E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Well, I finally went and did it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After humming and hawing for many years, I finally took the plunge and a January '07 M5 will soon be in my hands!

Any tips or tricks on how to get used to an M5 compared to my current car (details in sig)?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by cjbryce
After humming and hawing for many years, I finally took the plunge and a January '07 M5 will soon be in my hands!

Any tips or tricks on how to get used to an M5 compared to my current car (details in sig)?

CONGRATS on the "new" baby!!!! Quite a step up, and if your biggest concern is getting used to driving it then you have a problem most of us would love to have
Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Tips and Tricks? For me... i had driven high powered cars before, but never my own personally, and never to this caliber..

I suggest that for the 1st few days drive around in P400, and get used to how the car handles, reacts and the 400hp power... Then when you get into playing with the P500 settings(probably relatively quickly as its addicting), try out a bunch of different settings and find whats best for you, personally i use; P500S EDC1 MDM (Tranny speed 5)

I found, although expensive on tires, going into a large parking lot and testing the cars limits were great for me. I got used to controlling the car in the event of a slide(or if i want to whip it around a corner) and how the car reacts to sticky circumstances.

Before long you will be VERY comfortable driving your beast, and then its TRACK TIME!!!!

Cheers man and congrats on the new purchase!!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Aartsy19
Tips and Tricks? For me... i had driven high powered cars before, but never my own personally, and never to this caliber..

I suggest that for the 1st few days drive around in P400, and get used to how the car handles, reacts and the 400hp power... Then when you get into playing with the P500 settings(probably relatively quickly as its addicting), try out a bunch of different settings and find whats best for you, personally i use; P500S EDC1 MDM (Tranny speed 5)

I found, although expensive on tires, going into a large parking lot and testing the cars limits were great for me. I got used to controlling the car in the event of a slide(or if i want to whip it around a corner) and how the car reacts to sticky circumstances.

Before long you will be VERY comfortable driving your beast, and then its TRACK TIME!!!!

Thanks all.

Done about 500 miles so far. Maybe about 40 in M-mode which I'm still experimenting with to get my preferences set. What a machine! In M on the twisties, it's great, in M on the motorway it's great. In fact in P500 mode all round, it's great (if a little scary at first )

Still rather getting used to SMG in P400 around town, especially from a cold start it can be a bit, erm, thumpy. I find that upping it from default to 1-click on the shift setting makes it a bit smoother, but also it holds gears longer so it's a tad noisier for the neighbours (and I'm not trying to be noisy!).
Old 03-31-2010, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

congrads on the purchase and post the pics up asap.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

P500s all the time!

Congrats and welcome to the M family.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

I am ADDICTED to driving in M mode.. I just love the difference in exhaust tone when in M mode, probably another reason why i should get on an RPI Exhaust setup ASAP.

M MODE ALWAYS!!! Not great on fuel economy.. but what can ya do!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cjbryce
Thanks all.

Done about 500 miles so far. Maybe about 40 in M-mode which I'm still experimenting with to get my preferences set. What a machine! In M on the twisties, it's great, in M on the motorway it's great. In fact in P500 mode all round, it's great (if a little scary at first )

Still rather getting used to SMG in P400 around town, especially from a cold start it can be a bit, erm, thumpy. I find that upping it from default to 1-click on the shift setting makes it a bit smoother, but also it holds gears longer so it's a tad noisier for the neighbours (and I'm not trying to be noisy!).

congrats!

you'll learn quickly that P400 is useless unless you are driving in heavy snow/ice or heavy rain, otherwise its M Mode- P500S/S5/MDM/EDC Normal!

shifts are smoother the higher up the Tach that you go, so keep that in mind!

good luck
Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Aartsy19

+ 1 !

Use the P400, when you feel you have control ( and ask your self 10 thousand times if you do ) press the M button and you cna activate P500 S, otherwise get used to this beauty because you deffinitly got the best sport sedan in the world.

Congratz mate
Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Contributors

M mode all the time baby!! woo!

Congrats on my dream car.

Quick Reply: Well, I finally went and did it.