E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

whats wrong with my smg?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

so my rim is beyond the point of repair from the damn potholes, i just had my fuel vent valves replaced, the alternator belt snapped and I replaced that, now this.

what a terrible new year thus far for my car!

help me figure out whats wrong watch these quick lil vids i took on the way home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVW4KbIMWX8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0sVUqsFl4U

doesn't slip on the way up. on de accel in 3rd gear and higher, the car goes into neutral then reengages the gear by itself a while later or when you hit the gas.

what am i lookin at here?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Humm so i think your second vid shows best what you're trying to say right? say you're traveling in 4th and then let off the gas and let the car coast the transmission shifts into neutral while the gear indicator still shows you're in 4th... and then all of a sudden it decides to re-engage 4th while still coasting?

That is weird... I dont think I've ever experienced that..
Old 03-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

second vid does show it better.

yea i rev up take my foot off completely and the clutch automatically disengages about 2-3 seconds after i'm off the gas. then about 10-15 seconds later the clutch just grabs again (i still never put my foot on the gas). if I put my foot on the gas while its idling in neutral it kicks back into gear. first time its happen. out of nowhere and just continues to do it. i'm making an appointment but i'd hope someone has had this happen and give me a taste as to what i'm looking at repair wise
Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

how many miles do you have? Usually with the SMG its one of two things either the clutch or the SMG pump...
Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Members

~55k

i've been reading that people are having this issue after changing their rims or getting flats. go figure something to do with SMG slip detection?

my pump is fine because i can choose any gear i want and i have no problem shifting at any rpm at any setting.

the clutch holds and doesn't slip on the way up in p500s so I also find it hard to believe its the clutch.

and i know the dealer is gonna F me and tell me to change one part, then another, o wait we found this wrong too until the cars running right cause

none of them know anything about smg
Old 03-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

Hmm, hopefully someone can chime in who may have experienced this or knows what the issue may be. I just recently got my car back from the dealer and had the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate replaced under warranty at 35k miles. I asked how much it would've cost out of warranty and my SA quoted me ~$5K Thank god I was covered!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by skunkd
~55k

i've been reading that people are having this issue after changing their rims or getting flats. go figure something to do with SMG slip detection?

my pump is fine because i can choose any gear i want and i have no problem shifting at any rpm at any setting.

the clutch holds and doesn't slip on the way up in p500s so I also find it hard to believe its the clutch.

and i know the dealer is gonna F me and tell me to change one part, then another, o wait we found this wrong too until the cars running right cause

none of them know anything about smg

Have you tried resetting the tranny?

Puck a flat road get to 35+ mph shift the gee lever into neutral, make sure the dash says N then hold both levers,upshift and downshift together for 3-5 secs while costing in N
Old 03-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Contributors

I don't think there's any indication of the reset. I just do it a few times just it make sure I got it at least one if the times
Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Oh wow I just noticed it on the first video, when u let off the gas the RPM goes down than it hits it like ur switching to lower gear, but actually u are not. I just noticed the problem, man you gotta go talk to your local BMW dealership and feagure out this problem. Remember you cant buy life.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

i hate reading posts like this and i hate that us as SMG owners have to experience such BS, if your pump, clutch flywheel release bearing was replaced under warranty than you have 2 year warranty on your transmission and you should call NA to verify that you can take it iin, and let them diagnose the problem cause it could be from that. But i think your issue is the release bearing is dry, you have to drop the transmission and grease that shit up, i read a thread about it on M5board yesterday, your clutch may not be flying back an forth correctly

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...tely-pics.html

sorry about your problems hope it turns out ok for you. good luck

Quick Reply: whats wrong with my smg?