they have had a lot of trouble getting them to work and now do fitment only at a £40 / hour charge with no guarantee of success. Not encouraging...

I'm an electronics engineer and have a lot of practical electronics and automative experience so I'm confident I can fit the system ok. I've also bought a K + DCAN USB Interface from One Stop Electronics and am in the process of learning about NCS Expert and other tools to help me code the car if necessary. Hopefully that won't be necessary though if MP3 is working and CD changer prep is in place.

So, before I bite the bullet and order a Dension system, ca anyone advise me on the likelihood of getting it to work on my car? Also, are there any other options which would achieve the same goals with perhaps less cost or greater chance of success?

Many thanks,
Craig.