E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

What would you do in this case......?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys, I have a very interesting one for you. I am in an interesting predicament- I had a nail in the shoulder of my left rear tire and although not recommended, the tire guy patched it up and I was back running. However he said that he was very skeptical on that, as there is always a chance that the same hole may re-open. My car is an M5 with stock rims and tires. So, as predicted- I had a flat over 2 days or so. It was the same hole and this time the guy said he couldnt fix it over the same patch. So now, I have two options- I would have to either purchase one tire (approx 7000 miles already on the tires) for about $600/- OR if I consider buying two tires and go wider than OEM (305/30ZR/19 Michelin PS2) then he may consider a buyback of another tire I have of my 7er which is lying in the garage and I would get a pair of rears of the 305s for $550/-. Obviously the latter sounds better as I will get a pair hence equal wear'n'tear from now on; Michelin over Yokohama (I presume thats an advantage) and I am getting cooler, beefier looking wider tires!! Btw, I mostly need em for summer only.

Now, what I request you is two things: First, what option you would choose from the above and Second, can you please tell me the pros and cons in my going wider. What should I expect and what are the most significant advantages and disadvantages?

Also will I need to roll fenders for 305s?

I need to take a decision on Thursday, so your prompt reply is much awaited and appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Kris
Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Members

i was just in India in march, went to Bangalore.
Firstly i would have never patched the sidewall. Secondly i'm not sure that 305's will fit on the sock rims. if the stock set are PS2s then im guessing 7000 miles on the other good tire is pretty worn. so i would opt for two new tires that would fit the OEM rims, whether they are 305 or not. My two cents.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

ya either go with two new tires, or try to find a used tire with same amount of tread. a used tire should be cheaper than either of your options.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

i feel like 305's will def rub. not only on the fender but the suspension as well
Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Members

Oh wow Sattman, why were you there and if you are ever in Mumbai, lemme know and we'll meet up for a drink.

Well, the guy had installed a 305 on another M5 and apparently there was no rolling required and did not rub on either side.

If I go in for the upping, what am I to expect? Will my mileage go down drastically? Will acceleration reduce? What about traction in the rains? etc etc?

Kris
Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: M5

Whats the wheel offset on the 20x11 wheel you are trying to fit? I had 20x11 with 295 with no issues at all and now will be trying out some 305s.