E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

08' refresh - exhaust and suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Hello to the board,

The press release for the refresh says "The 550i sedan?s new optional Sports Package with Aerodynamic Kit also adds to the vehicles aggressive attitude: from its sportier sounding differentiated exhaust pipes and M Sport Suspension, down to new 19? double spoke alloy wheels (non run-flat) that carry the whole design forward."

I am definitely going to upgrade exhaust and suspension on my 550i sport. The exhaust is discretionary, but the suspension I see as a necessity. I like Dinan for both exhaust and suspension upgrades. Now, BMW has upgraded both for the new sport package...

Three questions:

1) Any opinions on whether to retrofit the BMW parts or still go Dinan?
2) Won't the BMW parts likely be a bit cheaper? The current 550 OEM exhaust (rear muffler) is $975, the Dinan replacement is $1499. If the new 550 sport exhaust for the 08' refresh makes the car sound like a 650 I'd be satisfied...? As for the suspesnion, the Dinan JRZ setup is $3300 + labor. I don't think the BMW M sport shocks, springs and bump stops to be used on the refresh sport package will cost as much???
3) When do OEM parts specific to a new model become available? When the car goes on sale? A certain number of parts are obviously produced before production begins. But when are they available for retrofit?

Thanks for any input.

DRP
Old 01-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent questions ... and I have no answers - sorry.

But I'm considering some of the same actions. I was considering Dinan stuff before the LCI was announced. So now my head is spinning with possibilities:

1) Upgrade with various LCI bits & pieces (exhaust, suspension, headlamps)
2) Upgrade with Dinan (CAI, throttle body, software, exhaust ... maybe suspension)
3) Trade in for a 2008 550i Sport (Carbon Black/Natural Brown).
4) For about the same $$$ as #3, trade in for a nice used M5.

I probably won't do anything for a few months until we know more about the new sport automatic transmission.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I am in a lease and so I will upgrade only what is necessary to enjoy the car while I have it. Suspension is a must.

And as I see it, the facelifted 550i sport coming to the U.S. will have the world's only M tuned suspension set up designed around the active anti-roll bar (ARS). The euro spec M sport 5 series models use conventional sway bars, and the euro spec dynamic drive (aka ARS) option isn't offered with M sport shocks, springs etc.. I'm rather excited about that. And as a bonus, the refreshed sports package M sport shocks and springs will be tuned for use with non-run flat tires and 19 in. wheels - which I have. I am finally going to get the car I wanted! When the bits become available from BMW.

DRP
Old 01-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='378177' date='Jan 14 2007, 09:29 PM
I am in a lease and so I will upgrade only what is necessary to enjoy the car while I have it. Suspension is a must.

And as I see it, the facelifted 550i sport coming to the U.S. will have the world's only M tuned suspension set up designed around the active anti-roll bar (ARS). The euro spec M sport 5 series models use conventional sway bars, and the euro spec dynamic drive (aka ARS) option isn't offered with M sport shocks, springs etc.. I'm rather excited about that. And as a bonus, the refreshed sports package M sport shocks and springs will be tuned for use with non-run flat tires and 19 in. wheels - which I have. I am finally going to get the car I wanted! When the bits become available from BMW.

DRP
How sure is this?

Dynamic Drive and M Sport Suspension? I dont think so.

Both of them are a kind of suspension for the car.Its like having both sports and comfort seats.You cant.One replaces the other.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530i_msport' post='378180' date='Jan 14 2007, 03:41 PM
How sure is this?

Dynamic Drive and M Sport Suspension? I dont think so.

Both of them are a kind of suspension for the car.Its like having both sports and comfort seats.You cant.One replaces the other.
The Dynamic Drive or ARS uses what the BMW parts catalogue describes as "sporty" shocks, bump stops and springs, as opposed to the non-sport suspension in the U.S. which uses standard shocks, bump stops, springs and roll bars. An E60 M sport in Canada, Europe, Australia etc... uses suspension components listed as "M sport" in the BMW catalogue [they are the firmest and most extreme]. But as you rightly said, BMW has not combined M sport suspension components with the dynamic drive hydraulic anti-roll bar. UNTIL NOW! Read the press release on the BMW website, it describes the new sports suspension for the 550i as "M sport suspension". The materials also confirm the continued use of ARS. It's not impossible that this new M sport suspension for the 550 in the U.S. will forego ARS and that the literature is simply confusing, but my guess is that in response to the huge number of complaints about the ARS suspension being floaty and un-BMW-like at high speeds, BMW chose to upgrade it by having the boys down the road at BMW M GmbH tune new shocks, springs and bump stops for the dynamic drive cars - thus making it an M sport suspension. BMW must want to perfect its ARS system. After all, Porsche is now using it on the new Cayenne. To abandon it completely would smell of failure. N'est pas?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new suspension combined with ARS is intriguing, but if you're going to bother upgrading then definitely go aftermarket. The new OEM suspension may be an improvement over the current sports package, but if you really want a well sorted car, then it probably won't meet your expectations.

I think dinan is overpriced, but just get the dinan/JRZs and be done with it. Either the JRZs or some coilovers like KWs or PSS9s should make you happy.

If you don't want to spend that much money, then a good spring/shock combo like some eibachs and konis should do you well. If you don't go to the track, then it's more than enough.