E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Slightly unexpected behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a trip on Sunday I twice wanted to quickly overtake traffic travelling at about 50mph, so I pressed the M button and floored the accelerator - and nothing happened. M-mode engaged OK (at least the HUD was in M-Mode) but the effect of flooring it was nothing, nada. No downshift, no extra acceleration.

I rescued the situation by changing gear manually, but was surprised at the lack of (automated) response. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Members

i never let the car shift for me. use manual and you wont have that problem again.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cjbryce
On a trip on Sunday I twice wanted to quickly overtake traffic travelling at about 50mph, so I pressed the M button and floored the accelerator - and nothing happened. M-mode engaged OK (at least the HUD was in M-Mode) but the effect of flooring it was nothing, nada. No downshift, no extra acceleration.

I rescued the situation by changing gear manually, but was surprised at the lack of (automated) response. Am I doing something wrong?
M mode is manual (SMG) shift (at least that is what i have it set to)..when in D mode and then pressing the M button, the gearbox stays in the same gear as you were in in D mode, but implements the extra power and the settings that you have pre-selected in the menu...

So in this instance, you would have to manually downshift to get to the gear you wanted... or set your M settings to Automatic gearbox..

At least that is my interpretation on what is happening!... The power and M settings are there, you just have to manually downshift!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Aartsy19
M mode is manual (SMG) shift (at least that is what i have it set to)..when in D mode and then pressing the M button, the gearbox stays in the same gear as you were in in D mode, but implements the extra power and the settings that you have pre-selected in the menu...

So in this instance, you would have to manually downshift to get to the gear you wanted... or set your M settings to Automatic gearbox..

At least that is my interpretation on what is happening!... The power and M settings are there, you just have to manually downshift!
Aha, thanks for this. Stupid boy - I should RTFM