E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

World first from SUPERSPRINT

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Yes left hand drive M5s can get headers! BUT currently there is no RIGHT hand drive full exhaust system for the E60 M5 headers back. UNTIL now! several companies make left hand drive headers but they are totally different to a right hand drive system due steering rack and various engine compartment components. But struck a deal with SUPERSRPINT to work on my beast and produce a full system!

After my long and interesting drive through Englan, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy to The SUPERSPRINT facility in Mantova Italy I met with the company director, Alessandro, a very impressive man with unrivalled knowledge of the M5 and exhaust system, not to mention some VERY interesting projects in their facility involving the new 5 series I'd love to talk about, but can't! I was thinking this is a simple case of reverse engineering the left hand drive header system. Not so! Alessandro did explain to me why but if I'm honest he lost me! They are starting from scratch with headers and taking dyno results all the way through the process with different sections of the exhaust.

First of all I had to get the car back to standard with no mods so that the exhaust gains could be demonstrated. So the pulleys, block off plates, scoops, filters came off. The car felt a bit strange after. I'm told because the ECU remap was set up for the car with mods so it was a bit down power due to running differently. Either way it went on the dyno as 492 BHP. So far SUPERSPRINT have added mid section and mufflers, without primary cat delete and we can see a gain 10bhp already! Cat delete and headers still to come! I will update with more dyno results as we go forward! Frankly I'm like a small child at Christmas! Cant wait to get the beast back some extra power and sounding as mean as a V10 should sound! Full system for lef hand drive car gives around 50bhp gain AND souns like a V10 should sound!

Obviously once all done, the fun drive BACK to UK starts then bolt on the add ons again and get another custom remap.

The facility and testing starting!

Problems getting traction with too much power on the rollers. added a lot weights the boot then 2 people on back seats and 2 guys in the boot! That worked!

Before Dyno

Work so far dyno
Old 05-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

Looking good, whats the price break-down from the headers to section 3?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport. It has Heads Up Display...need I say more...

I can imagine this is not going to cheap...otherwise I would love to consider this.