E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Test Drove M5 Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you like to low end torque? How is it compared to your 545?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you change the 545 for a M5? Money aside.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by stream' post='193562
wow, im surprised a dealer actually let someone testdrive the m5. cool beans.
I couldn't believe it when they said they were going to have an M5 demo. They're probably the only dealer in the US with one!
[/quote]

Russ, i went down to East bay today and saw the beast! OMG look so GORGEOUS! Went over to look for Helen, a very nice and sweet looking saleswoman. It was about 7pm so she couldn't allow me for test drive, i will go there again on Monday for the test drive, CAN'T WAIT!

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Lucky you too!!!
Old 11-05-2005, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by cidair' post='193789' date='Nov 5 2005, 05:35 PM
What kind of question is this, the answer of course is yes. I don't care if you have some logic in your answer because the only time you go with logic is when you don't have the money and you have to constraint yourself thinking about the M5
Old 11-05-2005, 06:58 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by my530i' post='193656' date='Nov 4 2005, 03:26 PM
Did you like to low end torque? How is it compared to your 545?
In P500 mode the low end torque is quite good, and is enhanced by the improved throttle response (vs. P400), and P500 Sport mode (which I didn't try) has even further improved throttle response. Given all that I've read, and knowing that this is a high revving engine, I think my expectations were to not expect tons of low end torque, but I was pleasantly surprised. The other thing I found is that the engine is very free revving, so you don't stay down in the low RPM band for very long!

More low end torque than my 545i, but certainly not as much as my old W211 E55.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by cidair' post='193789' date='Nov 5 2005, 01:35 AM
Well...yes!!

But when you put money into the equation it's not as obvious an answer. To trade my 545i for an M5 would mean paying another $50K. Of course the M5 is superior in acceleration and handling (and the exhaust note when accelerating is awesome). The question is, on US roads (and since I don't track my cars) how often would I be able to take advantage of the performance differential, and is that worth an additional $50K?

As I said above, when I got back into my 545i to drive home, for the first 20 minutes it did feel a bit sluggish, but driving it the following day I thought to myself--this is a great car, why would I spend another $50K for an M5? And as pleasantly surprised as I was about SMGIII, something inside me says it wouldn't be as enjoyable as a stick. Decisions, decisions!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

Hey Stream could you comment on the M5's ride quality vs your 545i since the M5 doesn't have Run Flats like your 5. Also how about the steering vs Active steering and the None Active antiroll bars?

please comment as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by stream' post='193894' date='Nov 5 2005, 08:09 AM
And as pleasantly surprised as I was about SMGIII, something inside me says it wouldn't be as enjoyable as a stick. Decisions, decisions!
For whatever reason, some people just don't understand this.
Perhaps SMG or even an automatic is in the future for me, but for now, I too still enjoy shifting manually.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' post='194941' date='Nov 7 2005, 06:39 PM
Hey Stream could you comment on the M5's ride quality vs your 545i since the M5 doesn't have Run Flats like your 5. Also how about the steering vs Active steering and the None Active antiroll bars?

please comment as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Let me first say that I prefer a stiff suspension, so keep that in mind when reading my comments.

I found the M5's ride quality to be similar to my 545i. I drove in sport mode (stiffest) most of the time, and honestly didn't feel that much of a difference in normal mode (softest). I intentionally drove over some rough patches and (slowly) over a few speed bumps, and didn't find the suspension harsh at all. I honestly was more focused on SMG during the drive and didn't focus much on the suspension, but at no point did I think it was uncomfortable. The M5 uses electronic damping control (vs. the active stabilizer bar approach in ARS) which is a more sophisticated system and better suited to sporty driving (the new Carrera uses a similar system, for example). Body roll is very well controlled, and EDC does a better job than ARS of keeping the rubber in contact with the road on rough patches--due to its continuously adjusting the shock firmness as road conditions vary--which enhances handling quality and confidence.

The M5 steering felt tighter than my car (in a good way), and is very communicative (more so than my car). The turning ratio is higher than a non-M E60 without AS, and it's a variable ratio system. The ratio increases as the steering wheel is turned away from center, as opposed to AS which is speed sensitive. Like EDC, more suited to sporty driving (again, the new Carrera has a similar system). And you can select between 2 levels of servotronic assist.

Overall, the car feels smaller, lighter, and more nimble than the 4,000+ lb sedan it is. Physics prevents it from handling like a 3,000 lb sports car, but it's clearly the best handling sedan I've driven.

Quick Reply: Test Drove M5 Today!!!