E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

still doing "homework" on the M5

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

I'm still in my initial research and work-up for my next car after the 550i lease runs, and of course, the M5 is high on the list. I did see something interesting that made me think "hmmm...." and thought I woudl share it here to see what folks thought. I am not trying to start an SMG vs. 6MT war, I promise.

Anyhow, I was reading an article about the M5 vs. E63 comparisons, and there was an interesting point about the fact that the 6 Speed manual m5 was half a second slower from 0-60 than the SMG.

"The new M5's V-10 was designed to be allied with the seven-speed SMG. Bolting the same engine to the six-speed entailed a proviso. With the SMG, the driver had the option of disabling the dynamic stability-control (DSC) system. When you opt for the manual, you don't get that option. A little dashboard button labeled MDM ? for "M Dynamic Mode" ? raises the DSC intervention threshold, but unlike the SMG version, it can't be completely shut down and is always on guard. When wheelspin is detected, DSC goes to work, damping the throttle, sometimes squeezing the big cross-drilled brake rotors.

Would you be surprised to hear that this doesn't have a positive effect on acceleration? Or lap times on the Streets of Willow? Or making a hot exit from a slow corner? Of course you wouldn't. Because that's precisely what happens. This M5 was a half-second slower to 60 mph than the SMG version we tested in January 2006 ? 4.7 versus 4.2 ? and a half-second slower through the quarter-mile: 13.0 seconds at 114 mph versus 12.5 at 118. DSC also inhibited lane-change performance (60.8 mph versus 65.6) and skidpad results (0.83 lateral g versus 0.89).

All of this is attributable to product-liability issues, specifically, concerns about axle tramp, a.k.a. wheel hop, during full-throttle launches, which could break expensive drivetrain bits and irritate the well-heeled owners BMW would prefer to keep happy.

On the other hand, when those owners want everything their M5s can deliver, DSC's relentless vigil is going to be pretty irritating, too
. "

Source: Car and Driver

[http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_test]

But other sources suggest just the opposite:

"Paying homage to the Formula 1 racing efforts with a V10 configuration, the BMW M5 contains the same zest for performance. Designed to deliver the maximum 500 horsepower at 6,100 rpms, the BMW M5 roars assertively with the aid of either a seven-speed SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) with paddle-shifter controls or the more conventional six-speed manual transmission.

Granting the driver the ability to shift his seven-speed automatic with Drivelogic control, the BMW M5's SMG transmission hits 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, while the six-speed manual jumps from a standing start to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds
"

Source: askmen.com

[http://www.askmen.com/cars/car_vs_ca...r_vs_car.html]

Granted, I understand that not everything on the internet is accurate (what the hell is askmen.com?) and that reviews are a very subjective thing, but it made me wonder if anyone has owned or spent significant time in the two variants of the M5 to comment whether the difference in 0-60 time is really discernible between the two transmissions?

For a guy who drives aggressively, but never on the track or power drifting, would the lack of an ability to turn off DSC really affect me much?

Sorry to go on and on, but I love talking and researching cars, and hearing from people with real world experience!

- Pete aka Lawguy
Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Contributors

get the smg. Automatic/tiptronic/smg transmissions are very well designed now a days. In the past, the technology wasn't as great as it is now which made the manual trans much faster and better. The smg transmission can shift much quicker than the manual...even if it was driven by a professional.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I read all of the major car mags. Most reviewers find that the M5 SMG is a superior performer to the M5 manual transmission for precisely the reason articulated by Car and Driver: it was designed around the SMG and the manual was an add on later due to the demand of some traditionalist enthusiasts in the U.S.

I'd go with the SMG.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Test drove the SMG, WOW!!! What a blast, if I could I would go SMG for sure.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

I personally love the feel of a true manual. However, the closer ratios, the additional gear, and the extremely quick shifts made me decide that I wanted SMG
Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Contributors

smg it
Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

SMG for the M5 every time. The car was designed for SMG, and the transmission perfectly matches the car. The 6 speed in the M5 was something an afterthought. I don't think the 6MT E60 M5 is even available in many markets - it may even be North America only.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Members

After fighting with the SMG and then coming to an agreement with it....

It shines at full-throttle upshifts. Faster than my racecar with no-lift-to-shift in the magasquirt programming. Pretty much everything else is slower than a manual, even if you include things like rev-matching or even double-clutching. Any shift done at normal engine speed/throttle position feels like a 1950s automatic, no matter the transmission setting. Downshifts can be irritating (ie: they don't always happen) if you want to grab more than 4 gears at once. Even in S6 upshifts at 4000 RPM feels like you are a one-armed-man having the person in the passenger seat shift while you operate the gas and clutch.

So.. it's great when you want every last tiny bit of performance, but really a piece of shit when it comes to daily driving.
My M5 gets about 40% of the daily driving despite the SMG, which tells you something about the car overall.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Your mind will be made up once you've driven both...and I did.

SMG made me smile ear to ear.

The manual was a pain in the balls....and it's also a carry-over tranny from the E39 M5. I found it clunky. I didn't really "drive" an M5 till I drove the SMG, if you know what I mean.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

DrLev - why dont you have the M5 anymore?

LOVE your 550i pic. Its hard to justify thinking about am M5, when the 550i is such a great car in its own right!