E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

swap out M5 for M3??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

i hate the fact that i am considering this, but as the M5 is my wifes daily driver, and UK parking spaces just don't cater, combined with the fuel costs crushing the resale of my car.
i'd like my wife to have something a little smaller, and it's now possible as we no longer have the need to put push chairs in the boot (trunk).
i absolutely LOVE the M5 .. love the look. love the sound. love the feel. love the attention it gets. and love smoking everything !!
i've been looking at the new M3 .. in particular, the sedan version.
what do you guys think? i've not even tested a new 3, let alone any M version. anyone here have both and would like to give me their opinions?

p.s. was scanning an M3 forum, and someone there was contemplating either the M3 or M5 .. this was someone's response!! i highlight the areas where i'm sure some of us will have something to say..

"Well it sounds like you already know you are never going to be able to toss around a M5 like you can the M3. The M5 is a highway monster but it doesn't sound like that is exactly what you want. I think the M3 sedan is going to end up selling better than even BMW imagined. I just think it is that perfect blend between the M3 coupe and the M5 for us guys over 30 that have clients, families, kids, etc. M5 to me says 50+, loaded, and not necessarily a BMW enthusiast. E90 M3 says 30+ that loves performance cars but has decided to be a bit more practical even though we still feel 25. I say go with the M3. It cost less, performs almost as well in the straight line, probably beats the M5 on the track, and I think it looks better than the coupe as well so that is just a bonus"
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

erm.............hard one, stick to the M5 mate!!

if you can that is, otherwise considered the 335i M Sport saloon?

failing which then a 4 door saloon M3 E90 would be good!

Good luck

ps Gaydon meet 10TH august

/www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk

Another excellent day for the family, i,l be there with the kids this time.............hope its sunny!!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='640001' date='Aug 5 2008, 02:13 PM
erm.............hard one, stick to the M5 mate!!

if you can that is, otherwise considered the 335i M Sport saloon?

failing which then a 4 door saloon M3 E90 would be good!

Good luck

ps Gaydon meet 10TH august

/www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk

Another excellent day for the family, i,l be there with the kids this time.............hope its sunny!!
hi mate,
yeah, i got your pm and my bad for not replying. won't be able to make this one as have family commitments pretty much every weekend through August now. but thanks for the show.

the change is not driven by cash flow, more the need to have something a little smaller for the wife to drive, but still enough to make me want to get in it!!!
i really like the E90 M3 saloon (sedan), but would want to have the DCT tranny as the wife doesn't want to go back to manual. as far as i can see, it's only available on the vert right now. so it means either waiting for them to put this in the options list, or maybe just opt out of M altogether and go for the greener machine .. 335i.
my personal choice, if no wife/kid commitments, would be the M6. that's what i originally wanted but the wife won that fight!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 - M5

I contemplated a M3 before i bought my M5 but i just didn't feel special enough behind the wheel (it was just to much like a std 3 series with M logos stuck on).
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Donski-D' post='640170' date='Aug 5 2008, 06:07 PM
I contemplated a M3 before i bought my M5 but i just didn't feel special enough behind the wheel (it was just to much like a std 3 series with M logos stuck on).
interesting thx.. i like the look of them, but then, i like the look of the standard 3 coupe. and you're right, there's something just special driving around in the M5.. knowing you have a V10 in front of you is just special. maybe i should take an M3 out this weekend and see how it feels.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by JayEll' post='639979' date='Aug 5 2008, 06:56 AM
i hate the fact that i am considering this, but as the M5 is my wifes daily driver, and UK parking spaces just don't cater, combined with the fuel costs crushing the resale of my car.
i'd like my wife to have something a little smaller, and it's now possible as we no longer have the need to put push chairs in the boot (trunk).
i absolutely LOVE the M5 .. love the look. love the sound. love the feel. love the attention it gets. and love smoking everything !!
i've been looking at the new M3 .. in particular, the sedan version.
what do you guys think? i've not even tested a new 3, let alone any M version. anyone here have both and would like to give me their opinions?

p.s. was scanning an M3 forum, and someone there was contemplating either the M3 or M5 .. this was someone's response!! i highlight the areas where i'm sure some of us will have something to say..

"Well it sounds like you already know you are never going to be able to toss around a M5 like you can the M3. The M5 is a highway monster but it doesn't sound like that is exactly what you want. I think the M3 sedan is going to end up selling better than even BMW imagined. I just think it is that perfect blend between the M3 coupe and the M5 for us guys over 30 that have clients, families, kids, etc. M5 to me says 50+, loaded, and not necessarily a BMW enthusiast. E90 M3 says 30+ that loves performance cars but has decided to be a bit more practical even though we still feel 25. I say go with the M3. It cost less, performs almost as well in the straight line, probably beats the M5 on the track, and I think it looks better than the coupe as well so that is just a bonus"

HUGE DOWNGRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT DO IT
Old 08-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jdcinc21' post='640235' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:03 PM
HUGE DOWNGRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT DO IT
that bad? i too believe it is a downgrade, but wouldn't have put it at "huge". i saw a SSII M3 on the way home last night and thought it looked real nice. i'm finding it hard to give up on 10 cylinders though. wife thinks we should keep it. maybe i see out 1 year of ownership then trade.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by JayEll' post='640646' date='Aug 6 2008, 03:34 AM
that bad? i too believe it is a downgrade, but wouldn't have put it at "huge". i saw a SSII M3 on the way home last night and thought it looked real nice. i'm finding it hard to give up on 10 cylinders though. wife thinks we should keep it. maybe i see out 1 year of ownership then trade.
Dont get me wrong the M3 is very nice.

But its no M5!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Members

A bit off the wall but how about a 335D Coupe - very nice quick motor and you will also get 35mpg.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SteveNotto' post='640862' date='Aug 6 2008, 06:12 PM
A bit off the wall but how about a 335D Coupe - very nice quick motor and you will also get 35mpg.

with you there .. but wife absolutely refuses to drive a diesel. i'd happily get a 335D and DMS it.

Quick Reply: swap out M5 for M3??